New Arctic Monkeys album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and I mustn't forget the names of 2 potential b-sides that the lads spoke of in some magazine I read. "Don't Forget Whose Legs You're On" and "Catapult", the latter of which Josh Homme said was his favourite song from the desert sessions, and that the band was mad to leave it off the album.

Love my Monkeys...haven't listened to the new songs yet...gunna wait till I get the album!

OMG I have been listening to them since I was in the 7th grade...that's kind of scary
:reject:

Read through the Thread, seems like u guys really like what u have been hearing so far!

Oh, and I mustn't forget the names of 2 potential b-sides that the lads spoke of in some magazine I read. "Don't Forget Whose Legs You're On" and "Catapult", the latter of which Josh Homme said was his favourite song from the desert sessions, and that the band was mad to leave it off the album.

Hmmm, thanks, I don't know how I hadn't heard about that. I really hope those show up someday. Preferably as B-Sides to Crying Lightning.

Love my Monkeys...haven't listened to the new songs yet...gunna wait till I get the album!

OMG I have been listening to them since I was in the 7th grade...that's kind of scary
:reject:

Read through the Thread, seems like u guys really like what u have been hearing so far!

*feels old*

I first heard about them on NPR - I think Tony Blair had made some comment about them and they reviewed Whatever You Say I Am right when it came out.

I think you really had to be growing up as the first album came out to truly understand Arctic Monkeys. I was in my final years at high school as the first album and the subsequent EP came out, and they're pretty much the soundtrack to my youth.

I think you really had to be growing up as the first album came out to truly understand Arctic Monkeys. I was in my final years at high school as the first album and the subsequent EP came out, and they're pretty much the soundtrack to my youth.

respectfully disagree. I was 33 when 'Whatever You Say I Am' came out and it made me remember what is was like to go to a club and get all sweaty and pogo in front of the stage all night.

didn't the Last Shadow Puppets do a nice cover of Red Right Hand?

my favourite so far is Pretty Visitors, but just by a hair. it's amazing to hear how developed these songs are, musically and rhythmically, compared to the first two albums.

didn't the Last Shadow Puppets do a nice cover of Red Right Hand?

I know that the Arctics started playing it live earlier this year, and I don't remember the LSP ever playing it. Either way, looking forward to a studio version of it.

Strangely enough, I first heard that song in the movie Dumb and Dumber.

Really looking forward to this.

They are not bad musically but the real highlights are always Alex Turner's lyrics - best lyricist since Morrissey

The rip is fine. The album itself is 50-50 for me.

The good songs are as good as anything they've ever done. The bad ones wouldn't get a look in as WPSIATWIN b-sides.

I was very excited about this album, but I have to say, it isn't as good as WPS or FWN

The rip is fine. The album itself is 50-50 for me.

The good songs are as good as anything they've ever done. The bad ones wouldn't get a look in as WPSIATWIN b-sides.

I was very excited about this album, but I have to say, it isn't as good as WPS or FWN

Which are the bad ones for you?

For me, it's:
My Propeller - 8/10
Crying Lightning - 7.5/10
Dangerous Animals - 9/10
Secret Door - 8.5/10
Potion Approaching - 9/10
Fire and the Thud - 9/10
Cornerstone - 9.5/10
Dance Little Liar - 9/10
Pretty Visitors - 9/10
The Jeweller's Hands - 8/10

easily their best for me.

Ummmm, yeah. I can't get this album out of my head. Heavy as hell, this is. I can't get D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S out of my head. The rhythm section owns this album. (Well, Alex owns it too.)

Potion Approaching is one of the strangest love songs I've ever heard.

My Propeller is the perfect opener. "If you can summon the strength, tow me..."

Secret Door. Gorgeous. "She swam out of tonight's phantasm..."

Cornerstone is, like Mr. V said, one of the best things Alex has ever written. And the closing trio of Dance Little Liar, Pretty Visitors, and Jeweller's Hands takes you from soulful to menacing to hypnotizing and back again. Good shit, Monkeys.

A agree wholeheartedly

Which are the bad ones for you?

For me, it's:
My Propeller - 8/10
Crying Lightning - 7.5/10
Dangerous Animals - 9/10
Secret Door - 8.5/10
Potion Approaching - 9/10
Fire and the Thud - 9/10
Cornerstone - 9.5/10
Dance Little Liar - 9/10
Pretty Visitors - 9/10
The Jeweller's Hands - 8/10

easily their best for me.

OMF that good!?!?!

Wow, Dangerous Animals kicks almost a little bit too much ass for me. The song has been stuck in my head literally for 3 days.

There's no way I would have been able to wait another month for this. I suggest you get on it. I'll be buying three copies also - one for my place, one for my car and one for my place back home.

Alright, if I were to start with the debut or the sophomore effort, what would you guys recommend? I was recently convinced to give these guys another chance.

That's a very interesting question. How familiar are you with their stuff? You've heard the debut before and didn't care much for it?

Either way, I would say go with the debut. Although you might as well just go with both the debut and the follow up.

And I'm curious as to what convinced you to give em another shot. Alex's leather jacket?

Back
Top Bottom