Music Piracy - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:48 PM
Music Piracy

A long and well thought out post by David Lowery (Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker.)

Letter to Emily White at NPR All Songs Considered. | The Trichordist

Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:48 PM

Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
The Male

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Really well said.

Now that I have a degree of disposable income, I find I am contributing more to the music industry than I was before (I'm spending something like $800-900 on concerts through October), but I still have my limitations on purchasing music. For instance, I can't remember the last time I bought an album without hearing it first. Thanks to Rhapsody, Spotify, Grooveshark, NPR streams, etc. there's absolutely no reason to buy an album blind anymore, and amazon mp3 offers really decent deals so you can buy an album here or there and not feel like a total thief.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Blue Meth Addict

Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I fully believe in supporting artists financially. Lord knows I've put enough of my money into music over the years. But I also think that the big record companies need to accept some degree of culpability in the decline of music sales and the rise in "piracy" over the last decade or so. Their intimidation policy of aggressive litigation toward individuals was about as short-sighted a move as they could possibly have made and only served to reinforce the idea of the evil, avaricious suits looking to protect sales at any cost.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Refugee

From the sound of it, kids don't care how big the label is they're stealing from.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 PM
I read that yesterday and was going to post it but was too lazy. The person who sent me the link (an avid vinyl collector who doesn't steal music) thought the writer beat up on this 21 year old, but I thought he made some points that are pretty tough to argue with.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Blue Meth Addict

After this article, I may have to re-think my feelings towards Spotify.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
The Male

The people who argue that they're entitled to free music because it's a free country and creativity has no overhead blah blah make me laugh. I stole (and still steal) a great deal of music, but I would never make the argument that I'm owed free shit.

What artists need to make sure occurs in order to maximize profit and fan rapport is 1) make sure their albums are fairly priced, whether that means selling through their website or whatever other channel necessary and 2) allow their fans to hear the album in some capacity before purchase. Shoddy work shouldn't be rewarded, and that's ultimately the fan's decision. This should be respected. Beyond that, I see no reason not to buy an album if you like it.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
I read Emily's article on NPR a few days ago. It sounds like she worked in a college radio station and basically ripped every CD the station had into her personal collection. I thought it was really odd when she implied that ripping the station's CDs or having her friends put music on her iPod was somehow morally superior to using a file sharing site.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this rebuttal.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
After this article, I may have to re-think my feelings towards Spotify.
Yeah, that was disappointing to read. I was feeling pretty good about my switch to Spotify as a way to sample music before buying.

But honestly, this part was the big eye-opener. I'd never thought of it this way before, and it's spot-on.

Why do we gladly give our money to some of the largest richest corporations in the world [for internet, phone service, phones, computers, in order to get the "free" music] but not the companies and individuals who create and sell music?

This is a bit of hyperbole to emphasize the point. But it’s as if:

Networks: Giant mega corporations. Cool! have some money!

Hardware: Giant mega corporations. Cool! have some money!

Artists: 99.9 % lower middle class. Screw you, you greedy bastards!

Congratulations, your generation is the first generation in history to rebel by unsticking it to the man and instead sticking it to the weirdo freak musicians!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Why do we gladly give our money to some of the largest richest corporations in the world [for internet, phone service, phones, computers, in order to get the "free" music] but not the companies and individuals who create and sell music?
To be fair, we can, so we do. If we could steal broadband access and MacBooks as easy as we can steal music we'd be stealing a whole lot of broadband access and MacBooks.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schloopen View Post
From the sound of it, kids don't care how big the label is they're stealing from.
That's certainly true. I would say, though, that in the early days of file-sharing, the RIAA's (or whatever the acronym is) aggression likely caused innovation and greater efficiency in file-sharing methods, the very thing that they were fighting against. The tactics of the major labels ended up hurting everyone in the business, I think.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I see his point, but I'm pretty sure I would have a computer, a smart phone, and a high speed internet connection even if I never listened to music.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, I mean it didn't make me open my eyes to my own hypocrisy, but if I were reading that through the eyes of someone who downloads without really caring, because they feel entitled to free music, or who does it out of convenience while ignoring the bigger picture.

I think that's who might read that and be all "Whoa," like Joey Lawrence.