New Mute Math album in the works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
afa36f52e2374cc7b724ffbaa87caa6d_7.jpg

They said that they've found their official replacement, and the new guitarist will be on tour with them from here on out, but that the album was written as a trio.

The album leaked yesterday. It's very good. I thought without Greg there wouldn't be as much guitar- maybe more keys, but there's a lot of guitar, jammy parts, lots of everything I like about Mutemath

I really, really like this album. The guitar stuff is definitely different, though. The guitar tones are a bit more rough around the edges and gritty and at times they invoke Flaming Lips-esque Embryonic-lite guitar tones. On the title track, Paul invokes Dan Auerbach. I think I like it as a whole better than I liked Armistice, but that debut album is so good that it's tough to top.

Yeah, I love this album. Armistice has some excellent tracks, but it was trying to hard to find an audience and doesn't work as a whole the way the debut did, but this is a front-to-back album that progresses through out. It starts off with the blues influence (surprising it took this long given their hometown) mixed w/ their traditional electronic textures and those become more prominent throughout the second half. I had high expectations, and this certainly surpassed them.

This is my favorite track so far:

MuteMath - Prytania - YouTube

I saw them on their current small venue 'Odd Soul Introduction Tour' last month and they opened with that by appearing from the back of the venue (right where I was standing) and all the members danced up to the stage with percussion instruments in an extended opening for the song. Even early on, just figuring out the new tracks they sounded great, and the ones we had already heard studio recordings for were far better in person.

blues influence

I saw them this past Wed. night. Sounds like we had a near identical experience with the opening of the show, etc.

I haven't heard the new album, but the guitar sound stood out to me quickly. Lots of blues in the new stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't find the new guitar work incredibly inspiring. I'm looking forward to getting the new album at some point, but I'm afraid I'm gonna miss Greg.

BTW, what band touring behind a new album shows up in a town with no physical copies of the new album and refers people to itunes? Someone needs a new manager... :angry:

Yeah they do, especially since the live audiences love buying vinyl and the vinyl version wasn't available on the release date, and still isn't yet.

As for the guitar work, that's never been what draws me to their music, and again I really love the new album so it works well in context. As for their new guitarist, he fits in very well with their stage show and seems game for anything. They wrote Odd Soul as a trio with each of them contributing to the guitar lines, so we won't see any compositional contributions from him until LP4. But even on the first two, Paul and Darren are the overarching creative force in the band, the Bono and Edge of Mutemath.

To me, the guitars were pretty bad on Armistice. They've never been as good as they were on the first album.

Armistice gets a pass from me as a whole by virtue of my undying love of the title track.

I saw them a couple nights ago. It was probably the best show of theirs yet that I've seen (I've gone to one show per album). So much rad stuff going on with lights, and drum samples being activated by gloves Darren King put onto the hands of 4 audience members being high-fived. Never seen anything like that before.

I didn't keep track of the order, but they played the new album in its entirety (which is fine with me because it's my second favorite of theirs). They only played Prytania and Blood Pressure off of Odd Soul; Clipping, Spotlight, and Armistice off Armistice; Typical, Chaos, Noticed, Control, You Are Mine, and Reset off of the debut.

The only song I wish they'd done was Break The Same. I'm surprised they didn't play Odd Soul's title track. Still, they played 22 songs and went for a little over 2 hours and it was incredible. Not sure why they aren't way more popular than they are. Light Up seems like it should be a huge hit.

Awesome! I just saw them in Tulsa. They still push the boundaries of the small venue show. Incredible. And VITALS is an amazing album. I don't know why they're not huge either. Baffling. Look for a video for "Used To" soon...

Back
Top Bottom