My Morning Jacket 6-10-08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should have put a wink after my sad face so everyone knew I wasn't really sad about it ... lest anyone think I was fishing for compliments. :shifty:

But thank you. :)

And for those that haven't been following, the irony is that I'm actually older than Cori; I just like to beat jokes into the ground.

:lancesmom:

4.7 on Pitchfork.

This might be the most laughably off-base review from the Fork yet.

Fuck them. Fuck them in their stupid asses.

Dave Matthews Band and Starbucks??

But you know what, they already had the knives out in the review for Z.

I just can't believe they rated this lower than Sky Blue Sky.

Gosh, I can't wait to hear what they have to say when the Sonic Youth hits collection comes out ... and is being sold exclusively by Starbucks. ha!

Or maybe they got their frothing-at-the-mouth bitter ranting out already, when the release was announced.

IMO this record isn't a patch on the brilliant Z, but I've got to say that Pfork was completely wrong on this one. Thankfully, every other review I've read has been positive.

Pitchfork sucks.

That is all.

Definitely. :up:

And fuck decimal ratings. I hope when you guys post personal ratings like that on here, they're merely in jest. Otherwise, you're a jackknob.

And if the Panda Bear album is anything lower than an 8.6, you're a philistine.

I'm going to join you guys and echo the sentiment that the Fork giving this album a 4.7 is a HUGE, steaming pile of bullshit.

While I agree that they pick favorites far too much lately, and give backlash to any of the groups they help "get big", this album is admittedly getting extremely mixed reviews from all over. Popmatters, who generally seem to give reviews I agree with much more than PF, gave it essentially the same score 5/10.
My Morning Jacket: Evil Urges - PopMatters Music Review

In the hands of another band, Evil Urges might border on unlistenable. But it is hard to completely dismiss the album if only for how much fun the band seems to be having. The production is full of missteps—big ones—but you at least get the feeling those missteps are done in search of their own vision, and not in service of a market niche or target demographic. And there are a couple of small moments here that remind us My Morning Jacket can still knock it out of the park. But Evil Urges sounds like an album that falls short of its mark, committing the whole to a sound that ultimately weakens and breaks down its parts. Many of these tracks will probably translate well on stage with the band free of all this studio polish—some are already solid additions to their live arsenal—but on the album they sound deflated. The future may be now for My Morning Jacket, but their past sounded so much better.

On the other hand, some sites are giving it fairly decent reviews - 4/5 stars from both Allmusic and Tiny Mix Tapes (who usually rapes any and everything remotely "popular"). But as Popmatters mentioned above, and as we as U2 fans are fully aware of, it's easier to give a band you like more slack when they release a mediocre album.

Weren't our personal ratings in that one thread ZC or IO way back when comprised of decimals?

Don't be a hippo-crit, YLB. That was a grand thread.

Conan? I might tune in, SNL was one thing but it'll certainly not befit their style to cram a performance into the time given musical guests on late night shows...or the atmosphere.

Weren't our personal ratings in that one thread ZC or IO way back when comprised of decimals?

Don't be a hippo-crit, YLB. That was a grand thread.

Which thread was that again?

I'm just referring to decimals in professional reviews, of course.

Aw, fuck you Bernie Mac. That's why I love Kanye's Graduation, he's nowhere to be seen. Evil Urges is my favorite album of the year so far.

Hay gaiz, Im highly suspicious of u!11!!!11!
lololololololololololololol

Conan tonight. Respect.

Back
Top Bottom