My Bloody Valentine vs. Chicago: Tinnitus FTW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was it packaged well, envelope / box wise?

It was in one of those cardboard boxes that clearly were invented solely for Vinyl. It didn't have any kind of covering over it besides that. I'm sure that has nothing to do, however, with why my CD "case" was bent :grumpy:

This album sounds like crap on my stereo. Surround sound our bust.

But man is it great. I love the way it's sequenced, gradually feeling more alien and uncomfortable as it goes. The sweet spot is the incredible instrumental portion of In Another Way.

Thought you guys might enjoy this piece by Rob Sheffield, clearly a huge fan:

My Hundredth Listen to the New My Bloody Valentine Album: Even Better Than the First | Rob Sheffield | Rolling Stone

And I have to say, while I haven't spent enough time with this album yet, I think New You is just gloriously uplifting. I could probably listen to the wordless, final 2 minutes on a repeating loop for the rest of my life and never be depressed again.

I realize it's the poppiest song on there and isn't going to be a favorite of most MBV fans.

Thought you guys might enjoy this piece by Rob Sheffield, clearly a huge fan:

My Hundredth Listen to the New My Bloody Valentine Album: Even Better Than the First | Rob Sheffield | Rolling Stone

And I have to say, while I haven't spent enough time with this album yet, I think New You is just gloriously uplifting. I could probably listen to the wordless, final 2 minutes on a repeating loop for the rest of my life and never be depressed again.

I realize it's the poppiest song on there and isn't going to be a favorite of most MBV fans.

I love MBV but have no idea who or what a typical MBV fan is, I just know that even though it's the "poppiest" thing on there, by a lot, I love it, it's great.

I guess people who love the band primarily for the layers and layers of guitar work wouldn't point to this as an example of why they're so great.

But glad I'm not alone.

My vinyl packaging looks like they took a belt sander to the top edge of the cover. It's torn slightly through the cardboard into the pocket, for lack of a better term. No excuse.

Venting aside, I really like Only Tomorrow and Who Sees You. And yeah, New You is a curve ball, but I like it.

I'm certain my damage had nothing to do with shipping. My damage looks consistent with someone rubbing across the top of cellophane wrapping to tear it, and they got a good bit of cardboard in the process. I'm guessing they had to tear off a wrapper to insert the CD's or something similar.

08-16 Austin, TX - Austin Music Hall
08-17 Grand Prairie, TX - Verizon Theatre
08-19 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
08-21 Seattle, WA - WaMu Theater at CenturyLink Events Center
08-23 San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
08-25 Los Angeles, CA - FYF Fest

Copped a $25 ticket on Craigslist to see these cats tomorrow. Half price. Leggo.

For those of you who ordered the vinyl, is there anything involved with it to distinguish it from a normal LP? I want to get it now that I have a record player, but the $40 price tag is making me a bit hesitant.

Plus I have my eye on a rare issue of Homogenic for roughly the same price. :love:

There's nothing different about it, save that it comes with the CD as well. But, remember, this was recorded differently, analog, rather than digital and it's 180 gram as well. Similar in process, Psychedelic Pill's vinyl was $70.

Back
Top Bottom