New Sufjan Stevens EP available now - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #346
45:33

Local Time: 11:05 PM
Oh wow. Yeah, seeing it outdoors would have been amazing. Was it a festival...?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #347
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Yeah. The Eaux Claire one Justin Vernon put together.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #348
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Sounds like a great three-show run, Cobbler. You managed to get some rarities in there, which is cool.

I Want to Be Well this tour lacks some of the punch of the Age of Adz tour, but it's still an awesome song. Glad you got it. That Dress Looks Nice on You is a personal favorite too.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #349

You can read my full, actually-somewhat-well-written review of the three nights here, (which I get paid for!! woo!!) but my main point was the contrast between the main set and the encore, which blew me away upon reflection.

Quote:
Finally, the band comes to a halt, and walk smiling, sweaty to the front of the stage to a standing ovation. It is obviously a cathartic moment for Sufjan, who has not spoken a word to this point – indeed it’s not until the encore that we see the real Sufjan, all self-deprecating, goofy and, well, happy.

All these songs are inherently beautiful; moving in their simplicity, captivating in their studied, storied lyricism. But what is most striking about this acoustic encore is just how at peace Sufjan seems to be. He tells the audience how he has been writing the setlist each night to Stevie Wonder’s masterpiece Songs in the Key of Life, noting the irony with a wry laugh, “nearly all of my songs are about death. This is Songs in the Key of Death.”

It is quite remarkable, watching a man with so many depressing songs bring a genuine sense of gravitas to a room that has spent the past two hours crying, but as Sufjan tells us, “this isn’t meant to be a funeral”. His mother’s death, and all the death and misery he had seen before it, he says, has led to a period of healing and allowed him to live a fuller, happier life.

Late last year, Sufjan was closing his shows, ridiculously, with a cover of Drake’s ‘Hotline Bling’. He’s moved on from that now, favouring the upbeat crowd favourite ‘Chicago’, his best-known song. But as Shawn Cooke wrote for Pitchfork, ‘Hotline Bling’ was a “well-earned triumph”, a moment of celebration after a string of intensely personal songs that clearly still move Sufjan deeply.

On the final night of his Melbourne stay Sufjan takes a breath, smiles, and introduces ‘Chicago’ as a song about travel, moving forward with your life. It, too, is a well-earned triumph and ensures everyone in the building leaves with a smile on their face knowing that they, too, can overcome their darkest moments. All things go, all things go.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Kanye just tweeted Death with Dignity.

In the same photo, you can see that Kanye has Piratebay opened in another tab.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:17 AM   #351
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Sounds like an awesome experience cobl. The footage I've seen from his live shows are really great. It looks like a very different and unique concert going experience. More of a show that you sit back, let the music engulf you and enjoy the art instead of going crazy. Plus, the fact you got to see him three shows in a row is pretty cool.
Just curious, are his shows pretty pricey?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 03-02-2016, 01:39 AM   #352

Yeah, much more of a sit down show. Vesuvius was the only song I wanted to really get up and about.

Not sure about the States but tickets were $85 Australian dollars.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #353

I'm really falling for the All Delighted People "EP", gang. It started with Heirloom, which is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, I love it so much. For someone who trades so much in depressing, harrowing work, it's really lovely and uplifting. The title track is terrific, goes without saying, that's the one most people are probably drawn to. Then I really dig Djohariah. Then, slowly but surely, the album's other songs begin to worm their way into your heart - Enchanting Ghost, From the Mouth of Gabriel, Arnika. God, he's brilliant.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:58 AM   #354
Rock n' Roll Doggie

New Sufjan Stevens EP available now

I was just listening to this EP yesterday for the first time in a while.
It's really great, it's basically an album. "Heirloom" is definitely my favorite. One of the best Sufjan songs out there IMO.
And I'm in agreement with you on the rest.
I swear to God, "A Sun Came" is a new addition to Spotify. Maybe I'm crazy and I've never seen it on there, but I think they just added it. Don't know much about it, but I'm gonna try to give a listen either tonight or tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 01:43 AM   #355
A childless dog

Local Time: 04:05 AM
I still need to hear Enjoy Your Rabbit and The Avalanche.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #356
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The Avalanche is really good. A lot of quality songs on there.
"Dear Mr. Computer", "No Man's Land", and "Pittsfield" are probably my favorites. I also prefer the acoustic version of "Chicago" over the album version.

Still need to hear Enjoy Your Rabbit.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:03 AM   #357
Rock n' Roll Doggie

So I've been listening to The Avalanche a few times lately.
"Pittsfield" is such a beautiful song, one of his best IMO.
Hey Cobbler. Do you have any thoughts about "Pittsfield"? I always really enjoy reading your thoughts about Sufjan. You're in-depth analysis is a lot better than I can articulate. I'm not much of a music expert, but I know when I like something.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:55 AM   #358

Cheers! I haven't heard The Avalanche... listening to Pittsfield now, and it is real nice. I will buy the album.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #359
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Blue Bucket of Gold is a true work of art. I don't think I have ever come across something so devastating and so beautiful at the same time. It's brought into sharper focus for me in that I have a friend who has been drifting away lately for a variety of legitimate reasons - the atmosphere of the song captures the desperation to keep a relationship alive so poignantly.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #360

Yes, it is wonderful. I saw him live in Sydney last year, flew there from Melbourne with a girl I really liked who did not reciprocate feelings, and when he played that song it absolutely crushed me, in the best ways.