New Manic Street Preachers Album - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
What's the best place to start if I wants to get into these Manic Street Preachers? It seems that the Holy Bible might be their most acclaimed album? Thanks!
I always go for a "best of" if there's one. You get some songs you know and some you don't. If you love some songs then chances are you'll like the album it's from.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 07:17 AM
Go for Gold Against the Soul, great album - perfect bridge between the glamour of Generation Terrorists and the nihilism of Holy Bible.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJB View Post
Go for Gold Against the Soul, great album - perfect bridge between the glamour of Generation Terrorists and the nihilism of Holy Bible.
Apparently that album is heartily disliked by hardcore Manic fans and the band itself, but I've always though it hugely underrated.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #19
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Roses in the Hospital has always been a favourite of mine.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 AM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Apparently that album is heartily disliked by hardcore Manic fans and the band itself, but I've always though it hugely underrated.
Really? I'd never heard that anywhere. Oh well, Holy Bible aside its probably my favourite Manics album - full of really strong track - Sleepflower is amazing, From Despair to Where, La Tristesse - classic tracks that they still play live. Plus the guitarwork on it is amazing; I remember playing along to this album loads when I was getting to grips with playing guitar.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:17 AM
The Holy Bible is their best album, but to me it's still a musical anomaly. The singles from Generation Terrorists and Gold Against the Soul, especially songs like "Little Baby Nothing" and "La Tristesse Durera" seem more like the band that went on to make Everything Must Go (Another GREAT starting point) than the band that made the Holy Bible before it.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #22
The Fly

i don't like this idea of using Richie's lyrics. it's not fair they are promoting themselves like that.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #23
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:17 AM
In regards to Gold Against the Soul, while it's not one of my favs of their by any means, it does have a number of great tracks. Aside from the great tracks that have already been mentioned, 'Yourself' is one of my favorites and sounds like it could have been on The Holy Bible. 'Life Becoming a Landslide' is probably one of my overall favorite MSP songs in general. Love that one.

The Holy Bible is far and away my favorite of their albums as well, but I agree with UL that it's not very representative of what the rest of the band's work is like.

I'm listening to Send Away The Tigers right now and it's 100x better than I remember it. Not sure what I was thinking last year.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #24
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Maybe you had different expectations of Send Away the Tigers? That or you channelled Pitchfork subconsciously
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:17 AM
I'm going to have to second the idea of starting with the greatest hits if you want to get into the Manics. Their greatest hits collection, Forever Delayed, is pretty middle of the road for them--not too punk, plenty of hits, several different styles. I started out by buying it, and now I own all their albums and then some.

And whatAday, you're not the first person to suggest the Manics are somehow exploiting Richey by using his lyrics, but I have to disagree. Considering that the band still maintains a bank account with all of Richey's royalties in it in the hopes that one day he will come back, I don't think there's anything shady going on here. My guess is that finally enough time has passed that they feel comfortable going back to some of those lyrics and seeing what kind of music they can make for them, maybe even as a way of honoring Richey.

I never would have guessed there were any more of Richey's lyrics left, figuring they must have used them all on Everything Must Go. I trust that the other band members love Richey enough not to use his lyrics if some kind of harm or exploitation will result.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #26
Refugee

At the end of the day Richey's image and lyrics are the band's heritage, it made them what they are, so I think there should be no problems using left-over lyrics. As long as the album rocks it should all be okay!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #27
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
I'm going to have to second the idea of starting with the greatest hits if you want to get into the Manics. Their greatest hits collection, Forever Delayed, is pretty middle of the road for them--not too punk, plenty of hits, several different styles. I started out by buying it, and now I own all their albums and then some.

And whatAday, you're not the first person to suggest the Manics are somehow exploiting Richey by using his lyrics, but I have to disagree. Considering that the band still maintains a bank account with all of Richey's royalties in it in the hopes that one day he will come back, I don't think there's anything shady going on here. My guess is that finally enough time has passed that they feel comfortable going back to some of those lyrics and seeing what kind of music they can make for them, maybe even as a way of honoring Richey.

I never would have guessed there were any more of Richey's lyrics left, figuring they must have used them all on Everything Must Go. I trust that the other band members love Richey enough not to use his lyrics if some kind of harm or exploitation will result.
perhaps you're right.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I just bought The Holy Bible a couple of days ago, really great album . I already had Everything Must Go which is good but Holy Bible slays it. The first two songs are brilliance
Old 11-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:17 AM
My plan of purchasing Forever Delayed has been... forever delayed. I only have Send Away The Tigers and really like that one!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #30
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:17 AM
By "have" do you mean "stole"?

Send away the liars.

Tags
manic street preachers