New Portishead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
their debut was trilling
don't own anything they did after that

but I will be checking out this one also again

Salome said:
their debut was trilling
don't own anything they did after that

but I will be checking out this one also again

I actually liked their second album better. I can't wait to hear something new. Hopefully, they'll keep progressing.

I'm going to get it tomorrow, hopefully.

"Machine Gun" keeps getting better as I listen more. I've heard other tracks on the Web and they're both more stripped down tunes. Interesting.

For those of you in the US, it's $9.99 at Best Buy this week.

Very cool album, what are your favorite tracks? For now, I'd say that mine are:

Machine Gun
We Carry On
Threads
Silence

I love that they managed to do something quite different with this album, while still sounding like themselves. The album really has a unique sound to it.

I like this album more than I was expecting. I have their debut but never really got into it, so I remain a little baffled by all those who proclaimed it genius.

And I liked that whole dark trip-hop sound!

it's all still very fresh
but, to be honest, I think this album is completely brilliant

Anybody: how does this stand up to something like Tricky's Maxinquaye? I never really enjoyed much trip-hop, but that was my favorite record from the movement. Might I enjoy this more than the first two Portishead records, if I dug that record? Holler at your boy.

:hmm:

I think giving the rougher sound of Third compared to their first 2 album that loving Maxinquaye might be a definite positive

don't hold it against me should you end up not agreeing though :D

It's probably more abrasive than Maxinquaye. Not as much as Pre-Millenium Tension, but somewhere in between. And BTW, I think that Tricky album is hugely underrated. Guy created like a whole new genre there. Electro-blues or something.

If you shout... said:
Anybody: how does this stand up to something like Tricky's Maxinquaye? I never really enjoyed much trip-hop, but that was my favorite record from the movement. Might I enjoy this more than the first two Portishead records, if I dug that record? Holler at your boy.

To be honest, this album isn't really even "trip hop", so it's hard to judge if you'll like it in comparison to the rest of the genre. You should have given it a listen when it was free to stream on Last FM!

A good point. And I imagine it would have been kind of sad seeing them try to resurrect a 10 year-old trend, even if they were one of its originators.

If you shout... said:

It cant be compared with Maxinquaye.

It´s Portishead sound, with muddled strings and Beth´s vocals, the sounds are rather acoustic and Tricky´s sounds are very different.

I like the third. It is experimental and I will not listen to it at the poolbar, but fits a dim lighted room at night.

For the Tricky lovers amongst us, his next album will be out in July, check out the single on knowlewestboy.com

and there are some fine releases i.e. Laid Blak on Brown Punk, the label he founded with Chris Blackwell.

it is a "difficult" album for me but i have to listen at it again and again!!!

The rip is my fav till now

the rip is beautiful. very, very beautiful.

great album... though machine gun is still probably my favourite track.

I just listened to the album. Sheesh, this is one dark, claustrophobic puppy; the kind of album that makes me wonder about the mental/emotional state of its makers. It's brilliant though, definitely one of the year's highlights, :up:

I didn't expect much, but it is actually goog, "The Rib" is beautiful, but "Silence" is my favorite track

interesting comeback

I just listened to the album. Sheesh, this is one dark, claustrophobic puppy; the kind of album that makes me wonder about the mental/emotional state of its makers. It's brilliant though, definitely one of the year's highlights, :up:

That's such an accurate description of this. It took me a few listens to really get into it, but now I can really appreciate it's darkness. Way better than I'd expected, I hope they're announced for V festival now :up:

Back
Top Bottom