Neil Young in Studio with Daniel Lanois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and if anybody can figure out how to post the link to the damn story. I can't figure out this newfangled technology.

EDIT: nm, see original post!

Good news.

Young is prolific, but hasn't hit one out of the park in quite some time. Lanois could be the glue and inspiration he needs.

Neil Young doesn't need Lanois to make an album as bitter as Time Out Of Mind, but neither did Bob Dylan, I suppose. The atmosphere of that album is what Young needs, and Lanois is pretty adept at supplying that sound to musicians who had long lost their mystique. Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball at 48, Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind at 56, Willie Nelson's Teatro at 65 and, of course, breathing life into U2 time and time again.

Yes, I'm pumped for this.

For the record, there was more distinct atmosphere on the Lanois-produced Oh Mercy, and the period before that was seen as a longer one of futility than the one before Time Out of Mind, where he had released two very critically-acclaimed acoustic covers albums (Good As I Been to You in '92, World Gone Wrong in '93), plus his subsequent success with the Woodstock and MTV Unplugged appearances and a return to form in the live show department.

Time Out of Mind was the feather in the cap and a creative comeback in terms of writing, but he had already recaptured the troubador mystique a few years earlier by then.

I thought Under The Red Sky put a damper on that a bit. Then again, it's one album, maybe I'm being too harsh on him.

If you look at Dylan's output in the 80's before Oh Mercy, it was pretty mediocre between 1983's Infidels and Oh Mercy. That's six years. I would hesitate to call any of the albums "good": Empire Burlesque, Knocked Out Loaded, Down In The Groove are all middling at best, each with only a couple standout tracks. He had a pretty bad live rep at the time as well. After the reception to Oh Mercy, he was definitely viewed as in a comeback mode. Under the Red Sky, to be honest, isn't that bad by comparison to those mid 80's efforts from a songwriting perspective (and a few songs were high-quality leftovers from the Oh Mercy sessions), but Don Was as producer was a big mistake, and clipped Dylan's momentum.

Ultimately, I think it was Boner's appreciation of Dylan's recent writing and his recommendation of Lanois that saved Dylan's career, despite the slight detour of UTRS. Had Dylan stuck with Lanois after Oh Mercy I think the 90's would have shown a much more natural evolution, even if UTRS wasn't destined to be as good as its bookending originals albums.

If you look at Dylan's output in the 80's before Oh Mercy, it was pretty mediocre between 1983's Infidels and Oh Mercy. That's six years. I would hesitate to call any of the albums "good": Empire Burlesque, Knocked Out Loaded, Down In The Groove are all middling at best, each with only a couple standout tracks. He had a pretty bad live rep at the time as well. After the reception to Oh Mercy, he was definitely viewed as in a comeback mode. Under the Red Sky, to be honest, isn't that bad by comparison to those mid 80's efforts from a songwriting perspective (and a few songs were high-quality leftovers from the Oh Mercy sessions), but Don Was as producer was a big mistake, and clipped Dylan's momentum.

Ultimately, I think it was Boner's appreciation of Dylan's recent writing and his recommendation of Lanois that saved Dylan's career, despite the slight detour of UTRS. Had Dylan stuck with Lanois after Oh Mercy I think the 90's would have shown a much more natural evolution, even if UTRS wasn't destined to be as good as its bookending originals albums.

It was also mentioned on Gibson Guitars site:

Neil Young Working with Daniel Lanois

Back
Top Bottom