New Sufjan Stevens EP available now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, I need to give that thing a few more listens, but it was really interesting - in a very good way - upon first go-round.

Favorite right off the bat is Age of Adz, and I was really pulled in by the 25 minute track.

Lots of really great and beautiful moments all throughout this sucker.

Very nice. Impressions / review after tomorrow, please.

I still have 2 weeks until he plays here.

JT, could you tell me about what time the opener (if there is one) and Sujfan came on? Sort of trying to plan some things around that right now. Doors are at 7, which would lead me to believe THE SOOF! would be on somewhere around 9 or 9:30 whether there's an opener or not.

I think Sufjan came on around 9 or shortly after. Played till just after 11. There was an opener, but it was just one of the guys in his band. He played a little acoustic set. wasnt too bad actually, but I wouldnt be heartbroken if I missed him

I'm actually less enamored with the album on second listen. It's bizarre as hell, sporadically beautiful, often repetitive, and always misguided. A few tracks are awesome and will stick with me, but I'm a bit nonplussed about the rest.

Incredible:

Futile Devices
I Walked
Impossible Soul

Cool:

Get Real Get Right
Bad Communication

Whatever:

Too Much
Now That I'm Older
Vesuvius
All For Myself

Hopeless:

Age of Adz
I Want To Be Well (most pretentious lyrics in the history of time; Sufjan even speaks to himself in the third person)

I want to compare this to Justin Vernon's horrendous Volcano Choir side project, but much of this album is actually salvageable. I just couldn't imagine sitting through this live when he's ignoring Romulus, Detroit, the entirety of Seven Swans and Casimir Pulaski Day. Like Dalton said, I'm sure the crowd reaction would be the highlight.

Well, that was a thing. At first I thought it was an unfortunately misguided attempt at Sufjan to make electro music, but not unsuccessful, just a bit dull. Then the album continued and it just turned dull.

Had a few tracks I liked though, "Futile Devices", "I Walked", and "Impossible Soul" has moments of brilliance bogged down by the same repetition and over-the-top antics of the rest of the album.

Seven Swans
Too Much
Age of Adz
Heirloom
I Walked
Futile Devices
Vesuvius
Owl and the Tanager
Get Real Get Right
Enchanting Ghost
Impossible Soul
Chicago

Concerning the UFO Sighting
Casimir Pulaski Day
The Dress Looks Nice On You
John Wayne Gacy Jr

Boooooooner.

Maybe he felt we earned it. I've never been part of a longer standing ovation.

Visuals were very well done. Band was unfathomably tight. THE SOOF!'s dance moves were oddly endearing. And the new stuff sounded that much better live. Keep in mind that's coming from someone who adores the new album apart from the Waiting For Guffman-aping "Get Real Get Right." How they manage to pull off "Impossible Soul" is beyond me, but it was pretty surreal to see performed in its entirety.

Like JT and the Chief mentioned, it's really obvious that most people at these shows haven't listened to the new material, be it the EP or LP. I didn't notice people leaving or anything, but the resounding laughter once the auto-tune bit in "Impossible Soul" kicked in was a telltale sign.

That's a great set, Imps. Hopefully by the time he gets to NYC the setlist will have a good mix of new and old tunes. Seven Swans and That Dress... are the shit.

Very nice, Imps. I'm very jealous, hoping I get something similar set-wise in a week and a half.

I'm actually surprised to see so much negativity for the album here, as it's being fairly well received in the other places I've seen. I think it's great as well, particularly compared to the EP. There are two songs I find forgettable, and I think Impossible Soul doesn't deserve it's length, but there's nothing I actually dislike.

I still don't understand complaints over an artist primarily playing new material live, but whatevs. Seems like it should be expected, artists other than U2 are actually proud of their new material.
Heyo!

I still don't understand complaints over an artist primarily playing new material live, but whatevs. Seems like it should be expected, artists other than U2 are actually proud of their new material.

The National wasn't getting shit for performing 9-10 from High Violet every night, and people were actually complaining about LCD Soundsystem not playing enough from This Is Happening. I think the reaction is primarily due to the album itself not going over all that well. Not necessarily because it's bad, but because, for fuck's sake, Sufjan uses autotune on this one. Got to get people used to the new stuff, and you don't do that by throwing all of it at them at the expense of songs they already love.

I guess it just came out as well, and most probably never even heard of the EP.

The new album is fantastic and I'm glad I got to hear it instead of Illinois stuff.

cookiemonster.gif

Apparently I bought a ticket to the sold out Denver show this morning during a ticket drop. I happened to email the theater asking if they expected any more tickets to go on sale. I expected a snotty response figuring they get dumb questions like that all day. But instead the manager emailed me back 2 seconds later and said CHECK NOW! I now love that woman. Orchestra center, 11th row, happiness.

It's all Imperor's fault.

Back
Top Bottom