New Sufjan Stevens EP available now - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #211
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Seven Swans is comparable to Carrie & Lowell in that it is consistently excellent throughout (whereas I think Michigan and Illinois have more ups and downs). There are so many great songs there... The Dress Looks Nice on You is my favorite, but Size Too Small, Seven Swans, Sister, In the Devil's Territory, All the Trees..., and the Transfiguration are all fantastic.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #212
45:33

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Well I've heard three albums now, Illinoise, Seven Swans and Carrie & Lowell and they're all extremely good. Illinoise has so many great songs but as you saw Seven Swans and Carrie & Lowell are much more consistent and easier to digest (that's not a knock though). I'll hit up Michigan before the gig too.

I'm not ready to do a Rushmore but these are the songs in contention:

John Wayne Gacy Jr, Chicago, Casimir Pulaski Day, The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts, The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out To Get Us!, Death With Dignity, Should Have Known Better, Fourth of July (), In the Devil's Territory, Sister.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Age of Adz and the All Delighted People EP are also great, cobbler. Make sure to check them out.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #214
The Male

Local Time: 05:53 AM
I really don't care for Age of Adz, but All Delighted People is one of my favorite "EPs."

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #215
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think Age of Adz goes a bit overboard at times, but I love the indulgence of Impossible Soul. That and I Want To Be Well are my favorite songs there.

Futile Devices works very well with the Carrie & Lowell songs in his new tour.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:53 PM
I prefer Age of Adz to Illinoise but I know I'm in the minority there.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #217
The Male

Yeah, I just don't like his beats very much. We all have our gifts and I don't think electronic music is one of his; its inclusion is more distracting for me than anything else. I don't hear much of a lyrical center either, the way his earlier records did.

But I agree that Impossible Soul is awesome in its ambition.

Now.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #218
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:53 PM
I listened to Age Of Adz for the first time in a long while just now.

Futile Devices, Age of Adz, I Walked, Vesuvius, I Want To Be Well and Impossible Soul are all fantastic. Vesuvius is probably my absolute favorite. Lyrics aren't that important to me, except if I know they're very good so what draws me most to Sufjan's music are his melodies. And there are just as many great melodies on Age of Adz as there are on his other albums. They're buried beneath some weird electronics sometimes but that only makes it more rewarding after a few listens.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:53 AM
I love Carrie & Lowell so much that when I went back and listened to Illinoise it almost sounded silly by comparison (except for John Wayne Gacy). For me Carrie & Lowell is his masterpiece. The emotional complexity and lyrical maturity, blended with the simple but beautiful and catchy melodies makes it his most accomplished record in my opinion.

I also like Age of Adz more than most people and agree with niels on all the above songs.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #220
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 07:53 AM
The Age of Adz tour was pretty awesome, how is he performing those songs on this tour?

Joyful, i still probably prefer Illinoise, but I like Carrie & Lowell more than anything else he's done.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #221
New Yorker

Sufjan has to be at the top of my list to see live, especially this tour....wish he was coming near here.

Carrie and Lowell is easily my most listened to album of 2015

Come to Utah Soof!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #222
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
The Age of Adz tour was pretty awesome, how is he performing those songs on this tour?

Joyful, i still probably prefer Illinoise, but I like Carrie & Lowell more than anything else he's done.
I haven't checked all the setlist, but I think he's only playing Futile Devices and The Owl and the Tanager from the Age of Adz/All Delighted People Era. He's played them pretty bare bones, the later on solo piano.

Interestingly, though, he added some Age of Adz-style beats in some Carrie & Lowell songs, and it worked great (All of Me Wants All of You is a good example).
Old 05-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #223
45:33

Local Time: 10:53 PM
I'm quite amazed by how many people consider Carrie & Lowell to be his best album. It's pretty rare, I feel, for a well-established artist with a number of well-loved albums to release a new one after a five-year break and for it to be considered a new high watermark.

I quite like it but I don't feel as strongly about it as everyone else seems to. It's very consistent and coherent (and really good) but Death With Dignity, Should Have Known Better and Fourth of July are well ahead of all the other tracks imo. Might listen to Michigan this arvo.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #224
The Male

Drawn to the Blood and No Shade aren't even on that list.

Now.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #225
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'm quite amazed by how many people consider Carrie & Lowell to be his best album. It's pretty rare, I feel, for a well-established artist with a number of well-loved albums to release a new one after a five-year break and for it to be considered a new high watermark.

I quite like it but I don't feel as strongly about it as everyone else seems to. It's very consistent and coherent (and really good) but Death With Dignity, Should Have Known Better and Fourth of July are well ahead of all the other tracks imo. Might listen to Michigan this arvo.
Well, my mom died a few years ago, and we had a difficult relationship, so it was a given that this record would totally wreck me.

I think every song on it has something special going on - a lyric, a vocal, a chord change, an instrument, something, that just gets me.