New SFA Record in March/April!!!!! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Hey, sorry about what I think was kind of a needlessly brusque reply, up there, Dalton. Something with Interference was and is screwy, and my post went up before I read it...and now I'm not being allowed to edit it. I'm just sorry if I sounded like a douchebag. Whether or not you agree with me, I still think that I did.

Ironically, though (and this is what I mean by muddled politics, which didn't just suddenly crop up in Phantom Power, but rather got harder to overlook), there is a soundbite and a bit of scrolling text which always plays during "The Man Don't Give a Fuck." It says...

All Governments Are Liars and Murderers

So, it seems that they agree with you!

I thought your reply was perfect, IYS. I didn't take any offense. This isn't FYM. This is just one of those subjects that tweaks my nipples. I blame John Lennon.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
If this is our standard by which we judge community institutions than both government, family, and community living in general would all be thrown to the wayside.
Hey, sorry about what I think was kind of a needlessly brusque reply, up there, Dalton. Something with Interference was and is screwy, and my post went up before I read it...and now I'm not being allowed to edit it. I'm just sorry if I sounded like a douchebag. Whether or not you agree with me, I still think that I did.

Ironically, though (and this is what I mean by muddled politics, which didn't just suddenly crop up in Phantom Power, but rather got harder to overlook), there is a soundbite and a bit of scrolling text which always plays during "The Man Don't Give a Fuck." It says...

All Governments Are Liars and Murderers

So, it seems that they agree with you!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:38 AM
That scrolling quote is from the late comedian Bill Hicks, who also had The Bends dedicated to him by Radiohead.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Um. WTF? How is it possible that I never listened to these guys before? Been listening to Rings Around the World (An expended edition of the album bought from itunes) and it's fantastic. Fuck.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

'Tis but the tip of the iceberg. You have no idea what you've started, by getting into that record. I'm considering getting "SFAOK" tattooed on my knuckles.

Or at least paying for a license plate which reads "SFA OK." Whatever, really.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Oh, and the Tradewinds EP is stellar, yeah. There are some ballin'-ass songs on that mo'fucker, for sure. "Happiness is a Worn Pun" (the Sasquatch's vocals are beyond priceless), "Edam Anchorman," "Gypsy Space Muffin"...all them shits is fucking brilliant, and so're the other tracks. I adore "All The Shit U Do."
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm just sort of stunned that I'd never even heard of them as of a few months ago.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There was a time when they held great sway over the UK charts, but those times're sadly long-gone. In the States, it was a lot easier to miss them.

Here's a sobering, perspective-granting fact: Since the Furries moved to Rough Trade, you can no longer buy any of their music in, say, Best Buy (unless the store has old records lying about which haven't yet been sold; I see Songbook, Vol. I, from time to time, but that's all). You can, however, stroll into nine of out ten Best Buys and buy the new album from...Japanese home-recorded, toy piano-playing artist Shugo Tokumaru. And in the Rock/Pop section, no less! It's insanity. Props to Tokumaru, too. Dude knows what's going on.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

It is ridiculous that they haven't broken here, right? They write a pop song as brilliantly as Blur or Oasis ever did, and can experiment as much as Radiohead without losing the plot.

Also, I always listen to the Rings EP because in my opinion Edam Anchorman segueing into All The Shit U Do is just like the best ending, ever.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #40
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Um. WTF? How is it possible that I never listened to these guys before? Been listening to Rings Around the World (An expended edition of the album bought from itunes) and it's fantastic. Fuck.
Next: Radiator, with my blessing.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

I think he should work his way forward now all the way to Hey Venus, then go back.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #42
The Male

Hey Venus deserves a shot, but why listen to Phantom Power and Love Kraft without hearing Radiator, Guerrilla, and Mwng first?

Now.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

If I hear something I really like from a band, I try to get something right before or after, for context.

If you think he should try Guerilla, that makes sense, but it's a lot weirder. I say finish out the more accessible, pop stuff before diving into the more challenging material.

For the record, I like Phantom Power and Love Kraft a lot better than Radiator.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #44
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I say finish out the more accessible, pop stuff before diving into the more challenging material.
OK, that's what I thought you were going for.

But it still feels a bit like telling someone to listen to ATYCLB and HTDAAB before The Unforgettable and Zooropa to me.

Now.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree with Laz, regarding context, but I think that Love Kraft is, by far, their most challenging album. It's all subjective, I guess, but I really believe that. Structure's a lot more fluid, things are very gauzy, and the record tries to cruise by on mood, I think, rather than melody. I'm not saying that there aren't melodies, of course, but rather than they take a backseat, relative to the typical SFA record. "Lazer Beam" and "The Horn" are pretty immediate, though...

Tags
super furry animals