New Modern English album - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:36 AM
New Modern English album

Yeah, I know it's not the same band, but it's pretty much the same band that released 'Everything's Mad', which I liked.

Modern English (or the current incarnation of the band) will be releasing their 7th studio album since 1981 on May 24th, 2010. The album is titled 'Soundtrack', and the lead single is called "It's OK." I've both preordered the album from Darla Records (the record company that is releasing it) and downloaded the single in mp3 format. IMO, it's just as good as the classic 80's Modern English stuff.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my obsessiveness over this band. I have and have loved all 6 previous albums, so I'm sure I'll love this one. Their last album was released in 1996, so that's a 14 year wait.

Here's the link to order the album - Darla Records / Modern English - Soundtrack (Darla)

Really cool artwork, too. I like it!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
War Child

No Modern English fans here, I take it?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:36 AM
I like Melt With You, but admittedly don't think I've ever heard another thing from them.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
War Child

You should check out these albums immediately:

Mesh & Lace
After The Snow
Ricochet Days

Those are their first three albums, and IMO, their 3 best. They released a 4th album with the classic lineup, called 'Stop Start', but it's never been released on cd. I have it in mp3 format, from a tape rip, though; if you'd like it, let me know.

A few members left after 'Stop Start', and in the early '90s, they tried to recapture their audience with a new album called 'Pillow Lips.' This is a great album, too, very poppy but very calming to listen to.

After that album, the band fell apart. After a few years, the lead singer formed a completely new lineup, with a new keyboardist, guitarist, bass player, and drummer. That lineup released the 6th studio album, "Everything's Mad" (another great one; it was just re-released on cd and Itunes, too), and that's the lineup that's going to be on the new 'Soundtrack' album, out in two months.

So, yeah, it's not the same band, but they've still retained the same sound. I can tell from listening to the new stuff that it's Modern English.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:36 AM
I stopped listening to them after those albums...
Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
War Child

I really would love to see this band become popular again. "Stop Start" was a great album, I'm not quite sure why it failed the way it did. And "Pillow Lips" and "Everything's Mad" are also great albums.

I hate how everyone jumps ship when a band changes it's sound. Just because ME decided to become more poppy, it doesn't make the music bad.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
War Child

So the new album is up on Itunes, and the cd version starts shipping on the 10th. And yes, I liked it so much that I bought it twice...

So what can I say about "Soundtrack"? This is honestly one of the greatest pop rock albums I've ever heard. The melodies are infectious, the songs rock, and there isn't a weak track on the album. This is a much stronger album than the two previous albums, "Pillow Lips" and "Everything's Mad", and I liked those albums.

Now that I've given this a full listen and had time to absorb it (I've had the album for 3 days), here is my rating of the studio albums thus far:

1. After The Snow
2. Mesh & Lace
3. Ricochet Days
4. Soundtrack
5. Stop Start
-------------------------
6. Pillow Lips
7. Everything's Mad

The break is where I consider the magic to weaken. I think PL and EM are good albums, but not great. Soundtrack is the first album since the 80's to capture that 'Modern English Genius sound' that they had back then.

In retrospect, I can't recommend this album enough. Even if you've hated the albums you've heard by Modern English before, BUY THIS ALBUM. YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

I Soundtrack.