New M.I.A. album - June 29, 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we can be glad that a lot of the press isn't willing to play emperor's new clothes with this garbage. Nothing worse than people getting a free pass because of what they did in the past...upon listening to "Born Free" for the first time, I could just imagine some morons watching M.I.A. in concert and trying to feign excitement as she launches into that schlock. :doh:

I think it's at least a 4.9, those butchers.

Seriously, though, I am angry that there isn't at least far and wide love for "It Takes a Muscle." One of the best covers I've heard in the last few years.

Popmatters review was quite similar:

M.I.A.: ///Y/ < PopMatters

Allmusic seem to have given it a 7 (which is their lowest score for one of her albums), but don't have an actual review supporting it yet.

Swooping in for my first listen. "iPhone connects to the internet connects to the Google connects to the government." HA!

Anyone catch her appearance on Letterman last night? She did "Born Free" which I think is a horrid song. The keyboardist was literally just banging and rubbing his closed fists on random keys for much of the song. I suppose I shouldn't keep piling on - her first 2 albums are fantastic - but man does this one suck.

The album wasn't as much of a train wreck as I'd hoped. For that reason, chalk me up as tremendously disappointed.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. It's decent, I think. And while it's retarded, all the albums have been retarded in the same way. No extra ammo.

Back
Top Bottom