New Dave Matthews Band album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerseyhitman12

Babyface
Just wondering if anyone is a Dave Matthews Band fan as well. Also wondering about everyone's thoughts on the new album stand up. It's streaming on vh1.com. I'm also a huge DMB fan. I'm starting to fade a little though because every summer at the shows it seems to be less and less about the music and more just about getting drunk. It seems like the crowd at a DMB show now is just there because their older brothers and sisters went back in the 90s.

I like DMB but don't follow them closely like a "fan" would. I do, however, love the new single, American Baby.... that's one groovy little tune! :dancing:

Last edited:
I am a pretty stinkin huge Dave fan. If you pre-ordered the album from them, the song Joyride that comes on the bonus CD is pretty sweet. I saw them play it last summer, they also played Hello Again that evening which is really great live imo.

AOL is webcasting their CD release show on Monday night
http://music.channel.aol.com/

Yea, I think I'm most disappointed that they didn't keep the summer songs on the album. Sugar Will, Joyride, Good Good Time and Crazy Easy were all good songs.

jerseyhitman12 said:
Just wondering if anyone is a Dave Matthews Band fan as well. Also wondering about everyone's thoughts on the new album stand up. It's streaming on vh1.com. I'm also a huge DMB fan. I'm starting to fade a little though because every summer at the shows it seems to be less and less about the music and more just about getting drunk. It seems like the crowd at a DMB show now is just there because their older brothers and sisters went back in the 90s.

im a big dave fan. i am seeing him in philly again this summer. i always make it to his shows during the summer. its a big get together of friends from all over. and i know what you mean about the partying. :wink: I think we will get down their at noon and the rest it history. i also find it amazing how everyone is underage and drinking but cops just walk by and smile at you, o well works for me. haha

off to listen to the stream

Re: Re: New Dave Matthews Band album

mkdominatr said:

im a big dave fan. i am seeing him in philly again this summer. i always make it to his shows during the summer. its a big get together of friends from all over. and i know what you mean about the partying. :wink: I think we will get down their at noon and the rest it history. i also find it amazing how everyone is underage and drinking but cops just walk by and smile at you, o well works for me. haha

off to listen to the stream

I'm going to a show at the Tweeter Center in the beginning of July, and I'll be sure to be really fucking drunk.

Well I answered my own question. I found a torrent of it, haven't listened to it yet though. This ought to be fun.

I couldn't find another more recent thread except for the thread on Leroi :)sad: ), so I thought I'd just bump this one. Has anyone else heard the new album? Thoughts? I've only listened to it once so far, but I am really enjoying it. Finally got me to get fully into DMB like I've been meaning to for the last oh...9 years or so

I'm enjoying the new album. Shake It Like A Monkey, Spaceman and Seven are the ones I'm liking right now. I think its a better album than Stand Up. I plan on seeing them when they come through Salt Lake in September.

I love that all conversation came to a screeching halt once people actually heard Stand Up. :lmao:

The new record is good. Hardly a classic for the ages, but Funny The Way It Is, Why I Am, and Seven are worthy additions to the DMB catalogue. It's a pretty fun listen, especially for a memorial album (RIP Leroi).

Finally got around to watching the live show they had on Fuse (DVR ftw?) and I would very much like to see them live if possible. The Big Whiskey tracks they played were fantastic live, especially Squirm and Time Bomb.

Hi all, huge DMB fan here. bono212 you should try to catch a show they really put on a good one, lots of energy.

I'm loving the new album, best one yet IMO. So now its Big Whiskey and NLOTH on repeat! DMB in July, U2 in Sept. Life is good.

Yeah and Stand Up meh, not their best.............

It's pretty bad when the resident fan didn't know they had a new album coming out, isn't it?

I heard on the radio today, "And that was the new one by Dave Matthews Band" (didn't catch the song itself) and was like, "Ohhhh shiiiitttt!" I'm once again missing them at Alpine Valley. I swear, someday :fist:

Anyways, new song:

Dave Matthews Band - Mercy - YouTube

It sounds a lot like them but a little less rock than the last lead single. Very pretty saxophone towards the end though. It's generally a pretty song. I'm happy. And excited. Hurray.

Listened through the new album twice... still not really sure what to make of it. I like it alright, but the arrangements are strange, even for DMB. I kind of expected MORE from DMB and Lillywhite being back together. Lyrics are kind of weak. Boyd's presensce is felt much more here than other recent DMB output, and the horn section is spot on. Carter's drumming is unusually understated throughout the album.

I think in time I'll grow to apprecitate it's place in the DMB catalog, but it's going to be a grower for sure. After the album was done playing, the DMB song "Pig" came on, and I realized that there is nothing on AFTW as good as that song.

I caved and bought it after seeing Dave on Ellen and a few other recent talk shows. I was a bit disappointed. I like his older stuff. He has a signature sound and I am beginning to think most of his songs sound a bit of the same to me. :reject:

I really wish I could love Dave as much as I used to, I kind of miss DMB. But... I checked this out on iTunes, and maybe only one or two songs seemed interesting to me. Everything's kind of been more of the same thing since Busted Stuff. Too bad- their 90's stuff kicked ass.

I mean, I think their last album is their best, so consider me incredibly disappointed by this one.

I do love "Mercy" though.

I hate to disagree with 212, but one listen has convinced me that this is a massive improvement over the last two albums. Gone is the Adult Contemporary, guitar-led stuff, and back with great welcome is the swagger of the supporting musicians. I usually don't like making such statements, but I think this is the best DMB album since Crowded Streets.

Back
Top Bottom