My vote for single of the year 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
My vote for single of the year 2008 goes to Girls Aloud's 'the Promise'.

YouTube - Girls Aloud - The Promise [TOTP Christmas Special - 25.12.2008]

Here is where we are in 2008:

Your average 'authentic' garage rock combo (step up, Coldplay, The Killers, etc) is in reality equally as manufactured, as full of artifice, as your average pop idol type band, so that bands like Girls Aloud are both more honest (in that they do not claim to be anything other than manufactured), and at least in this case, more capable of producing quality pop music.

Also, I honestly didn't hear a better pop single last year.

I know this one guy here that'll be pretty happy with that choice.

I think Electric Feel was the single of the year, though. Man, that's a good little attractive-to-the-mainstream-but-still-appealing-to-a-somewhat-indie-crowd song.

:huh:

I don't think so.

I've heard of Girls Aloud, but I've never heard anything by them. Trying to give them a fair shake, I watched that video. They aren't even very good singers. Yikes. No way I would say that was the best single of 08. Sorry, just giving my honest opinion. If you like them and that song, more power to you.

Good call, Finance Guy. Super hot track from the Aloud. It was a very successful single, too. In the UK at least. And it couldn't have happened to a sweeter, more hard-working group of girls. I'm proud of 'em.

I think the song is pretty alright, but I thought the girls would be a little more attractive. Straight and all, but none of them really stood out in that department.

I've heard of Girls Aloud, but I've never heard anything by them.

Same here, except for one little album intro bit that GAF put on his Desert Island list but that doesn't count.

But anyway I watched the video. Not bad. I don't know if it's single of the year but I didn't mind the song. Next thought was... OMG LIGHT CURTAIN AND CONFETTI!!!!111 IS BONO OKAY WITH THAT??? :sad:

I know this one guy here that'll be pretty happy with that choice.

I think Electric Feel was the single of the year, though. Man, that's a good little attractive-to-the-mainstream-but-still-appealing-to-a-somewhat-indie-crowd song.

See, I thought MGMT's Kids captured people's imagination a wee bit more....

Coldplay's Lost!

or

T.I. & Rihanna's Live Your Life

or

The Verve's Love Is Noise

All 3 songs are cracking......

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire

That one was the Song Of The Year here in the Netherlands (as voted by a slightly alternative radio station).

My top 5 picks were (in alphabetical order):
Adele - Chasing Pavements
YouTube - Adele - Chasing Pavements
(also an excellent video)

Coldplay - Viva La Vida
YouTube - Coldplay - Viva La Vida alternative video version (Made in The Hague/Netherlands)
(the Dutch version by Anton Corbijn. And yes, it's a remake of one of his earlier vids)

Duffy - Mercy
YouTube - Duffy - Mercy - Official Music Video
(more sparkling than the US version. Warwick Avenue is also amazing, BTW)

GEM - She Said Oh Oh Oh, I Said Yeah Yeah Yeah
YouTube - GEM She said oh oh oh I said yeah yeah yeah
(excellent song by this Dutch band, though not one of the best videos)

Voicst - Everyday I Work On The Road
YouTube - VOICST - LIVE @ NOORDERSLAG - EVERYDAY I WORK ON THE ROAD
(a live video because I love the horns as used live)

Well, I'm too lazy to post a link to YouTube
My top 5:
#1) Chinese Democracy - Guns N' Roses
#2) One Day Like This - Elbow
#3) The Shock of the Lightning - Oasis
#4) Hollow Man - R.E.M.
#5) Viva La Vida - Coldplay

HM: Love Is Noise - The Verve; Off with Their Heads - Kaiser Chiefs; Rock N Roll Train - AC/DC; Can't Go Back - Primal Scream

For the Australians here - bet you $100 (each) the Hottest 100 # 1 this year is Kings of Leon.

It'll be Sex On Fire. Mind you I was 100% convinced that Straight Lines would have snared Number One in '07 and it didn't.

Hope that Use Somebody song doesn't do well. Cringeworthy tune.

Josh Pyke needs to be up there.

Good call, Finance Guy. Super hot track from the Aloud. It was a very successful single, too. In the UK at least. And it couldn't have happened to a sweeter, more hard-working group of girls. I'm proud of 'em.

i'm sorry, i think this song is fine and all, and they're not half bad either... but anyone who's dumb enough to marry ashley cole should not be classified as sweet, but stupid.

good choice for single, and i agree with your sentiments regarding coldplay, the killers, etc.

worst single of the year: viva la vida. holy shit does that song get on my nerves. i never hated coldplay until i heard this song... and then i heard it again... and again... and again.

my favourite singles/songs:

verve - love is noise
YouTube - The Verve - Love Is Noise
the ting tings - that's not my name
YouTube - The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name (Live)
kano - feel free (yeah i know it was released in 07, but it made its impact in 08)
YouTube - Feel Free - Official Music Video
portishead - the rip
YouTube - Portishead - The Rip
noah and the whale - five years time
YouTube - Noah and the Whale - 5 Years Time - Official
monkey - journey to the west - the living sea (not an official single but still...)
YouTube - The Living Sea - Monkey Journey To The West

i'm probably missing some of them, but all in all it wasn't a memorable year in terms of music for my tastes. there were no "lloyd, i'm ready to be heartbroken", "you are the generation who bought more shoes and you get what you deserve", or "paper planes" this year.

I love Girls Aloud, but this song hasn't grown on me yet.

Me too. I find that a lot of their songs take a long time before you really appreciate them. I couldn't stand Sound Of The Underground, Something Kinda Oooh, Sexy No No or Call The Shots when they were in the charts, but eventually I've got to love them. And I agree what Finance Guy said about them being one of the most honest groups out there in many ways.

As for my favorite song of 2008, I did write a list of songs that would be in my top 20 (yes I do lead a very sad life) but I honestly thought last year was crap in terms of music so I'm hoping this year will be better. I liked Sex, Blood and Fire by Kings Of Leon, Spirraling (Keane), Viva La Vida and Brocken Strings (James Morrison and Nelly Furtado).

Without doubt it is

YouTube - The Shock Of The Lightning

Best band in the world
Kept it real since the start
No nonsense, no frills just straight up Rock n Roll
You either get them or you dont. I'm 100% glad i do!

Noel is GOD

agreed. what a great album.

Coldplay is like the Kanye West of rock: they make decent songs, but they try way too hard, and arrogance and douchebagerry run rampant.

had The Killers released Spaceman as a single, however, it would be the best song of 08, hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5m-zdLALfw

Here is where we are in 2008:

Your average 'authentic' garage rock combo (step up, Coldplay, The Killers, etc) is in reality equally as manufactured, as full of artifice, as your average pop idol type band, so that bands like Girls Aloud are both more honest (in that they do not claim to be anything other than manufactured), and at least in this case, more capable of producing quality pop music.

Also, I honestly didn't hear a better pop single last year.

how have The Killers, or Coldplay for that matter, claimed to not be "manufactured"? i don't understand what "full of artifice means." and, even if The Killers (or Coldplay) are as "manufactured" as Girls Aloud, comparing their music is incomprehensible. do Girls Aloud write their own songs? probably not. do they record the music for their songs? definitely not. are any of their songs about something other than the basic-pop-music-boy-girl-bullshit? no. i like a few Girls Aloud songs, but comparing them to rock n' roll bands with any substance, such as The Killers (or Coldplay even) is ludicrous.

Arrogant and douchebags? That sounds more like Oasis than Coldplay to me.

you ever seen Viva la Vida performed live? what a joke. a complete and total joke, but then again, so is every single one of Chris Martin's stage antics. Oasis talk big and may seem like assholes, but live, it's just rock n' roll, plain and simple. no stupid dancing around, no gimmicks, nothing. because they don't need it. the dissapointing thing is, Coldplay doesn't need it either, and why they go about prancing around as they do is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom