New Arctic Monkeys album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
Arctic Monkeys are pleased to announce they will be releasing their as-yet-untitled third album on Monday 24th August 2009.

Produced by Josh Homme in the Mojave Desert and LA, and with James Ford in Brooklyn, the album features ten new Arctic Monkeys songs.

The tracklisting is as follows:

01. My Propeller
02. Crying Lightning
03. Dangerous Animals
04. Secret Door
05. Potion Approaching
06. Fire & The Thud
07. Cornerstone
08. Dance Little Liar
09. Pretty Visitors
10. The Jeweller's Hands

The album will be available on CD, vinyl and via digital download.

I'm as big a champion of these guys as anyone...loved 'em since the fall of '05 when I first heard the demos for songs like "Cigarette Smoke" and "Scummy" (later known as "When the Sun Goes Down"). They kick ass. Alex Turner. Enough said. And Matt Helders is as talented and enthusiastic a drummer as I've ever seen. But you guys already know all that.

The thing is that I can't help but be slightly underwhelmed by this tracklisting. I'm still exceedingly happy that a release date has finally been set but there are only 10 songs...4 of which have already been in circulation (via live recordings) for a while now. I guess it's not really that big of a complaint, whatever. 6 brand new Arc Monk songs in August!!! And I'll be seeing them for the 3rd time at Lollapalooza.

Here are decent live versions of two of the tracks that will be appearing on this thing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwI8XucVfOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNbLAoziFQ

Oh, and I guess there's something to be said about the fact that there are only 10 tracks on here...this band has been awesome so far in their career at giving the fans loads of B-Sides and EP's and things like that. So we should be getting more stuff eventually. If you only know this band based on their two (amazing) full-length studio albums...well then you don't really know them at all.

Crying Lightning: :up:

every album Alex Turner has recorded has gone to #1 in the UK. i'm sure the next will be no different.

I enjoy them once in awhile, Turner's songwriting doesn't blow me away, and they do really fit into that fun rocking British band with annoying singer with strong accent category, but sometimes its fun to rock out to "Fake Tales of San Francisco" or the like.

I'll be interested to hear what they've got for 2009.

discothequeLP, powerhour24, martha. you are my 3 favorite posters on this message board.

thanks for being cool.

Looking forward to this. I really liked the last release.

Whatever people say i am got a ton of hype, but fav. worst nightmare is one of my most favorite nightmares albums ever. the feel of the whole album is something i've never heard before -- it sounds like an actual nightmare! if you were there, beware might top a certain romance as my fav. arctic song, and the performance on the Apollo DVD is so fucking cool.

I'll be buying this. And I agree with dLP. Nightmares is one of the few albums I consider to be perfect.

Whatever people say i am got a ton of hype, but fav. worst nightmare is one of my most favorite nightmares albums ever. the feel of the whole album is something i've never heard before -- it sounds like an actual nightmare! if you were there, beware might top a certain romance as my fav. arctic song, and the performance on the Apollo DVD is so fucking cool.

I personally love 505. I think that on a whole the album is better from start to finish than Whatever People Say....

The name of the new Arctic Monkeys album is...drum roll please...

Humbug

fucking awwwwwesome. i think it works well with the dark and sort of menacing and slower paced tracks we've already heard. also, i guess the guys have been listening to Black Sabbath. Jamie's got a beard and Alex looks really hot with the long hair. rock and roll.

123_zoom.jpg

Arctic Monkeys are the first band I ever fell in love with. I have every album, b-side, live-only track and demo available. I have everything the Last Shadow Puppets have released. Alex Turner is a lyrical genius, Helders is nuts on the drums, and the other boys are great too.

I am looking forward to Humbug like you wouldn't believe.

discothequeLP, powerhour24, martha. you are my 3 favorite posters on this message board.

thanks for being cool.

You're welcome :wave:, you ignite conversation all over this board, and I always enjoy it, so thanks right back at you!

The only problem I have with this album before it comes out is that it only has 10 songs, which means likely it'll be about 35 minutes, which is too brief for an Arctic Monkeys experience in my opinion.

The only problem I have with this album before it comes out is that it only has 10 songs, which means likely it'll be about 35 minutes, which is too brief for an Arctic Monkeys experience in my opinion.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my original post. It really is a bit disappointing that after the long hiatus they're only tossing 10 songs on here. But what are you gonna do? I trust them. Looks like they're going for the whole brevity thing, quality over quantity. We'll see.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my original post. It really is a bit disappointing that after the long hiatus they're only tossing 10 songs on here. But what are you gonna do? I trust them. Looks like they're going for the whole brevity thing, quality over quantity. We'll see.

Maybe they'll actually have b-sides to their singles. :hyper:

Maybe they'll actually have b-sides to their singles. :hyper:

I can't tell if you're kidding or not, because this is probably the best band that I know of when it comes to putting original B-Sides on their singles. All six of the singles they've released in their career have had at least two songs attached as B-Sides. And four of those singles came with three B-Sides. They're damn good quality B-Sides, too. "If You Found This...", "Plastic Tramp", "Bigger Boys..", "Settle For A Draw", "Too Much To Ask", the cover of "Baby I'm Yours." These are some of the band's best tracks.

I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Sun_Goes_Down_(Arctic_Monkeys_song)
Leave Before the Lights Come On - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Brianstorm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fluorescent Adolescent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Teddy Picker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Album cover:

arcticmonkeys_humbug.jpg

I'm trying to find a bigger version of it. Either way, it's not what I was expecting but I like it very much. Purple!!!

I wasn't kidding. I'm just used to the trend of no b-sides from most bands.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at. And there's not only the official B-Sides that I mentioned above but also the handful of unreleased songs like "Space Invaders", "Curtains Close", and the original "Cigarette Smoke" demo that were recorded before the band hit it big and give you a cool glimpse into their early style.

And, of course, there's the Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys EP which has some great gems on it. "Despair...", "No Buses" and the title track are all fantastic.

Anyway, Mr. V, I'm curious what you think of the album cover since you seem to be maybe the only person on this board who likes this band as much as I do.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at. And there's not only the official B-Sides that I mentioned above but also the handful of unreleased songs like "Space Invaders", "Curtains Close", and the original "Cigarette Smoke" demo that were recorded before the band hit it big and give you a cool glimpse into their early style.

And, of course, there's the Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys EP which has some great gems on it. "Despair...", "No Buses" and the title track are all fantastic.

Anyway, Mr. V, I'm curious what you think of the album cover since you seem to be maybe the only person on this board who likes this band as much as I do.
It's gorgeous. It feels like the band for me, particularly the early material, and around the WTFAAM and LBTLCO era. It kinda looks like they're smoking pot though, so if this album is the result of an orgy between Arctic Monkeys, The Last Shadow Puppets and psychedelic drugs, then I'll be as happy as a cock in a cunt shop.

ive never heard an arctic song/bside that i didn't enjoy thoroughly. it's incredible what kind of music those guys can put out. the early version of Riot Van is my fav. unreleased track, what an amazing atmosphere that song has.

as for the album cover, i don't think it's as cool as Fav. Worst Nightmare, but i like how the album name isn't even on it.

Yeah, so if you haven't gotten onto Arceys b-sides... drop everything and do it now. I can give you them if you want.

I've got the b-sides from the three singles of Favourite Worst Nightmare and 7, Baby I'm Yours, Cigarette Smoke, Da Frame 2R, If You Found This It's Probably Too Late, Matador, No Buses, Settle For A Draw, Stickin To The Floor, and Who The Fuck Are The Arctic Monkeys?

Am I missing much else?

I've got the b-sides from the three singles of Favourite Worst Nightmare and 7, Baby I'm Yours, Cigarette Smoke, Da Frame 2R, If You Found This It's Probably Too Late, Matador, No Buses, Settle For A Draw, Stickin To The Floor, and Who The Fuck Are The Arctic Monkeys?

Am I missing much else?

Do you have Leave Before the Lights Come On? That's a classic.

Despair in the Departure Lounge, for sure. Gorgeous song.

Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts (there's a few different versions of this)
Too Much to Ask
Space Invaders
Plastic Tramp
The Bakery
On the Run From the MI5
Knock a Door Run
Choo Choo
Chun Li's Spinning Bird Kick
Curtains Close
Ravey Ravey Ravey Club
Death Ramps
Nettles
Put Your Dukes Up, John
What If You Were Right the First Time?
Temptation Greets You Like Your Naughty Friend
Bad Woman

My bad if you already have some of those. Just trying to be comprehensive. I'm pretty sure that's it if you include the ones that you listed above.

He can't sing. I can't even listen to thier music

Cool. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom