New M.I.A. album - June 29, 2010 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #91
The Male

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Bands seem to have really stopped giving a shit about lead singles these days, particularly indie bands. M.I.A., LCD Soundsystem and Vampire Weekend are the worst offenders this year, I think. It's just not a huge deal for them because the critical reception they receive is significant enough to balance out a throwaway track.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Vampire Weekend are the worst
This I can get behind.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Bands seem to have really stopped giving a shit about lead singles these days, particularly indie bands. M.I.A., LCD Soundsystem and Vampire Weekend are the worst offenders this year, I think. It's just not a huge deal for them because the critical reception they receive is significant enough to balance out a throwaway track.
Are you saying Cousins or Horchata was a poor choice? Don't remember which one was the actual single?

Either way, I like both those songs a lot and the choice doesn't bug me as much as Drunk Girls, one of the two worst songs on the album.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #94
Blue Meth Addict

Arcade Fire may take that title with this new album.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #95
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Are you saying Cousins or Horchata was a poor choice? Don't remember which one was the actual single?

Either way, I like both those songs a lot and the choice doesn't bug me as much as Drunk Girls, one of the two worst songs on the album.
Horchata has never been a single; Cousins was first. Everything they do is terrible, so neither would have been a great choice in my book, but Cousins has absolutely nothing going for it whatsoever.

BTW, just to clarify, I really, really like XXXO, and wiki claims that's the first legit single. Born Free was apparently just released to stir shit.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't know, Cousins has that hot little surf guitar lick which I like a lot.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

@ basically everything this woman has done, outside of the studio, over the course of the last five or six years.

Every time I think she can't do/say/conceive/Tweet anything any more stupidly, she just keeps on sinking. I liked like half of Piracy Funds Terrorism and Arular, though I haven't listened to the former literally since like Jan or Feb of 2005 (maybe it's time to revisit it?), totally loved Kala (but had trouble dealing with the hilarious praise heaped on so allegedly forward thinking an album--samples???? GASP!!! how galling!), and am struggling to find a reason not to hate this new record before it even comes out. I guess that I'm just clarifying--M.I.A. drives me crazy and always has, as I don't suffer fools all that gladly; but I have enjoyed a good deal of "her" music and hope to enjoy more of it.

Her incomprehensible blog is now featuring the unedited version of events from that nontroversial interview which ran (and to which she responded by posting the reporter's personal information on her Twitter account; excellent strategy, that: come across as a spoiled brat, attempt to dispel such a notion by acting like...even more of a spoiled brat) in the New York Times. As it turns out, the interviewer ordered the fries. WOW! God damn, if I read an interview with myself which stated I was eating fries (which I was) but not that I didn't order or pay for them, I would LOSE MY FUCKING MIND, too! Ugh.

I'm sorry. Am I missing something, maybe? It seems like about 99% of the internet agrees with me, but I'm willing to listen to whatever other side there may be, to all of this. Also hoping that I enjoy this record a lot more than the last few songs I've heard. I liked that "Space Oddity" track, or whatever it was called, but haven't cared for the other two. I mean, I'm a Suicide fan, but that wasn't even a sample-based song; it was just toasting. And bad toasting, at that.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #98
Blue Crack Distributor

I've liked a good number of her songs but don't think she's quite as awesome as the internet music world would have me believe, but yeah, I'm with you.

It seems like every time she opens her mouth lately, she annoys me more. This endless bullshit about that Vanity Fair article is just irritating.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Here is the actual, sprawling feature:

M.I.A.’s Agitprop Pop - NYTimes.com
Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And then the "corrections," as such:

1) Didn't buy the fries! ROFL

2) This OUTRAGEOUS twisting of words:

Article:

Quote:
"In January 2009, while the civil war in Sri Lanka was raging, Maya repeatedly referred to the situation as a 'genocide.' 'I wasn’t trying to be like Bono,' Maya told me. 'He's not from Africa — I'm from there. I'm tired of pop stars who say, 'Give peace a chance.' I'd rather say, 'Give war a chance.' The whole point of going to the Grammys was to say, 'Hey, 50,000 people are gonna die next month, and here's your opportunity to help.' And no one did.'"
Real life:

Quote:
"It wasn't just about me, and me getting to the Oscars, or me going to the Grammys. That doesn't mean anything. The whole point of the journey was so you can go, 'Hey, 50,000 people are going to die next month. Here's your opportunity to to help.' And no one did, and they still died. It wasn't about accolades or fame."
Me: Get the fuck over yourself.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Completely agree on everything, as I mentioned on the previous page. The phone number tweet was such a bitch move.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #102
Babyface

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I've liked a good number of her songs but don't think she's quite as awesome as the internet music world would have me believe, but yeah, I'm with you.

It seems like every time she opens her mouth lately, she annoys me more. This endless bullshit about that Vanity Fair article is just irritating.
what article? can you post a link pls? i think she's quite cool and quite original. not everything is great stuff of course but still i like her personality.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Here is the actual, sprawling feature:

M.I.A.’s Agitprop Pop - NYTimes.com
I haven't read it, just have been commenting on the online war MIA has taken upon herself to wage.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:23 PM
While the difference between the actual quote and the article may not seem outrageous to you, it certainly gives MIA a foothold in this argument. This story is now about the journo's integrity rather than about MIA. She's played this well.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #105
Blue Crack Distributor

Isn't the author the same one who got on Courtney Love's bad side in the 90s for writing that she'd done heroin while pregnant with Frances Bean?