New Sufjan Stevens EP available now - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #46
The Male

Local Time: 11:43 PM
7.485476847684674867486748746957965795769567598 x 10^11

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Also, Impossible Soul is hands down the best song on the album. And since it takes up 1/3 of the record, that undoubtedly improves my overall rating, although I still find the autotunage pretty egregious.
I absolutely love Impossible Soul until about 5 minutes in. 'Dont be distracted' is such an awkward and unpoetic line. I find it very distracting, ironically enough (I started writing that sentence before I realized). Then it just goes into some unfocused tangent that I just cant get behind. I appreciate what he's trying to do by completely breaking down the conventions of pop music structure, I just dont think it works.
I'll have to listen to the rest of the album more to see if it grows on me

Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That P4K review surprised the hell out of me. Not because it got an expected Best New Music, but because I finally learned Sufjeezy is 35. What the what?

In other news, the presale fiasco that led me to not getting tickets may soon be forgotten. I'm in the process of scouring Craigslist for tickets to next week's show.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
That P4K review surprised the hell out of me. Not because it got an expected Best New Music, but because I finally learned Sufjeezy is 35. What the what?

In other news, the presale fiasco that led me to not getting tickets may soon be forgotten. I'm in the process of scouring Craigslist for tickets to next week's show.
What I found surprising is that the text read like a 9+ review, but they then settled on an 8.4.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #50
Blue Meth Addict

My $7.99 Amazon preorder (suck my ballz, breathing impaired felines!) is presently sitting on my porch awaiting me to return from work. Look forward to hearing it.

Good luck on ticket purchasin', Imps.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

I still haven't heard it but am still looking forward to buying it.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Good luck on ticket purchasin', Imps.
Appreciate it, and I might need all the luck I can get. Hopefully I can find someone on there with decent tickets who isn't demanding three times face value. But we'll see how things shake out. A successful purchase would mean a healthy amount of points with the new lady pal.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #53
The Male

According to metacritic, the album comes out in 17 minutes. 1:23 PM.

The Age of Adz Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

This trickeration must be Asthmatic Kitty's doing.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

I havent bought it yet, but since I'm seeing the bastard tomorrow night, I'll probably just pick up the vinyl then
Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 AM
I'm seeing him thursday.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Second listen. Oh my God. I love it.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Sufjan concert review:

I hate to judge a concert on what it wasnt rather than what it was, but it would've been nice to hear something older than 3 months. The entire show was songs from Age of Adz and All Delighted People. He threw us a bone at the very end of the show by playing 3 old ones, but by then, he had sort of lost me. It's not that I dont like the new album, I do, but I really didn't expect the set to be the way it was. Before the show, I had a bad feeling that he might do that; the new songs are so different from the older ones that I wasn't sure how he'd mix the two. Easy: Dont. But there were a bunch of great songs. I Walked was fantastic and a few of the others that I cant remember the names of were also great, but there are a few songs on Age of Adz that meander into shapeless tunes and they did that in concert too (there was a point during Impossible Soul, somewhere between the Kanye sunglasses, autotune, and 'funky' dance moves, where I thought to myself "what the fuck am I watching?"). But the band was super tight, so the songs were still somewhat enjoyable, even if they're impossible to sing along to. And I must say Heirloom nearly brought a goddamn tear to my eye; what a gorgeous song. I love it on the EP, but they absolutely nail it live. The visuals on the screen in the background are really cool and had my attention through some of the wandering arrangements. The worst part of the show was the banjo. It was sitting right beside him. I kept trying to send him telepathic messages "pick up the banjo, Sufjan.....pick up the banjo", but the sunufabitch never did. It just sat there like so many fat little kids. The sound at Massey Hall was flawless as usual, so the non banjo music sounded amazing, as did Sufjan's voice. He's got such a pure, natural voice that I'm always taken aback when I see him live.
So, while I enjoyed the show for what it was, I wish I knew what it would be before going in. I couldn't help but leave feeling a little disappointed. There was even a touch of anger as I walked to my car. The whole thing just seemed a little self indulgent. When you thank the crowd for being 'patient' toward the end of the show, you know you're probably not giving them what you think they wanted. But anyway, I did like it, it's just not what I would have preferred to see. Heirloom almost made up for it all on it's own
Old 10-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
It just sat there like so many fat little kids.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Hey JT, how are his concert t-shirts? I'm seeing him tonight and want to know if I should bring more than beer money?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #60
Blue Meth Addict

That stinks, JT. But as you said, I guess it should be expected to some point. We can't expect him to perform the exact same shows he was doing for the last album. What older songs did he play, by the way?

Adding to Dalton's merchandise questions, were they selling physical copies of All Delighted People? I thought I remember reading they'd be selling them at the shows, but I may be mistaken.