Music Piracy - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #76
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
All That You Can't Leave Behind
This is why you ended up in Utah, right? Because it was the only place you could hide from the Wrath Of McGuinness?

Old 08-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #77
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Was anyone else around here for when that leaked? It was the first U2 album where an "internet leak" was possible, and people were flipping out. That was pretty much the height of Napster at the time. Took 30 minutes or more to download each song. I stayed up until like 4 or 5 in the morning to get it.

Anyways, made buying the official album so unbelievably anti-climactic. I don't know how some of you can still do it (steal the leak and then buy it later). While it felt really cool to hear it before most any one else, it essentially ruined the official release.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

I sure wasn't. I wasn't really active until after Bomb came out, so I missed that, too. I'm glad I waited to hear NLOTH until it was released; all I'd heard was Boots and about 30 seconds of Magnificent.

(I risked injury fresh out of the shower to run into the other room to change the station when I realized it was a new U2 song ... definitely could tell it was U2. Heh.)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
I downloaded NLOTH from Universal Australia. I considered that an "official release" even if it was premature.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #80
Blue Meth Addict

I bought the album from that Australian music site that screwed up and uploaded it early as well. I felt weird about it, but at least money was transacted in the method it should have been. Waited until the official release on Bomb (a midnight release at Media Play, wish stores still did that kind of thing).
Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

JINX!

fcl
Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #82
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
I downloaded NLOTH from Universal Australia. I considered that an "official release" even if it was premature.
Hahaha it's still tagged that way on my iPod. I bought the album, but I never bothered to go through the process of importing it.

On the topic of supporting an artist through touring, I think it's fucking hysterical/awesome that The Weeknd is opening for the main headliner at Lollapalooza (other 7 PM slots: M83, Florence + The Machine) and he's never sold a single album. Every one of his releases has been free, and now the dude is playing to thousands.

I tried to go to his Lincoln Hall show, but tickets were $200 on eBay because the demand is crazy.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 AM
I had to pull over in a Uhaul somewhere in Mississippi when I saw a Walmart off the interstate so I could buy Bomb the day it was released. Which has nothing whatsoever to do with Music Piracy. That is my contribution to this thread. Thank you, thank you very much.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Small world. I bought Bomb at the Walmart in Gulfport, MS. I had pre-ordered the deluxe version but I couldn't wait any longer.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #85
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Was anyone else around here for when that leaked? It was the first U2 album where an "internet leak" was possible, and people were flipping out.
I was. It was just about the most exciting thing ever at the time of downloading and then first listen(s).

Unfortunately, this:

Quote:
Anyways, made buying the official album so unbelievably anti-climactic. I don't know how some of you can still do it (steal the leak and then buy it later). While it felt really cool to hear it before most any one else, it essentially ruined the official release.
Was exactly my experience, too. Went to a midnight release party at the local college cd shop, and it's not quite the same when you hear "brand new music" that you already know quite well playing on the store's speakers.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Small world. I bought Bomb at the Walmart in Gulfport, MS. I had pre-ordered the deluxe version but I couldn't wait any longer.

If life were a Robert Altman film, it would have been the same Walmart, and you would have been coming out the door as I was going in.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #87
Blue Crack Distributor

The @U2 folks had a pre-release party in Seattle for Bomb, and I went with a few friends. They had the album playing in the background, but I could barely make out any of it.

I don't remember how much of it I'd heard before its release. Weren't they on SNL a week or two before its release? I can't remember if that had been the first time I'd heard Sometimes You Can't etc etc. I remember being really impressed by that performance, though.