New Arctic Monkeys album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reaction after one listen: It's good, I wouldn't call it the greatest album of the year, but I definitely want to hear it again, and I got a lot out of it. I'm very new to the Arctic Monkeys, but I love what I've heard, including this.

After about a gazillion listens and getting through my fanboy zomgilovethis period, it's still, rather easily, my favourite album of the year. I just bought it today.

I can't wait to see where they go next.

I listened to it last night. I much prefer the first two albums. This one is ok, and I'll listen to it again at times, but it won't get as much play as the first two did. And I'm not going to go see them on a school night to hear mostly songs from an album that's not one I like that much.

This album should have taken it to a greater extreme in either direction. They should have sludged the fuck out of their sound and slowed things down to a crawl ala Kyuss or made something more raw, spry and punky with stronger hooks. As it is, this just sounds like a really lazy version of what they already had. And I miss Alex Turner's more true-to-life tales...a lot of this is gibberish, which is great for Beck or Jeff Tweedy, but not a storyteller like Turner. :shrug:

My favorite song here is Cornerstone. Really solid melody, hope it becomes a single.

This is just a random little tidbit - LM is wishing the Arctics had been even stranger on the album. One of the B-sides to the lead single off of the album is called "I Haven't Got My Strange." Just thought that was kind of interesting. I will be ranking the tracks on Humbug now:

1. Crying Lightning
2. Cornerstone
3. My Propeller
4. Secret Door
5. Dangerous Animals
6. Pretty Visitors
7. Dance Little Liar
8. The Jeweller's Hands
9. Potion Approaching
10. Fire and the Thud

The new album has grown on me a lot. Never thought I'd say this because first I didn't seem to get into it.

My favourite ones right now are:

Crying Lightning
Cornerstone
My Propeller
Secret Door

But I hate Dangerous Animals, that song makes me go :crazy:

:up::up:

Good choices, LU. As you'll see right above you that is my exact Top 4 from the album.

If I could toss their cover of "Red Right Hand" into the list, it would probably be my #5 favorite tune from this Arc Monks era.

just saw them in San Diego on Monday and Hollywood and Tuesday, and these guys are on FIRE. the new songs sound really great, and just when i thought they couldn't get any better live they totally killed at the last two shows. see them if you can, it's a great experience.

Back
Top Bottom