New Manic Street Preachers Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um, I need this record to come out right now.

I think the lyrics are going to make it for me, which is what I love so much about Rewind the Film and Show Me the Wonder, both of which I love more and more with each listen. As my own hair turns gray, it sounds like this album's going to help me come to grips with something I think about every day--growing older.

ETA: And Nicky's gonna sing a track too? :drool:

I feel pretty good about Nicky singing more these days, I liked his vocals on The Future Has Been Here 4ever. Far and away from the days of Wattsville Blues (I like the song, but Nicky's vocals are hilarious on that).

From the lyric snippets (esp. 30 Year War oh boy) I can tell there's a good chance this will be one of Nicky's strongest lyrically.

I agree. The lyrics mentioned in the article certainly point in that direction.

I don't know what it is about Nicky's singing. I love Wattsville Blues! And I prefer his solo record far beyond James's. There's a certain "fuck it" and "fuck off" attitude added to the song when he sings, and that's something I can get behind. James has his own way of putting those feelings into songs, but Nicky's lack of ability just flies in the face of caring what other people think.

All the songs were played on BBC 6 Radio on Wednesday, really enjoyed what I heard, and the album proper is released in Australia tomorrow. Even despite the great albums released this year I reckon this will be right up there with them.

"As Holy as the Soil" may end up in my top five Manics songs. Nicky sounds so different, and those moments when James harmonizes or takes lead briefly are transcendent. Great mix of restraint and indulgence, and the melody kills.

I'm going to admit I'm a terrible fan by saying I never got the last album, because I was too lazy to try to find a good import price. Same applies to this one...

Favourites so far would have to be 3 Ways to See Despair, Tokyo Skyline, Anthem For a Lost Cause, This Sullen Welsh Heart and 30 Years War.

I've only listened to the album in its entirety once, I generally don't replay an album over and over as soon as it comes out.

"As Holy as the Soil" may end up in my top five Manics songs. Nicky sounds so different, and those moments when James harmonizes or takes lead briefly are transcendent. Great mix of restraint and indulgence, and the melody kills.

The lyrics are very to the point for what is a Nicky lyric, I wouldn't have the song in my top half from the album but I have a great deal of appreciation for it given who the song is about.

I'm going to admit I'm a terrible fan by saying I never got the last album, because I was too lazy to try to find a good import price. Same applies to this one...

Apart from a couple of tracks, you're not really missing out on Postcards. It's as close as they'd get to their own HTDAAB (listenable but not particularly memorable), but Rewind the Film is a substantial rejuvenation.

And another album early 2014, they've talked enough about it to the point that there's no way they're backing out now.

Thanks for mentioning WOW HD, DB. I picked up the deluxe edition for cheaper than the regular on amazon, so I decided to finally get Postcards from a Young Man too. I'd never heard of that website, but with free shipping on everything? And imports? Hell yes. :up:

That might have been the most depressing video they've made yet? Even in the periods of their darkest music their music videos didn't come across as hard hitting as this one.

They give you about a tenth of a second to be happy that the kids from Show Me the Wonder became an adorable couple before smashing that thought to pieces.

Still haven't heard the new record. I ordered it from WowHD nearly a month ago. The other CD I ordered arrived after about three weeks and shipped from Hong Kong. I'm guessing Rewind the Film is lost somewhere between here and there.

Time to report is missing and hope they'll send me a replacement, I suppose. :down:

The only time I ordered something from Wow HD, it took over a month to deliver.

That's good to know. Maybe I'll give it another week before reporting it. I really just want it to get here so I can hear it!

With the free shipping, you get what you pay for. All the way from Hong Kong. A month later.

Even the UK tour to support the album has finished weeks ago.

In regards to the album, I think it'd feature quite high in my best of 2013 list, but the sort of album that won't be mentioned in many others even despite consistently strong reviews.

Back
Top Bottom