New Secret Machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
is pretty good. they actually have a new guitarist, which makes me a little curious, didn't The Edge use an effect on the new album inspired by The Secret Machines' guitar player? i wonder if it was the old one or the new one....

anyway, it's good. check it out.

Since it hasn't legally been released yet, I haven't heard anything from it, but to say that I'm worried about this album is an understatement. When your group consists of 3 band members, 2 of which are brothers, and one of the band members that is 1 of the 2 brothers leaves the band, it's really doesn't look good for the group. When a band decides they're not going to actually replace the third band member and just rotate guitar players, keyboard players, etc., it doesn't look good for the group. When a band decides to do soundtrack tunes for a musical about The Beatles (hello BeeGees), it doesn't look good for the group.

They played with Bono on that soundtrack.

Wait....:huh:

And immediately after, one of the 3 band members left the group. Coincidence?

:wink:

Maybe I shouldn't be winking, there's a likelihood that is in fact one of the reasons he's gone.

I've liked these guys for a long time. Hopefully this album's as good as the first two.

The record, Secret Machines, comes out on October 14, 2008, in North America. Not sure about "overseas" releases.

It's far better than the 2/3 cringe-inducing Ten Leaden Drops and sounds more like the first record, Now Here Is Nowhere, which makes a person like me, who's been a fan since long before that first LP even came out, quite happy.

Still, the record is not great; it's instead pretty good. The opening track, "Atomic Heels," overcomes a stupidly bad, vintage Secret Machines title to be probably the strongest track on the record, and "The Walls Are Starting To Crack," I think, even features a sound collage of sorts. It is a slight progression for a band which clearly doesn't want to go anywhere, and for whom that's clearly not the worst thing in the world.

I am stunned, after several listens, at how Ben Curtis's departure had absolutely no audible impact on the band. Fucking weird. Like, this sounds like the exact same band...quite a shock for me, as I'd expected a wordless record of 15-minute, going-nowhere, psych-prog wank-a-thons to put "Daddy's In The Doldrums" to shame. A pleasant surprise, for sure; there are some vaguely jammy spots on the record, but they're rarely directionless. Some trimming could be done, sure (just like on nearly any record), but I'm not hearing anything at all crippling. The band is showing restraint and a firm grasp of how to build and release tension. Solid.

Oh, but I still really miss that old, soul-crushing drum sound. Nowhere to be found at the same levels as on the first record. Jesus, do I ever miss that throb...

The record, Secret Machines, comes out on October 14, 2008, in North America. Not sure about "overseas" releases.

It's far better than the 2/3 cringe-inducing Ten Leaden Drops and sounds more like the first record, Now Here Is Nowhere, which makes a person like me, who's been a fan since long before that first LP even came out, quite happy.

Still, the record is not great; it's instead pretty good. The opening track, "Atomic Heels," overcomes a stupidly bad, vintage Secret Machines title to be probably the strongest track on the record, and "The Walls Are Starting To Crack," I think, even features a sound collage of sorts. It is a slight progression for a band which clearly doesn't want to go anywhere, and for whom that's clearly not the worst thing in the world.

I am stunned, after several listens, at how Ben Curtis's departure had absolutely no audible impact on the band. Fucking weird. Like, this sounds like the exact same band...quite a shock for me, as I'd expected a wordless record of 15-minute, going-nowhere, psych-prog wank-a-thons to put "Daddy's In The Doldrums" to shame. A pleasant surprise, for sure; there are some vaguely jammy spots on the record, but they're rarely directionless. Some trimming could be done, sure (just like on nearly any record), but I'm not hearing anything at all crippling. The band is showing restraint and a firm grasp of how to build and release tension. Solid.

Oh, but I still really miss that old, soul-crushing drum sound. Nowhere to be found at the same levels as on the first record. Jesus, do I ever miss that throb...

Thank you for the extremely useful information. :)

I've downloaded the leak, and the new album is really good. It may even (gasp!) replace "Now Here Is Nowhere" as my favorite TSM album, I can't find a weak track on this one. It's certainly much better than TSD, although I really like that one, too.

I hope Phil Karnats permanently replaces Ben if he doesn't decide to come back. His guitar playing on this album is amazing.

I only downloaded the single Atomic Heels and thought it was good not great; that's how I felt about their debut album too and i only ever heard a couple of songs off their second album (which I really liked). Not sure yet if I'll download the leak..

I just realized this came out today. Here I was thinking I'd be good this week and not even go to a cd store.....

Glad to see the positive words in this thread. I've long liked Secret Machines, but was a little skeptical after hearing about one of the brothers leaving.

I've got this album on my wishlist...I just forgot to look for it when I last went CD shopping. :doh:

It's ok. There are some good songs and some where you want them to be over.

I went and saw them last night down near San Diego. I was really looking forward to it, but the new album isn't all I wanted it to be, so I was a little wary. It was a very good show. They played one long song, though, I think the last song on the new album, and really, that 20 minutes could have been used better. But First Wave Intact was a great final song, and Alone, Jealous,and Stoned was great as well. The new guitar player is very good and kinda sexy, so it's a win-win. :)

The new guitar player is very good and kinda sexy, so it's a win-win. :)

:up:

So would you say this album is worth buying (on my teacher's salary)? With their other albums, I've been willing to put up with a couple of weaker tracks because the good songs are so good.

Back
Top Bottom