My top ten picks for the JJJ hottest 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can we ban that Like a Version shit from contention?

Seriously, who the hell thinks something from Like a Version is in their top ten of any given year anyway?

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone got on Like A Version and did, I dunno, a doom metal version of some Vance Joy song? Riptide, slowed way down, with lots of guttural growling from the pit of the abyss where it belongs.

Had to chuckle a little at a Coldplay song in that list, as, whatever else Triple J do at present, playing Coldplay songs isn't it.

Three year olds with beards and disgust towards the mass appeal of The Wiggles, probably.

Has any band, any 'popular' band, let me correct that, ever slid into oblivion more rapidly (and deservedly) than Powderfinger?

I mean seriously: in their active days they were held up as some sort of 'great Australian band'. They had a career for about fifteen years, and probably could have kept going if they'd chosen. Triple J championed them. They played concerts with Silverchair. They tilted vaguely at being political, but not enough to really piss anyone off. They tilted a little at singer-songwriter confessional, but not enough to be interesting. The masses loved them.

There is an object lesson here for the Foo Fighters - America's Powderfinger - if and when they ever retire: the minute you turn out the lights, you'll be forgotten. When was the last time you heard a Powderfinger song on Triple J, or anywhere really?

I don't know about that, I'm sure that those stupid compilations like Great Aussie Summer Rock Songz, Genuine Rock 4 Dad, Classic Aussie Roadtrip Singalongs, and Stupid Music for Stupid People Who Buy Stupid Bargain Bin Releases all probably have "My Happiness" on them.

(I write that with no particular animus for Powderfinger. I'm largely indifferent to them, in a more positive than negative way.)

The band just didn't have an "X-Factor" (for lack of a better term) within it, no particularly interesting band member (in fact, they all more or less looked somewhat similar). Simply put, they had nobody you'd really want to be, and aside from a few decent songs nothing they wrote really ever challenged me. I would not pick up a guitar as a result of listening to their music.

Though, in all fairness, they still managed 3 songs in that JJJ top 100 of the last 20 years or so poll.

I still hear My Happiness, These Days and Sunsets pretty often. Definitely more of a Triple M band than a Js band now though. I don't know if that U2 story is true about Edge calling them bland or whatever but I hope it is cos it's such a funny concept.

My opinion of them is the same as Ax's, however, I do honestly think this is a great song, I love the chorus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ycynsE9SI

Love this line though Kieran - "They tilted vaguely at being political, but not enough to really piss anyone off. They tilted a little at singer-songwriter confessional, but not enough to be interesting." That's so good. and so true.

Love this line though Kieran - "They tilted vaguely at being political, but not enough to really piss anyone off. They tilted a little at singer-songwriter confessional, but not enough to be interesting." That's so good. and so true.

I shouldn't come off like I utterly hate them though. There are/were probably five or six songs between the late nineties and the early naughties (when they really started to bland out) that I quite like. 'The Day You Come' is pretty good. It's just, there was no there, there. And I don't say this as someone who wants or demands bands to have wacky backstories (I mean come on, the National are basically just a bunch of guys who formed a band. That's it, that's their backstory. And they're great).

I don't know about that, I'm sure that those stupid compilations like Great Aussie Summer Rock Songz, Genuine Rock 4 Dad, Classic Aussie Roadtrip Singalongs, and Stupid Music for Stupid People Who Buy Stupid Bargain Bin Releases all probably have "My Happiness" on them.

(I write that with no particular animus for Powderfinger. I'm largely indifferent to them, in a more positive than negative way.)

"Not Such A Beautiful Day" (or whatever it's called) is definitely on the next Music For Hilux Blokes compilation.

Back
Top Bottom