My Morning Jacket - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #61
The Fly

Local Time: 04:40 PM
A friend had "It Still Moves" in his car and I was hooked - so many good songs on there, and it's a kickass album to listen to while driving. This thread's inspired me to check out more of their stuff.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:40 PM
MMJ were one of the few opening acts I've seen that I hooked me on music I hadn't heard before. They opened for Pearl Jam in 2006, I knew about them before that, but seeing them play blew me away and I've been following them ever since.

Also, can I say how "Holdin' On to Black Metal" is a fucking awesome driving song.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh also, the vocals in Outta My System always make me think of The Beach Boys.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Just caught the last hour or so of their Storytellers performance on Palladia and definitely enjoyed it. James isn't the most charismatic speaker, but I liked a lot of what he had to say. He was fighting back tears as he talked about the inspiration for "Dondante," talked shit about teenagers and their cell phones, and taught me that the Beastie Boys' song "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" was the inspiration for "One Big Holiday." Which is cool. He's really just a big softie.

I'm always impressed with how smoothly they can transition from a quiet, fragile, singer-songwritery acoustic ballad into a rock-the-fuck-out banger. They bounce back and forth between those two styles as well as anybody. The couple of songs off the new album that they played sounded good, too. I need to give the album more listens.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #65
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Just finished up Circuital and after one go I am quite definitely in love. Maybe not so much with the last couple songs, but definitely with the majority, and especially with the first five tracks. Dear God, is that title track something else.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 PM
So I don't know why it took me so long to get around to this - probably because I'm not the biggest fan of Evil Urges - but I'm loving it so far.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #67
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Been away from these boards a long, long time. Just wanted to share some MMJ love from the Beale Street Music Festival Friday night:

Full moon rising, mild Mississippi breezes caressing the dancers on the lawn—this is a perfect night, recovering from an unseemly hot day.

After opening with “Circuital,” the setlist dipped into B-sides and back catalog. Whatever the song choices, Yim Yames could sing to me on any Friday night. The soaring greatness of Carl’s guitar part and the sheer emotions of Yim’s vocals on “Gideon” never fail to destroy me. The outta this world “Outta My System” is one of my clean & sober theme songs (just celebrated three years!), so it’s always great to hear that in a set. On “Wordless Chorus” and “Touch Me,” his freaky falsetto yummy yelps give me chills no matter how warm it is. An always brain-and-body-bending “Off the Record” riffs into our reggae-soaked “Phone Went West,” soulfully slinked to perfection.

Quite simply, My Morning Jacket have become (or perhaps they always were) a quintessential classic rock band in the deeper sense that teenage boys dream about. Yim Yames is a warm-hearted light-worker, sending furry beams of fuzzy love across galaxies of realities in need of repair & revival. I am honored to have traveled to the sonic sanctuary that he & his mates have created on so many occasions.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #68
Blue Crack Distributor

This is not album news, I'm sorry for a bump. Please don't yell at me.

But I saw these guys live tonight. And I am in love with Jim James. I would like to share my pictures with you.

Jim James is a giant man-beast of adorable. He's like a giant saxophone/guitar playing bear. Which, by the way, wtf is with the bears all over the stage?

With Wilco:

Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu View Post
Been away from these boards a long, long time. Just wanted to share some MMJ love from the Beale Street Music Festival Friday night:

Full moon rising, mild Mississippi breezes caressing the dancers on the lawn—this is a perfect night, recovering from an unseemly hot day.

After opening with “Circuital,” the setlist dipped into B-sides and back catalog. Whatever the song choices, Yim Yames could sing to me on any Friday night. The soaring greatness of Carl’s guitar part and the sheer emotions of Yim’s vocals on “Gideon” never fail to destroy me. The outta this world “Outta My System” is one of my clean & sober theme songs (just celebrated three years!), so it’s always great to hear that in a set. On “Wordless Chorus” and “Touch Me,” his freaky falsetto yummy yelps give me chills no matter how warm it is. An always brain-and-body-bending “Off the Record” riffs into our reggae-soaked “Phone Went West,” soulfully slinked to perfection.

Quite simply, My Morning Jacket have become (or perhaps they always were) a quintessential classic rock band in the deeper sense that teenage boys dream about. Yim Yames is a warm-hearted light-worker, sending furry beams of fuzzy love across galaxies of realities in need of repair & revival. I am honored to have traveled to the sonic sanctuary that he & his mates have created on so many occasions.
This is old, but I had to quote this so people could marvel at how AMAZING this write up is.

"Yim Yames is a warm-hearted light-worker, sending furry beams of fuzzy love across galaxies of realities in need of repair & revival. I am honored to have traveled to the sonic sanctuary that he & his mates have created on so many occasions."

LOL, give me a fucking break.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #70
The Male

Damn that is old, he was still calling himself Yim Yames.

Anyway, I lol'd.

And great show. Lots of bears, yeah. Write up over.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #71
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This is old, but I had to quote this so people could marvel at how AMAZING this write up is.

"Yim Yames is a warm-hearted light-worker, sending furry beams of fuzzy love across galaxies of realities in need of repair & revival. I am honored to have traveled to the sonic sanctuary that he & his mates have created on so many occasions."

LOL, give me a fucking break.
He loves his alliteration more than any bad reviewer in the history of bad reviews. Cringe-worthy stuff. I think I once wrote a fake review as if I was him, not sure if I ever posted it or not.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

How does one write something like that and not make themselves puke all over their keyboard? Just reading it made me nauseous.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #73
The Male

I think referring to Outta My System as "outta this world" was the low point, personally.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #74
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:40 PM

I'm unsure of what is happening here. Is Jim James a mystical wizard?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

A roadie put that cloak on him, HELLA James Brown style. It was excellent. Then he was wearing an electrical instrument around his neck, so he looked like the most jank Darth Vader of all time.

Plus, saxophone.