New SFA Record in March/April!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's that album cover, this time in-thread:

Lightyears.jpg

The colors seem a bit muddy and indistinct to me in that pic. Other than that, pretty cool. I hope the music matches.

That's actually yesterday's "White Socks/Flip Flops" dry run, but there is a countdown clock on Super Furry Animals which'll help you figure out your shit. It should be 3:00 PM CST and 4:00 PM EST.

Again, make use of the countdown clock. 2 hours to go, right now.

Man, I think this is good. For a band that so casually gets referred to as being psychedelic, this is the first record of theirs which actually sounds psychedelic, in a vintage sense--that is, it rocks really hard, trips really hard, and demands acid. Utterly brilliant.

Also, this record is seriously 60 minutes long. If they really are planning on dropping three LPs, this year, that would be quite a feat. Having already released nine records (in addition to several solo and side-project records), these cats'd stun me real good, were they somehow able to remain that creative, this far into things. I sure hope it all comes together, though. I have always been particularly curious about that symphonic record they've again been talking up...

In other news, album highlights include tracks 1-12.

Man, I think this is good. For a band that so casually gets referred to as being psychedelic, this is the first record of theirs which actually sounds psychedelic, in a vintage sense--that is, it rocks really hard, trips really hard, and demands acid. Utterly brilliant.
I will listen tonight. Very excited after reading your reviews. Love when they get psychedelic and trippy. It's been awhile. And 60 minutes long?
Damn. Longer songs. Very cool!
I know it's early but how do those who've listened rate this with Hey Venus, Love Kraft and Phantom Power?

The dearth of discussion in this thread deeply upsets and unnerves me. I'll try out some Welsh, in hopes of jump-starting everybody's opinions! TRAMS, MOTHERUFKCKAKEERSZZ!!!!!!!

Glywaist hon eto? Gwisga t ddeall. Paham mo siarad am 'ch argoeliadau? Beth ydy 'ch anwylyn canau? Beth ydy 'ch 'n lleiaf anwylyn canau? Fi m yn edrych ar 'ch Laz...ad s cer!

Dybi a dyma 'r albwm chan 'r blwyddyn? Gwna.

SFA O'R GORAU!

I've listened to the album a couple times today now, and I'm digging it so far. A lot. I love SFA when they get weird and trippy, so this record is right up my alley. :up:

Highlights for me: Mt., Cardiff in the Sun, White Socks/Flip Flops, Where Do You Wanna Go?, and Pric.

I don't have anything much more constructive to say at the moment, but I'll come back after I've given it a few more spins.

I've listened to the album a couple times today now, and I'm digging it so far. A lot. I love SFA when they get weird and trippy, so this record is right up my alley. :up:

Highlights for me: Mt., Cardiff in the Sun, White Socks/Flip Flops, Where Do You Wanna Go?, and Pric.

I don't have anything much more constructive to say at the moment, but I'll come back after I've given it a few more spins.

agreed. i think the 2nd half of this album is stronger than the first half.

After one listen...mind = fucked. I have no idea what just happened, but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

After one listen...mind = fucked. I have no idea what just happened, but I'm pretty sure it ruled.
Nice.
That's the kinda thing I want to hear.
Not putting down Hey Venus! (love it) but I don't get that feeling after listening to it.
I like weird and trippy.

Laz, I think it's time to call you out in English, rather than Welsh. What the hell do you think of this? You're the biggest Chupacabra I know, around these parts! WTF? Offer up some thoughts, B!

You can order it, though! CD/MP3 combo-pack! Or, if you promise that nobody else gets it, I can shoot you a link.

What you said.
Man I hear glam, funk, 80's synth pop, Prince, prog and whatever else.
I gotta hear it again. A lot to take in for sure.
Will there be a release with any bonus tracks like they usual do?
They need some kind of new DVD. That would be cool. Or 5.1 surround sound version of new album.

After they parted ways with Sony, I think that all the DVDs kind of bit the dust. I read in a new-ish interview that the band is ostensibly bankrupt, after having to self-fund most of their recent touring. I hope I've got the details right, because I don't want to spread bad information. Either way, I think that this has something to do with all of the "festivals only, this time" talk which has been coming from the band.

Rough Trade doesn't have even a fraction of the kind of money that Sony did, and while Rings and Phantom Power were both big records in the UK (#3 and #4 on the charts, respectively) with equally big singles (something like five Top 30s between them, I think...?), they barely even managed to tank, in the States. They just imploded, and nobody even bothered to notice. Love Kraft didn't do well anywhere.

So, regarding "special" releases, all I know is that I got an e-mail from the SFA mailing list saying that the LP will also come with a CD copy. I am very pleased by this news...assuming that it's not just a typo! As multilingual as these cats are, their written English has always left more than a bit to be desired. An Amazon pre-order page for said vinyl release promises "more surprises to be announced, closer to the release date," or something. Interestingly, I think that Amazon remains the only seller so far offering these LP/CD pre-orders. On the SFA site, you can only order the CDs and mp3s.

Oh, and the CD cover is different from the vinyl abortion, upthread. A bit more Fowlerish, this one.

Cover.gif

Thanks for all the info.
It sickens me that bands that deserve funding, promotion etc like SFA have to struggle in relative obscurity while crap like Nickleback and all the American Idol derived acts get way too much publicity.:angry:
Well you'll have to keep us up to date on any "surprises" from your pre-order.
I'm hoping for some kinda B-sides in some format. SFA are notorious for b-sides/rarities/bonus tracks. Well they were.
In the meantime I'll enjoy the incredible new album. I think I like the other cover better though. I dunno.

Whoa, I had no idea that the band's self-financing their touring lately. That makes me incredibly glad that I went and saw them when they swung through town last February, which was a packed show, as I recall. :up:

I feel like sharing. Nothing you can't get for free, though, so don't think you gots to thank me.

YouTube - SUPER FURRY ANIMALS - Fire In My Heart

I've got a fire in my heart for you.
I've got a fire in my heart for you.
I've got a fire in my heart,
though I'm falling apart.
Still, I've got a fire in my heart for you.

I've got pins and needles for you.
I've got pins and needles for you.
You've got needles and pins
and the seven deadly sins.
Still, I've got a fire in my heart for you

I've a butterfly stomach for you.
I've a butterfly stomach for you.
And as the cars fly by,
I just break down and cry.
Still, I've got a fire in my heart for you.

Well, the monkey puzzle tree
has some questions
for the watchdogs of the profane.
And I ask, "Is it sad
that I'm driving myself mad,
as this fire in my heart turns blue?"

I've got a fire in my heart for you!

Finished listen #2 of DD/LY. :drool: I definitely am beginning to love this record. SFA is back to doing what they do best; confounding the casual passers-by and the charming the hell out of everyone else. :up: The only thing I would have changed about the album is that I would have given Gruff more to do vocally. SFA has gone through so many changes musically, and the one constant has always been Gruff's mellifluous whine. Bring it to the forefront.

I bought Songbook today, mostly because a lot of you guys seem to really like this band. And Rory likes them, too. She's a fictional character, so I will be holding you real people accountable if I don't enjoy it or if something horrible befalls me while I'm listening.

But seriously, I will return with my thoughts at some point in the not too distant future.

Back
Top Bottom