New Antony & The Johnsons stuff!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrTeeth

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Yes friends, the fantabulous Antony & The Johnsons will be releasing the Another World EP on the 7th of October. A new album, The Crying Light, will be released in January 2009 (omg someone's releasing an album after Christmas!!1).

Everybody rejoice!

joy.gif
joy.gif

I think the song is pleasing...very peaceful and a bit sad. But the video? I don't think I ever need to see that again.

There are a few reviews of the EP over at rateyourmusic. Most people seem to like a few songs a lot, but not the whole EP. :shrug: Sounds like it's still worth picking up, though.

I'm just listening to it for the first time and I'm already amazed by the first half. Kiss my Name is fantastic! :heart:

I listened to "I Am a Bird Now" a few days ago on a whim, and was extremely impressed. The vocals especially are simultaneously haunting and moving, with the light orchestral accompaniments only enhancing that effect. I will definitely be checking out "The Crying Light" in the very near future.

I'll say. I just saw him on Letterman. Fantastic. I need that record now.

I did buy it, and it's worth the $$$. I find it more subdued and delicate than his first two albums, which have far more dramatic, grandiose moments. The beauty is still there, though, which is a trademark of Antony's music. It is a sparkling, beautiful gem of a record, that's for sure, just a touch different from his first two.

So yes. Get it as soon as you can. :yes:

I finally had the time to thoroughly listen to the new album. It's a lot more muted than I Am a Bird Now and the songs aren't as immediate or memorable, but it's definitely the kind of album that unfolds with repeated listenings :up: I hope he tours Australia again; the show I saw a couple of years ago was sublime.

I really enjoy this, but I'm gathering from the discussion here and reviews that I've read that it's not representative of the Antony discography. Where should I head next? If it helps, I really enjoyed Antony's guest vocal on Rufus Wainwright's "Old Whore's Diet"...

Well, he only has three studio albums and a few EPSs, so I think that it is difficult to identify a "representative" sound. But if I were forced to choose, it wouold probably be "I Am a Bird Now."

I Am a Bird Now is what I would say as well. It looks back to his first album well with all of its bigger sounds, but it also has its quiet moments, like the new one. It makes for a good middle of the road exposure to Antony's music, I think.

I gave it a listen a few nights ago. I really liked it on first listen, and suspect that I will grow to love it upon multiple listens. The duet with Bjork is absolutely ethereal.

Antony guests on a few tracks from Bjork's Volta as well. You might want to check those out as well, if you have not already done so.

Back
Top Bottom