My top ten picks for the JJJ hottest 100 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #46
45:33

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Heard this track on the Js the other day... really enjoyed it in the car, not quite as much now I'm listening to it again, but hey, I liked a song by an Unearthed band so cool! Molasses & Sabbath - Siamese Almeida - YouTube

Old 01-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Breaking: First Like A Version of 2014 To Be Matt Bloody Corby Covering Riptide

Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 AM   #48

At least he's a better singer than Vance Joy.

Now excuse me while I go and put my head in a preheated oven.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Or maybe Three Sixty 'covering' Riptide.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

They're always wanting to know what we're doing, 'text us!'

One of these days (I'd have get hold of a mobile phone first), I'm going to text them that I'm chopping up some bodies in my basement and the tunes are really keeping me pumping, go the jays.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hahaha do it!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I might. Then again, given the recent fate of the Hells Angels, I might not.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #53
Vocal parasite

Don't worry, you'll be fine as long as you're not meeting other men for ice cream.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That's a fair point.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/features/...ccountable.htm

JJJ are copping quite a bit of flak after a recent report suggested that some artists were changing their sound so that they'd have more chance of getting airplay on the station.

Artists like Whitely, Kingswood and The Basics have been quite scathing in their criticism, as has Melbourne rock venue Cherry Bar.

But I side more with JJJ than I do with Cherry Bar here, which just seems to be a collective of rockists (or more specifically Oz Pub rockists) lamenting the fact that their genre of music is not getting much JJJ airplay.

And why should it, there is not much diversity to oz pub rock, and JJJ are admirably not narrowly limited to playing or preferring songs of any particular genre (as the commerical stations are and some music venues).
Old 01-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #56
Vocal parasite

That article by the Cherry Bar guy is appalling. The stuff he wants played on Triple J is almost offensively bad in how out-of-date and derivative it is. No wonder it doesn't get any play; it's just guys with guitars and penile inferiority complexes who are trying to recreate their dad's vinyl collection. As soon as you mention Airbourne without being derisive, you've lost an argument.

Triple J's obviously not perfect and there's a reason why I don't exactly tune into it, but a whole lot of this debate is blown out of proportion. It's no use saying "wah wah this popular hit from the nineties wouldn't get any play now" because tastes have evolved. You could do the reverse and say "wow this popular hit from 2013 would never have got airplay in the nineties". Practically every artist actively seeking a larger audience will - consciously or not - modify their sound to some degree to appeal to people anyway. Hell, they'll be influenced by the same sounds that are shaping their audience and it'll generally be a natural evolution. I don't know why this is such a big deal.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't know what Kingswood are complaining about, they get played. They bloody well shouldn't, but they do.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #58

Airbourne fucking suck, yeah. There is literally nothing remotely new or interesting about their sound.

I think this sums it up well.

Having said that though, I think there's a lot of bands out there that will try to seek a sound that gets them more airplay. But it's not limited to Triple J. Take Birds of Tokyo... weren't they a heavier band a few years ago? Now their piece of shit song Lanterns was the most played thing on Aussie radio all year.

When did it go from "selling out" or being smart from a music business sense to being a fundamental Australian music flaw?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
That article by the Cherry Bar guy is appalling. The stuff he wants played on Triple J is almost offensively bad in how out-of-date and derivative it is. No wonder it doesn't get any play; it's just guys with guitars and penile inferiority complexes who are trying to recreate their dad's vinyl collection. As soon as you mention Airbourne without being derisive, you've lost an argument.

Triple J's obviously not perfect and there's a reason why I don't exactly tune into it, but a whole lot of this debate is blown out of proportion. It's no use saying "wah wah this popular hit from the nineties wouldn't get any play now" because tastes have evolved. You could do the reverse and say "wow this popular hit from 2013 would never have got airplay in the nineties". Practically every artist actively seeking a larger audience will - consciously or not - modify their sound to some degree to appeal to people anyway. Hell, they'll be influenced by the same sounds that are shaping their audience and it'll generally be a natural evolution. I don't know why this is such a big deal.

Spot on.

And I highly doubt that the pub-rock advocates of Airborne and Kingswood would listen to RRR and PBS.

Probably just get spoonfed about what "real" music is by MMM, learn a few power chords, and claim to be artists when they rip off Back in Black.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #60

Seriously. They might as well call themselves an AC/DC cover band.

Still, I think the Cherry Bar gets a pass mark for life by not letting Gaga play there.