New Fiona Apple Album Spring 2011 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 01:12 AM
No autotune on that track. Love the vocals.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Apparently tickets for her show in L.A. are $63?

Fuck off. Now I'm going to download your album for free, too.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #63
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:12 AM
That'll show her.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #64
45:33

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen
That'll show her.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:12 AM
I heard Every Single Night on the radio this morning. It was gorgeous.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #66
Refugee

Local Time: 09:12 AM
I'm surprised beegee hasn't shared her thoughts on the new single. Has she spontaneously combusted from high levels of exposure to its awesomeness?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Link

Quote:
FIONA APPLE was angry. Very angry. “Angry, angry, angry,” as she put it during a long, unguarded conversation on a Friday afternoon in SoHo. About a year and a half ago, after she had completed the album she’ll release on June 19 — a collection of stripped-down, percussive songs that’s as passionate, smart and cutting as anything she’s done — Ms. Apple got so angry that she started walking up and down a hill near her home in Venice, Calif.

The album was in music-business limbo. Ms. Apple was delaying it until her label, Epic Records, found a new president. She had not made a new album since 2005 and didn’t want her work to be mishandled amid corporate disarray. And she was in deep personal turmoil. “I just spiraled downward, and everything looked bad,” she said.

She started to climb that hill for eight hours a day, day after day, until she could barely walk, until she was limping, and then until she could not walk at all. Her knees required months of therapy. “Something about that was a rite of passage,” she said. “I think it’s really healthy to lose things or to give things up for a while, to deprive yourself of certain things. It’s always a good learning experience, because I felt like it really was like, ‘I must learn to walk again.’ I had to walk out all that stuff, and I knew it was stupid, and I kept on walking.”

“The Idler Wheel” is counting on the devotion of Ms. Apple’s fans. Before she appeared at South by Southwest her manager, Andy Slater, said he told Epic Records: “ ‘I want you to do nothing.’ I said: ‘Don’t make any posters. Don’t make any cards. Don’t put out a single. Just don’t say anything. Let her play the show. It’s been a few years. Let kids go to the show, film the thing, put it on their blogs, and you don’t need to do anything.’ ” Almost immediately after her set amateur video clips were on YouTube.

Ms. Apple’s new songs are proudly skeletal. “I wanted to make everything as stark as possible, so you could hear everything,” she said. While her previous albums have relied on studio bands and orchestral arrangements, “The Idler Wheel” is almost entirely a collaboration between Ms. Apple and the percussionist Charley Drayton. “I felt we could take the same risk with sound as the songs were taking,” Mr. Drayton said by e-mail.

The album’s minimal personnel reflects Ms. Apple’s isolation. By her account, she spends nearly all of her time alone. Her occasional hangout has been the Los Angeles club Largo, where many collaborators — including her past producer Jon Brion and members of Nickel Creek — perform regularly, and she has sometimes been coaxed to sit in. “The only place I go is Largo, and I’m not exaggerating,” she said. “I walk my dog at dawn because I don’t like people to be around.”

Ms. Apple and Mr. Drayton produced the new album together, making music largely from her piano and other keyboards, his drums and sounds they collected. At the apartment of one of Ms. Apple’s ex-boyfriends, the magician David Blaine, “we threw pebbles down his garbage chute,” she said. “We threw a big huge water bottle down the spiral staircase. We hit the big water tank he uses to drown in.” Elsewhere Ms. Apple recorded the machinery at a plastic bottle factory and the screams of children playing.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #68
Refugee

Studio version of Anything We Want: Anything We Want by fionaapple on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Edit: I can confirm it is superb; imaginative kitchen-sink percussion and wonderfully perverse. The ghost of Jon Brion can be felt somewhere in the room.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #69
Neon Zebra

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh...

Thank you.

I love love love this song.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Not sure I like the description of what this album's going to sound like. Bjork's Medulla? PJ Harvey's White Chalk?

These are like the low points of their respective artists.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #71
The Male

White Chalk was a low point?

Anyway, intimacy suits Fiona better than bombast. I think she'll do something great with this sound.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #72
Refugee

White Chalk is incredible. If there's such a thing as a lesser PJ Harvey album, it would be Uh Huh Her.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #73
Neon Zebra

Maybe it will sound like a new Fiona Apple album and we can all just enjoy listening to it.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
White Chalk was a low point?

Anyway, intimacy suits Fiona better than bombast. I think she'll do something great with this sound.

What constitutes bombast? I think When The Pawn is far and away her best work but it's got a LOT of Jon Brion in its personality.

And yeah. White Chalk was boring as fuck. Not even close to the similarly downbeat Is This Desire? Uh Huh Her may not have been as consistent as her better albums, but its high points are great.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #75
45:33

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Hang on, let me just check with Christgau