Neil Young - Le Noise - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Neil Young - Le Noise

reviews/reports of the September 28 album are starting to pop up. I can't wait for this album. I've been following the stories on it since I first heard of it through Lanois' facebook page

this is shaping up to be a bonafied classic.

Neil Young’s ‘Le Noise’ is a whole lot of Lanois too — Buzzbands.LA

"No truth to the joke that “Lanois” isQuébécois for “crazier horse,” but the Canadian-born, L.A.-based producer — whose credits include U2, Bob Dylan, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel, Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson — has on this new album fashioned a massive, soundscapey netherworld for Young’s new songs. The vocals, steeped in reverb, seem poured out of pitcher; noises are looped and warped to frame the guitarist’s signature riffage; the songs are unblinking as ever, especially the biographical “Hitchhiker.” Amid a roar as powerful as Young has ever mustered, he takes a couplet by couplet look back on his own life, and the results are moving."

First Listen: Impressions of Neil Young's 'Le Noise' (upon hearing it at Daniel Lanois' house) | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times

What’s striking about “Le Noise” is the way it both summarizes and distills Young’s singular approach to music, predominantly just Neil and a guitar: his big, white hollow-body Gretsch electric slashing and burning for most of the tracks, a couple built around picked and strummed acoustic instruments. Both are recorded and amplified -- literally and metaphorically -- by Lanois’ signature soundscapes that loop vocals, and enhance the guitars’ bass notes through distortion boxes, synthesizers and other electronics.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 08-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 11:06 PM
Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Looking forward to hearing it.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
The Male

! This gives me an excuse to listen to something other than Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, On The Beach, etc...Young has completely dominated my music listening over the past couple of years.

Here's hoping that Lanois duplicated the Time Out Of Mind/Wrecking Ball magic. And that, you know, he's healing up alright.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
! This gives me an excuse to listen to something other than Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, On The Beach, etc...Young has just dominated my music listening over the past couple of years.

Here's hoping that Lanois duplicated the Time Out Of Mind/Wrecking Ball magic.
fingers crossed.. Neil hasn't put out a consistently great album in years

this is his first true solo record.. which is interesting too
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

good quality bootleg of Peaceful Valley Boul. here:

YouTube - NEIL YOUNG-PEACEFULL VALLEY (new song)
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

and love and war:

YouTube - NEIL YOUNG-LOVE AND WAR (new song)
Old 08-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

The only Young album from the last 10 years that I really dug was the "lost" album Chrome Dreams 2. It's not like he's been doing mostly crap, just nothing very exciting.

But I have a lot of faith in the studio magic of Fanny Patois. He has produced my favorite Shuttlecock, Peter Gabriel (Us), and Dylan (Oh Mercy) albums.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm waiting to hear this in full.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
War Child

Ah, I didn't see this thread when I posted mine. Maybe mine can be merged into this. Anyway, the whole album is up on NPR now.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
The Male

It's pretty cool. I'm really disappointed by the lack of any sort of rhythm section, but that's just a stylistic choice that I will have to get used to. The songs are good, and the instrumentation is fascinating.

This will likely remain a curiosity rather than a renaissance for Neil, but it definitely does signal the return of that awesome Hey Hey, My My guitar tone. Moar of that in the future, please.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

solid review. this one's for the audiophiles!

Le Noise review – Music Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

Quote:
...How Lanois got such terrific sounds, and what he did with the guitar, is part of the genius. He initially outfitted an acoustic model with a pickup that imitates the human voice and loops it through the song, manipulated the two low strings to give them heavier bass presence, and plugged it into a tremolo amplifier. A hollow-body electric guitar, used on six of the eight tunes, got fed through two amplifiers—one clean and one dirtied with tremolo, the dynamic contrasts paralleling Le Noise’s striking juxtapositions of intimacy and enormity, calm and turbulence.

Chords are augmented, magnified, echoed, stretched, thickened, stripped; arrangements unpredictably build, decay, and disintegrate, with some of the random pieces then reassembling into different shapes that collect like iron shavings on a moving magnet. Individual notes break off from parent structures, occasionally taking the form of jagged chards, other times doubling as the clink of a piano or stop of an organ. Riffs seem as if they’ve been filtered through a multitude of distortion devices, choral pedals, sustain gadgets, and delay boxes. An entrenched sense of melody and rhythm allows the songs to hold their shape, and Young’s singing is as clear, attentive, and passionate as it’s been in years. Straightforward and direct, the songwriting is equally superb.

...Reprise’s 180g LP possesses depth and width that defy limits. The louder the record is played, the more extraordinary Young and Lanois’ work becomes. The lifelike nature of the acoustic properties, myriad frequencies, and surreal tonalities is eclipsed only by the imaging. It often seems that Young—just as he’s pictured on the album’s cover—is that short of a distance away from the speakers.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
War Child

Here's a video of Neil Young playing the whole album:

[youtube]