New M.I.A. album - June 29, 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Video was pretty lame, but I'm really looking forward to what Coppercab has to say about it.

0.jpg

I wasn't impressed with the song last week. Still not. And considering the album's only going to be ten tracks, we're already operating at a 10% shit level.

There have been a number of clunkers on both of the past albums as well, so I'm not too worried at this point.

Hopefully The Clash is not sampled on this album.

Has there been a good lead single released this year? I'm serious.

The National - Bloodbuzz, Ohio
Broken Social Scene - World Sick
Goldfrapp - Rocket
Yeasayer - Ambling Alp

That's all I can think of. A few more tracks are OK, but clearly among the weaker tracks on their respective albums.

Well, "Ambling Alp" turned out to be one of only two good songs on that album, so it should get double points for picking up slack.

Pretty meh video for a pretty dull song...I kind of liked that track that came out earlier with the strobe lights and all though. Obviously, our expectations shouldn't be set as high as Kala or Arular, but neither of those had songs as weak as the two she has put out this year.

What really annoys me is that this album will get fairly strong reviews just because of the name that's attached to it. If the rest of the record is on par with "Born Free", we could safely say that MIA would have been ignored entirely if this was her debut.

Has there been a good lead single released this year? I'm serious.

The National - Bloodbuzz, Ohio
Broken Social Scene - World Sick
Goldfrapp - Rocket
Yeasayer - Ambling Alp

That's all I can think of. A few more tracks are OK, but clearly among the weaker tracks on their respective albums.
I like Stylo.

She came out and talked shit about Gaga a couple weeks back, but that's probably a topic for another thread. Not to derail, I'll just say my peace:

Gaga >>>>>>>>>>>>>> M.I.A.

And then run out of the thread.

iwb's top five most hated songs:

1. mia - paper planes
2. lady gaga - bad romance
whatever i'd pick for 3, 4, and 5 combined couldn't match the hatred i have for those two songs individually.

I often used to play Straight to Hell in my room when people entered, just so that I could call them a fuckhead when they asked if it was Paper Planes.

I often used to play Straight to Hell in my room when people entered, just so that I could call them a fuckhead when they asked if it was Paper Planes.

see, if that song had come out when i was in college, something like that would have been the way i first heard it. yes, i can see it now. i would have been chilling in my room, listening to the clash. some piece of shit down the hall would have knocked on the door and said something, and then i would have looked at them like they were fucking crazy. a little googling and youtubing later would have revealed the most offensive musical crime in history, and i probably would have come in here and written a multi-paragraph diatribe, bitching and whining about how terrible it was.

clearly, i haven't changed at all in the last 5 years.

see, if that song had come out when i was in college, something like that would have been the way i first heard it. yes, i can see it now. i would have been chilling in my room, listening to the clash. some piece of shit down the hall would have knocked on the door and said something, and then i would have looked at them like they were fucking crazy. a little googling and youtubing later would have revealed the most offensive musical crime in history, and i probably would have come in here and written a multi-paragraph diatribe, bitching and whining about how terrible it was.

clearly, i haven't changed at all in the last 5 years.

:laugh:

I thought it was weird how long it took the song to get popular. I think you'd have liked it when it first came out, as it was actually "cool" that it sampled The Clash and referenced Wrexx n Effect. Then I started hearing complete douchebags have it as their cell phone ring tone, and became sad that people who were enjoying it weren't enjoying it for the same reasons I was. :wink:

A) I just don't like their songs as much as pop songs by other groups/singers

B) I find them just kind of generally annoying. :wink:
-

Lady Gaga digression - just wanted to let Cori know in the past few days, I've heard a couple of Gaga tracks. Bad Romance - decent. I could see it growing on me. Just Dance - meh squared. Sounded just like every other dancey number I scroll past on the radio. But I guess that's progress, right?

Yeah, Just Dance is fun, but nothing all that special. Bad Romance, though? Now we're talkin'.

we don't need gun control, we need video camera control. or at least less stringent gun control so i can more readily acquire firearms to shoot morons with video cameras.

Spin magazine gave the album a good review, guyzes!!11!!

Oh wait, Spin Magazine probably hasn't even listened to it.

Her obnoxious website layouts, no-point video for a shitty song, stupid album title, and general bad attitude as of late have really tempered my expectations for this.

Quick, which lead single is worse, the shitty MIA song, or the two shitty Arcade Fire songs?

Go!

Back
Top Bottom