New Sufjan Stevens EP available now - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Cor, did you listen to the stream?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Nope. I figured I'd end up buying this, but wasn't necessarily going to rush out and get it on the day it came out, but your enthusiasm made me nod decisively and think "Will get it on the day it comes out."

Old 09-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

I love Get Real Get Right.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

So, I was one of the stupid people who pre-ordered the thing in Asthmatic Kitty's website (rather than Amazon or what have you), attracted mainly by the promise that I would get the album a week earlier. So now the album is streaming online and I have yet to receive my download codes.

Thank you, Asthmatic Kitty.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:54 AM
hmmm, not sure just yet. I love when Sufjan plays the banjo, so I'm sorely missing that, but it was expected

Impossible Soul could be a great song.... if it wasnt 25 minutes long (It's still an amazing song, just shorten that shit down for me)
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

THE SOOF!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Listening now. I already really like the opening track. Lovely.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
The whole deal of asking fans to not buy from Amazon is absolutely idiotic. Asthmatic Kitty (not surprisingly) must have worked out a horrible deal with retailers, as the amount a retailer is charging shouldn't affect their own profits in the least. Complaining that only location is selling something for a price that will actually HELP get more physical copies out the door seems absolutely ridiculous in this day and age. The price there is presently $14, so I'm not entirely sure what they're complaining about at this point, I assume they are alluding that Amazon will be lowering the price to around $7.99.

Regardless, the ability to have the album 2 weeks earlier in digital form is tempting, but is it worth twice the price of buying it on Amazon ($12 + shipping and handling from the label for the CD)? Hell no.
The way I read it isn't so much they're upset about the price of the physical release, it's because the album is clearly going to be Amazon's deal of the day in the MP3 store, meaning it will cost $3.99 the day it comes out.

Honestly, I can not for the life of me understand why on earth they would criticize a practice that has brought many artists sales they never would have seen otherwise.

I have the hardest time buying MP3 albums for $10. What the hell am I paying for? At least with a CD I understand that I'm paying for the jewel casing, the actual disc, the liner notes and any other goodies that may come with it, and for that reason, I have no problem playing upwards of $12 for a physical release. To suggest that one should pay a minimum of $9 for a digital download is the reason why I rarely buy digital albums, and in the end, rarely buy new albums period.

The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth ever since I initially read the article days ago, and unfortunately at this point, it's making the idea of listening to the album a little unsavory.

Now, that being all vented out, I am not going to do that to Sufjan, because I know that he's not the PR department, and hopefully he had nothing to do with this stupid statement in the first place.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

I have the hardest time buying MP3 albums for $10. What the hell am I paying for? At least with a CD I understand that I'm paying for the jewel casing, the actual disc, the liner notes and any other goodies that may come with it, and for that reason, I have no problem playing upwards of $12 for a physical release. To suggest that one should pay a minimum of $9 for a digital download is the reason why I rarely buy digital albums, and in the end, rarely buy new albums period.
I remember arguing with some guy in Highschool about this (well, sort of. It was about 12 years ago). His complaint was that a CD only costs 8 cents to manufacture, why are they charging $16 for an album. But that doesnt really make sense to me. It's not the medium that you're paying for, it's the expense of making the album plus the profit the band/label makes. So in that case, whether it's a physical release or a digital one, I dont think $9 is all that unreasonable. It sucks that you dont get the liner notes with them, but CDs used to be $20 at one point, so that's sort of moot.
If you buy a textbook, the cost of the raw materials is surely under $10, but you can pay upwards of $150 for one (I'm sure some sell for much more). It's not the materials that dictate the cost, its the research and man hours to put the whole thing together.
So in that sense, I dont see a problem with paying $9 for a digital download. Of course, you're welcome to make that decision for yourself
Old 09-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
So, i was one of the stupid people who pre-ordered the thing in Asthmatic Kitty's website (rather than amazon or what have you), attracted mainly by the promise that i would get the album a week earlier. So now the album is streaming online and i have yet to receive my download codes.

Thank you, Asthmatic Kitty.
PATIENCE IS WORTH MORE THAN A LATTE, SON.

Hang in there!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #41
The Male

Age of Adz sounds like Sufjan tripping over the only existing copy of Enjoy Your Rabbit while walking through his basement and falling onto a stack of unplayed vinyls, including Kid A and Merriweather Post Pavillion (the incident was so traumatizing that he decided to repent of Illinois and change his musical course entirely).

Not bad, but I can't help but compare this to Pop; it's musically counterintuitive, but in this case, the lyrics take a significant step back. Sufjan is clearly out of his element here, but that really doesn't matter. Ultimately, I don't give a shit what musical path he takes, and if he would have released these songs in the rustic vein of Michigan/Seven Swans, it actually would have been worse, because they clearly aren't up to par with Chicago, Casimir Pulaski Day, Romulus, Detroit, etc. The failings in the songwriting would only be more conspicuous. This is an interesting record, and I certainly appreciate the effort put into creating the soundscapes here, but it has a long way to grow before I can reasonably refer to it as high quality.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #42
The Male

Also, Impossible Soul is hands down the best song on the album. And since it takes up 1/3 of the record, that undoubtedly improves my overall rating, although I still find the autotunage pretty egregious.

Now.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Age of Adz sounds like Sufjan tripping over the only existing copy of Enjoy Your Rabbit while walking through his basement and falling onto a stack of unplayed vinyls, including Kid A and Merriweather Post Pavillion (the incident was so traumatizing that he decided to repent of Illinois and change his musical course entirely).
Does this sound like the opening line of a Pitchfork review to anybody else?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #44
The Male

My bad.

Now.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #45
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Does this sound like the opening line of a Pitchfork review to anybody else?
Who knows, everyone just looks at the scores! Since LeMeL did not give a rating, I have no idea how he feels about it in decimal form.