My Morning Jacket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again, psychedelic aspects and the occasional vocal part, other than that there really is no connection. As for a starting point :shrug:, I started with Z and have been hooked since.

Definitely sounds like a deep cut, but very pretty and ambitious. This is what I like to hear from MMJ. Sorry, Evil Urges apologists.

Also, Z is the starting point for most people, and for good reason. Masterpiece.

Really, really like both of the tracks we've heard from this thing.

I have a great feeling about this album.

The title track really hit me for the first time earlier today as I gave it a closer, more focused listen.

Also, if anybody is a fan of both MMJ and True Blood, you can get a kick out of it when Jim James screams "CIRCUITS!" because it totally sounds like he's saying "SOOKIE!" in Vampire Bill voice. Awesome.

My Morning Jacket will be joining forces with director Todd Haynes for a one-of-a-kind
live concert streaming event. Haynes will film the band’s sold out performance at
Louisville’s historic Palace Theater as part of American Express' "Unstaged" series.

Catch the event here on the band's VEVO page on YouTube:

YouTube - MyMorningJacketVEVO's Channel

as it happens live at 9:00pm EST on Tuesday, May 31st.

So I've heard essentially nothing about this album. Strangely, I've heard far more about the new Death Cab album than this. Should I buy it later today, or not? I haven't really liked any of the songs I've heard from it so far, but sometimes songs are much better in context of the album. I was one of the few who actually really liked Evil Urges, fyi.

I think it's a really nice record, and am similarly surprised that no one is really talking about it. The lead single is that damn Holdin' On To Black Metal song, which they play constantly on the local indie station. It's pretty fluffy compared to much of what's here. In general, I think this album is a nice mixture of the catchy melodies of Z and the more sprawling arrangements of It Still Moves. The more taut numbers are generally refreshing and enjoyable too, Black Metal aside. It's a good album, definitely worth owning, although there are no tracks that forward the Evil Urges sound, which I'm happy with but you may not be.

The Day Is Coming is my favorite track right now, with Victory Dance right up there as well.

Thanks, I'll probably pick it up with Death Cab tonight. I didn't really think they sounded much different on Evil Urges than prior albums for the most part. Yeah, there were some wacky songs, but whatevs.

My Morning Jacket will be joining forces with director Todd Haynes for a one-of-a-kind
live concert streaming event. Haynes will film the band’s sold out performance at
Louisville’s historic Palace Theater as part of American Express' "Unstaged" series.

Catch the event here on the band's VEVO page on YouTube:

YouTube - MyMorningJacketVEVO's Channel

as it happens live at 9:00pm EST on Tuesday, May 31st.

This is tonight, y'all.

I'm probably going to tune in.

although there are no tracks that forward the Evil Urges sound

I didn't really think they sounded much different on Evil Urges than prior albums for the most part. Yeah, there were some wacky songs, but whatevs.

Thank you. There are more "normal" MMJ songs on Evil Urges than odd ones, and to describe it as having some other kind of general sound is totally reductive, as if most of it sounds like Highly Suspicious. In my mind, 75% of it wouldn't sound out of place on either of the two albums preceding it.

You completely ignore the "taut" (your word), beautiful ballads on there (which trump their Circuital counterparts), as well as the "sprawling arrangements" (yours, again) of something classic MMJ like Smoking From Shooting.

I think the second line covers that.

Listened to it three times already. Very good, but I might like Evil Urges just a tad better.

And I like both a little more than Z.

lazarus said:
Oh the irony, considering this sounds more than a little reminisced of something on Evil Urges.

Not to me. :shrug:

Perhaps I entirely misremembered the sound of that record, but I dislike it to the extent that I have no desire to revisit it. My loss. I'm not as familiar with the pre-Z material as I should be, so I'll head in that direction next.

Wish their concert stream wouldn't have been during the game last night.

This album is good, but not quite as good as Z. I'd put it on par with It Still Moves, which is below Z but above Evil Urges. And these are the only 4 I've heard.

It mystifies me how anyone can think Z is better than It Still Moves or At Dawn. I heard all their albums chronologically as they came out (save for Tennessee Fire), don't know if that affects one's perception.

Not to me. :shrug:

Perhaps I entirely misremembered the sound of that record, but I dislike it to the extent that I have no desire to revisit it. My loss. I'm not as familiar with the pre-Z material as I should be, so I'll head in that direction next.

Yeah, you have. The Day is Coming reminds me of this:

YouTube - ‪My Morning Jacket - From The Basement - Touch Me, I'm Going To Scream (pt.1) [live]‬‏

And it is definitely your loss if you've no interest in hearing these again:

YouTube - ‪my morning jacket - Smokin from Shootin - Evil Urges‬‏

YouTube - ‪my morning jacket - Thank You Too! - Evil Urges‬‏

lazarus said:
It mystifies me how anyone can think Z is better than It Still Moves or At Dawn. I heard all their albums chronologically as they came out (save for Tennessee Fire), don't know if that affects one's perception.

I think the songs on Z are excellent, and that's really about it. Good pop album. It's not as rich production-wise as its predecessor, but quite varied in content.

I remember one of my major issues with Evil Urges now: James, who formerly possessed one of my favorite voices, very full and rich, almost entirely abandoned his lower register on that album. His voice is at its best on It Still Moves IMO.

I think Z distilled their different ambitions and influences into a strong cohesive record, their earlier albums were too sprawling in my opinion. Haters be damned I loved Evil Urges, it's batshit crazy and succeeds in adding a new twist on their sound, at the moment it's still my favorite of theirs. I've only given Circuital one proper listen thus far, but I dug it a lot, there weren't a ton of moments where I was struck by something new, but I loved the flow of everything and the live production fits them so much better than the sheen on Evil Urges and so few bands do that now that I appreciate it even more.

I will always despise that song for using a Haitian proverb to talk about suburbia.

I don't think they've made a cohesive album since It Still Moves, to be honest. They're a better live band than they are a studio band anyway, so I take whatever I can from the albums. Another Okonokos will eventually come around and we'll have the definitive versions.

My problem with It Still Moves is that it's so damn long. I rarely ever sit down and listen to the whole thing. Which generally means I make it to about the 7th song and then life happens. Although I only listened to Evil Urges once, I know I felt the same way about its overlength, but I also didn't particularly care for the changes to James' vocals (as LM stated).

Back
Top Bottom