New M.I.A. album - June 29, 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Pitchfork: M.I.A. Announces LP Release Via Blimp

You know you're a baller when you get a motherfucking blimp to announce your album release date. According to Rap-Up (via TwentyFourBit), a blimp that flew over the crowd during Jay-Z's Coachella set this past weekend advertised M.I.A.'s forthcoming appearances at HARD Fest shows in New York and L.A. this summer. And it also broadcasted a crucial bit of information: "New Album 6.29.10".

And this wasn't some fake-out stunt thing. We've confirmed it. It's real. M.I.A.'s new album drops June 29 on N.E.E.T./Interscope.

Get ready.

:up:

I don't get what that sort of selling out has to do with being outspoken. Her marriage helped her career, okay, but why would that have to do with whether or not she should be outspoken about stuff?

She came out and talked shit about Gaga a couple weeks back, but that's probably a topic for another thread. Not to derail, I'll just say my peace:

Gaga >>>>>>>>>>>>>> M.I.A.

And then run out of the thread.

Her marriage didn't help her career; it was after the fact. It's just hard to hear an artist championing freedom fighters (some say terrorists) in her songs and interviews and then she hitches herself up to some record label family dynasty. It's an unbelievable amount of irony.

Either way, I'm looking forward to her new CD. She's got pretty cool songs!

Both of her prior albums were released on a major label in the US, isn't it impossible for major label artists who were already receiving mainstream radio air time to "sell out"?

Her marriage didn't help her career; it was after the fact. It's just hard to hear an artist championing freedom fighters (some say terrorists) in her songs and interviews and then she hitches herself up to some record label family dynasty. It's an unbelievable amount of irony.

Oh, gotcha. I guess I can see some irony, but that's like saying Bono can't speak out to champion the poor because he's filthy stinking rich.

So I can't agree, but thanks for clarifying. :)

I'd never think about comparing them, but I did bristle at her seemingly out-of-nowhere Gaga bashing in that interview.

Maybe something was lost in context or edited, but it seemed like she brought her up just to put her down.

I'd never think about comparing them, but I did bristle at her seemingly out-of-nowhere Gaga bashing in that interview.

Maybe something was lost in context or edited, but it seemed like she brought her up just to put her down.

I hadn't heard about it til just now, and I actually haven't even looked up what she said. I'm not cool with anyone bashing Gaga, but I'll let it slide.:lol:

I'm sorry, but the "sellout" game is tired and overplayed. We ALL sellout to some extent in our lives. Period.

And, fuck it, who the hell are we to say what her intentions were in marrying that guy? If she loves him, is she supposed to remain unmarried to him or to choose not to be with him simply because he's rich and connected? That's pretty fucked up, don't you think? There's no reason or indication to say that her music or politics will be different whatsoever because of her marriage and to try and call her a "sellout" for doing what she wants is demeaning, plain and simple.

Is that the interview where she said that Lady Gaga isn't doing anything new? If so, I'd say that's a fair assessment.

(Disclaimer - I didn't read the interview, but I heard about it. So please, correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm sorry, but the "sellout" game is tired and overplayed. We ALL sellout to some extent in our lives. Period.

And, fuck it, who the hell are we to say what her intentions were in marrying that guy? If she loves him, is she supposed to remain unmarried to him or to choose not to be with him simply because he's rich and connected? That's pretty fucked up, don't you think? There's no reason or indication to say that her music or politics will be different whatsoever because of her marriage and to try and call her a "sellout" for doing what she wants is demeaning, plain and simple.

Agreed.

I don't have a problem with people saying Gaga isn't doing anything new - I don't think she is, even though I love her.

It just read weird to me, like she brought her up just to be bitchy about her, like she was irritated over her fame.

Which I see a lot of on the internets these days, and I can understand how her ubiquity can be irritating to people who really don't care for her music or her whole deal in general, but it just read as unnecessary bitchery to me. I'm sure others took it differently within the interview.

Maybe I'm just naive and too nicey-nicey sometimes, but jeez, can't you just do your own thing and do your best, rather than have to take a jab at someone else? Especially with female artists, where the media pits them against each other so often - I don't like to see other female artists playing into that.

.... of course, I could be reading waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into a couple of passing comments. ;)

I don't have a problem with people saying Gaga isn't doing anything new - I don't think she is, even though I love her.

It just read weird to me, like she brought her up just to be bitchy about her, like she was irritated over her fame.

Which I see a lot of on the internets these days, and I can understand how her ubiquity can be irritating to people who really don't care for her music or her whole deal in general, but it just read as unnecessary bitchery to me. I'm sure others took it differently within the interview.

Okay, I understand where you're coming from.

Whereas, I tend to pretty much roll my eyes at anything/anyone that's hailed as the next new coming. If whoever/whatever sticks around for a few albums and maintains some cred, then I take a look at them. Which goes very far in explaining why I'm the last one ever to catch on to any new trends, but whatever. :wink:

If their songs entertain me, I can overlook irritating hype. :wink:

Yeah, yeah, next big thing, second coming of Madonna The Beatles Jesus Christ, whatever. Just gimme a catchy song.

If their songs entertain me, I can overlook irritating hype. :wink:

Yeah, yeah, next big thing, second coming of Madonna The Beatles Jesus Christ, whatever. Just gimme a catchy song.

That's the thing. I don't really expose myself to anything that would let me hear a Lady Gaga song, so I just hear of the hype first, and that kind of turns me off. Up till now, I've still only ever heard snippets of her songs. :reject: But what little I have heard hasn't inspired me to listen to more.

Back
Top Bottom