Neil Young - Le Noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
reviews/reports of the September 28 album are starting to pop up. I can't wait for this album. I've been following the stories on it since I first heard of it through Lanois' facebook page

this is shaping up to be a bonafied classic. :hyper:

Neil Young’s ‘Le Noise’ is a whole lot of Lanois too — Buzzbands.LA

"No truth to the joke that “Lanois” isQuébécois for “crazier horse,” but the Canadian-born, L.A.-based producer — whose credits include U2, Bob Dylan, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel, Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson — has on this new album fashioned a massive, soundscapey netherworld for Young’s new songs. The vocals, steeped in reverb, seem poured out of pitcher; noises are looped and warped to frame the guitarist’s signature riffage; the songs are unblinking as ever, especially the biographical “Hitchhiker.” Amid a roar as powerful as Young has ever mustered, he takes a couplet by couplet look back on his own life, and the results are moving."

First Listen: Impressions of Neil Young's 'Le Noise' (upon hearing it at Daniel Lanois' house) | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times

What’s striking about “Le Noise” is the way it both summarizes and distills Young’s singular approach to music, predominantly just Neil and a guitar: his big, white hollow-body Gretsch electric slashing and burning for most of the tracks, a couple built around picked and strummed acoustic instruments. Both are recorded and amplified -- literally and metaphorically -- by Lanois’ signature soundscapes that loop vocals, and enhance the guitars’ bass notes through distortion boxes, synthesizers and other electronics.

Neil-Young-Le-Noise-Album-Art.jpg

:drool:

:hyper:! This gives me an excuse to listen to something other than Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, On The Beach, etc...Young has completely dominated my music listening over the past couple of years.

Here's hoping that Lanois duplicated the Time Out Of Mind/Wrecking Ball magic. And that, you know, he's healing up alright. :)

:hyper:! This gives me an excuse to listen to something other than Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, On The Beach, etc...Young has just dominated my music listening over the past couple of years.

Here's hoping that Lanois duplicated the Time Out Of Mind/Wrecking Ball magic.

fingers crossed.. Neil hasn't put out a consistently great album in years

this is his first true solo record.. which is interesting too

The only Young album from the last 10 years that I really dug was the "lost" album Chrome Dreams 2. It's not like he's been doing mostly crap, just nothing very exciting.

But I have a lot of faith in the studio magic of Fanny Patois. He has produced my favorite Shuttlecock, Peter Gabriel (Us), and Dylan (Oh Mercy) albums.

new video for "Angry World"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uDwvJK0YdI

a couple of other new songs, the acoustic Love and War, and the opener "Walk with Me" have leaked online as well, and can be found here:

103.7 The Mountain ? Harvest This!

what do y'all think? the sonics are great ear candy.. I'm definitely excited.. and if the songs all stand up to the sound, we're in for a treat.

It's pretty cool. I'm really disappointed by the lack of any sort of rhythm section, but that's just a stylistic choice that I will have to get used to. The songs are good, and the instrumentation is fascinating.

This will likely remain a curiosity rather than a renaissance for Neil, but it definitely does signal the return of that awesome Hey Hey, My My guitar tone. Moar of that in the future, please.

solid review. this one's for the audiophiles!

Le Noise review – Music Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

...How Lanois got such terrific sounds, and what he did with the guitar, is part of the genius. He initially outfitted an acoustic model with a pickup that imitates the human voice and loops it through the song, manipulated the two low strings to give them heavier bass presence, and plugged it into a tremolo amplifier. A hollow-body electric guitar, used on six of the eight tunes, got fed through two amplifiers—one clean and one dirtied with tremolo, the dynamic contrasts paralleling Le Noise’s striking juxtapositions of intimacy and enormity, calm and turbulence.

Chords are augmented, magnified, echoed, stretched, thickened, stripped; arrangements unpredictably build, decay, and disintegrate, with some of the random pieces then reassembling into different shapes that collect like iron shavings on a moving magnet. Individual notes break off from parent structures, occasionally taking the form of jagged chards, other times doubling as the clink of a piano or stop of an organ. Riffs seem as if they’ve been filtered through a multitude of distortion devices, choral pedals, sustain gadgets, and delay boxes. An entrenched sense of melody and rhythm allows the songs to hold their shape, and Young’s singing is as clear, attentive, and passionate as it’s been in years. Straightforward and direct, the songwriting is equally superb.

...Reprise’s 180g LP possesses depth and width that defy limits. The louder the record is played, the more extraordinary Young and Lanois’ work becomes. The lifelike nature of the acoustic properties, myriad frequencies, and surreal tonalities is eclipsed only by the imaging. It often seems that Young—just as he’s pictured on the album’s cover—is that short of a distance away from the speakers.

They should have called this album Le Sigh.

I'm about 1/10 as interested now.

It sounds like the classic albums, minus the ragged Crazy Horse rhythm section (part of why I consider them the ideal backing band). I would recommend it, but that's kind of a major caveat, I realize. With some sort of driving element to the music, this would be in my top 5 for the year, easy.

a262e2dbb1984bbda7c977367b1ed717

Neil Young's 1973 album Time Fades Away is now officially available in a digital format for the first time. This was just reissued on vinyl for Black Friday Record Store Day, and is now available in 24/192 FLAC from Neil's own PonoMusic Store. Unfortunately, the store is still in beta and only available right now to folks who bought the Pono Player through Kickstarter. There are no plans for a CD release that I know of.

There was a promo CD pressed in 1995 but plans for a commercial release were reportedly scrapped at Neil's insistence. Bootleg copies of the promo CD have been making the rounds ever since.

I highly recommend checking this album out one way or another. Don't Be Denied is a Neil Young classic IMHO. The Pono Store should be out of beta soon enough.

PonoMusic | Store

Back
Top Bottom