My Bloody Valentine vs. Chicago: Tinnitus FTW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If you shout...

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So, I am in the States and I am finally going to see My Bloody Valentine, on Saturday night, at the good ol' Aragon Ballroom. You can all suck my dick and, more than likely, will want to, as I will very shortly be one of the coolest motherfuckers in the world. I'm looking forward to what should be a fantastic show--it's been a while since I've been so amped up about a show, and it's nice to remember what this feels like! PopMart was a long time ago...

However/Anyway, I am NOT looking to be one of the deafest motherfuckers in the world, coolness aside, once the show wraps, so I'm asking around to see if anybody who's been to an indoor reunion gig can offer me some advice. I will of course not know until the show begins whether or not I'll need earplugs for the whole thing, so my real question is for anybody who has needed them: are the plugs supplied by the band at each show good enough to protect yourself and still be able to enjoy the music, or would it be worth it for me to spring for some fancy ones, before the gig?

I have, in the past, derided Mogwai for being disappointingly un-noisy, so it's not so much that I'm worried about not being able to take it; instead and more importantly, regardless of stupid, macho, I-can-take-it-! bullshit (which I'm gonna try not to let influence me), I'm genuinely looking to avoid potential hearing loss. After years and years of going to brutally loud shows and standing in front of the floor monitors and PAs, I don't want to suffer any serious damage in my mid-20s. Not even Loveless is worth that shit. So, yeah. Anyway. Any suggestions from the initiated?

You can all suck my dick and, more than likely, will want to, as I will very shortly be one of the coolest motherfuckers in the world.

You should come back to the US more often, as this is one of the more humorous posts I've seen in quite some time.

I'd just take some in your pocket. No band is loud enough that a cheap pair of 75cent earplugs won't protect your hearing. Fanciness is unecessary, half the time the fancy versions don't even give as much protection as the cheapos.

These guys are charging like $48 a ticket, which is absolutely ridiculous for someone of their level of popularity. I don't give a shit how much money Shields spent on his gear for the tour.

At first I thought you meant ridiculously cheap for who they are, as I'd pay FAR more than that to see them.

At first I thought you meant ridiculously cheap for who they are, as I'd pay FAR more than that to see them.

Well the people that love them obviously love them a lot. But they're a niche band, and just not that popular. I'd love to get sales figures to see if they fill up these venues in the U.S. Most people haven't even heard of them, and that includes the first time they were around.

I mean, you don't see Camper Van Beethoven charging that much.

I don't remember how much the recent Verve shows were, but they're got a much bigger standing than MBV does.

I know the shows they did in Europe had good results, but that's Europe. They're only doing 5 shows in North America, so I guess they're probably not out too much if they bomb here. Considering there are only 2 shows outside of California, I assume those will do well. 3 in Cali seems way too much to me honestly.

As you said, the people who love them, do a lot, so I really doubt that they won't have a good turnout. Looking on Last FM, the LA shows have the smallest amount of people set to go to them (2 shows there seems silly), but there are over 200 marked for the Chicago show, which is a huge amount for Last FM. The others are all over a hundred. (the Santa Barbara Radiohead show had 62 marked attendees in comparison)

Well you have to wonder how many people in the LA area realized after Ticketmaster charges they were looking at $65+ for this show and just said fuck it.

I can tell you that I would have gone if it was under $30.

I put down about $40 for this show, and I consider that a pretty ballin'-ass deal, as I would gladly have offered my soul. Relatively speaking, them shits was a steal.

Oh, and if anybody's hard-up for bread but'd still like to get a chance to visit Tokyo, some day, just pick up a copy of Loveless and give "To Here Knows When" a spin. It's the same thing, really--that song sounds, feels, possibly smells, and definitely moves like Tokyo. Basically, it is Tokyo. Shields is a douchebag for putting "Sometimes" into Lost In Translation. Total wasted opportunity.

Also, you kids've made me realize (pun very much intended) that there are indeed only, like, 5 MBV shows in the Americas, on this jaunt! That's fucking absurd! I thought that this was a nationwide tour, and I only bothered paying attention to the Chicago date which coincided with my being back in the States...I had no idea how many droves of people have basically no choice but to miss these shows/how many people in LA are spoiled, rotten, lucky-as-fuzz bastards...or more spoiled, rotten, and lucky-as-fuzz than we are, here in Chicago. :wink:

Seriously, though, clearly a longer tour could've and probably should've been financed. That's some really weird shit. No mainstream (North American) festivals, either, to appease the (North American) masses. I know that they turned down Coachella, and I'd imagine that they were at the very, very, very least asked about Lollapalooza... Utter insanity.

I really like My Bloody Valentine and have read a lot of things about their shows being almost too loud. The thing I don't get is - I thought the days when a band could just turn up as loud as they wanted were over and there were strict decibel levels that performers had to adhere to, particularly on outdoor gigs?

Can anyone explain to me whether this is right or not?

Just so you know, GAF, "My Bloody Valentine vs. Chicago" does not mean the White Sox have to actually face the band.

So you don't need to give them any help.

Just so you know, GAF, "My Bloody Valentine vs. Chicago" does not mean the White Sox have to actually face the band.

So you don't need to give them any help.

I heard that My Bloody Valentine will certainly SWEEP Chicago (off of their feet?).

OK - that sucked almost as bad as the White Sox at the Metrodome this summer.

Was anyone else really offended by that?

Besides, actual mass murderers usually fit the "quiet loner" profile, as opposed to "loud drunkard".

Was anyone else really offended by that?

Besides, actual mass murderers usually fit the "quiet loner" profile, as opposed to "loud drunkard".
what offends some people doesn't offend others. something that might offend you might not offend me, but we'd still handle it if that day were to ever come.

"You Made Me Realize" was 27 minutes long (10:01 to 10:28) and destructive. I only saw one person cry, but I was surprised how many people around me where grimacing and covering their ears even with the earplugs in. I took them out for the Loveless songs and no more than 40% of "Realize," and today's ringing is dull. Really, my body suffered more than my ears did--I left with a few toothaches and feeling just kinda numb and stingy, all over the place. It was like an 747 was parked up on the stage with the engines blasting at us at full power. Not the most exciting show that I've seen, and the band wasn't at all on the stage for long enough (given both the cost of the show and the fact that there are hardly any of these shows happening), but I had a good-ass time. "I Only Said" and "To Here Knows When" were spectacular, as was "Thorn."

"You Made Me Realize" was 27 minutes long (10:01 to 10:28) and destructive. I only saw one person cry, but I was surprised how many people around me where grimacing and covering their ears even with the earplugs in. I took them out for the "Loveless" songs and no more than 40% of "Realize," and today's ringing is dull. Really, my body suffered more than my ears did--I left with a few toothaches and feeling just kinda numb and stingy, all over the place. It was like an 747 was parked up on the stage with the engines blasting at us at full power. Not the most exciting show that I've seen, and the band wasn't at all on the stage for long enough (given both the cost of the show and the fact that there are hardly any of these shows happening), but I had a good-ass time. "I Only Said" and "To Here Knows When" were spectacular, as was "Thorn."

Are you still in Chicago? If so, U2popscumbo would want me to punch you in the face.

Glad you had a good-ass time at the show, I think it's pretty cool that you got to see them and if I did not have my head lodged up my ass, I'd have been there, too.

Oops. I don't even remember making that post. Was I joking?

I never joke about my work, 007.

The ghost of Virginia Woolf is calling me back to bed for round two.

I've had a good (read: bad) week. Everything's coming up roses. I can smell the river. Anybody got any stones?

ew-3c.gif

I won't disrupt the thread anymore. Continue discussing My Bloody Valentine please. Thanks.

:drool:

Last edited:
I am very intrigued by MBV and the "Loveless" album (I listen to it about once a year and am surprised by how much I like it each time), but I don't think I would have enjoyed being at that show.

I don't like bleeding from the ears.

Back
Top Bottom