Music from Video Games - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Theme from Metal Gear Solid

YouTube - Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance Intro (PS2 Widescreen)

Theme from Gran Turismo

YouTube - Gran Turismo 4 Orignal Japanese Intro

Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:41 AM
I saw a band in Austin perform only songs from video games! It was amazing! I forgot their name, sadly. But they were the only band of their kind in Austin! it's a shame that video game music doesn't get more recogonition or for that matter movie composers like Thomas Newman who did the soundtrack for Phenomen and Meet Joe Black. I wish the movie and video game mediums were looked as equal as the next rock band. Anyways, the girl in that video game rock band played bass and she kicked ass! She played with her hat backwards and she wore a Mario hat. They played Mario songs from the original Nintendo, Sonic, and all kinds of music from the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo. It has been forever since I have heard stuff from those old systems but I might add, very refreshing as well, esp. thru a guitar and bass driven version. It brings back so many fond memories. I didn't play on those systems much but I remember listening to those theme songs when my brother played video games. I wish I remembered their name, so people could look them up. How's anyone else seen a video game band play before anywhere?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Irish Bono View Post
I saw a band in Austin perform only songs from video games! It was amazing! I forgot their name, sadly. But they were the only band of their kind in Austin! it's a shame that video game music doesn't get more recogonition or for that matter movie composers like Thomas Newman who did the soundtrack for Phenomen and Meet Joe Black. I wish the movie and video game mediums were looked as equal as the next rock band. Anyways, the girl in that video game rock band played bass and she kicked ass! She played with her hat backwards and she wore a Mario hat. They played Mario songs from the original Nintendo, Sonic, and all kinds of music from the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo. It has been forever since I have heard stuff from those old systems but I might add, very refreshing as well, esp. thru a guitar and bass driven version. It brings back so many fond memories. I didn't play on those systems much but I remember listening to those theme songs when my brother played video games. I wish I remembered their name, so people could look them up. How's anyone else seen a video game band play before anywhere?
I'm intrigued! Performed a quick search on Google and found this. Any of those band names ring a bell?

Canadiens1131: Metal Gear Some epic scores in those games. While sometimes the games can be a bit too cinematic for my tastes, the music is definitely outstanding.

Theme of Love - Metal Gear Solid 4
Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #19
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
I'm intrigued! Performed a quick search on Google and found this. Any of those band names ring a bell?
The Advantage were who came to mind when she mentioned it. I think most of the rest have copycatted them, though I don't claim to be a historian in rock bands covering video game music. They were great, but I have no idea if they're still together or not.

In regards to recent games, I think Marty O'donnell's scores for the Halo games are about as good as it gets in music composed specifically for games.

On the "licensed soundtrack" front, it's interesting to see how good or terrible of a job some games do in choosing songs. Racing games frequently choose complete garbage, but then you have the opposite end of the spectrum with games like SSX3, where people go out and buy albums by artists because of the game (we actually had a thread specifically about that soundtrack here back when that game came out, because so many people loved it or were asking about artists/songs from it). I thought Alan Wake's choices of licensed songs to use at chapter ends and in the game were absolutely amazing, as they really added to the story and the atmosphere they were trying to create.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I've said this before, but the Donkey Kong Country games for SNES have some of my favorite music ever. I'm not going to post any YouTube clips, because you can go look them up yourselves, or buy the games. And I hate threads that just have a million fucking YouTube clips clogging the page.
You wrote what I was going to write, like word for word.

My favourite from DKC2 is the Forest Interlude track, Aquatic Ambience for DKC1. I'm hoping we can expect more good stuff in the new DKC, they seem to be recreating the experience pretty well from what I've seen.

Few soundtracks stand out for me in more recent years, I guess because of the emphasis on ambiance due to the growing prominence of voice acting, but I liked a lot of music from Mass Effect 2. I recall the Ratchet and Clank games having some pretty great stuff, too.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

man, Kid Icarus: Uprising had some pretty great music:

Magnus's Theme - Kid Icarus Uprising - YouTube

Dark Pit's Theme - Kid Icarus Uprising - YouTube

Aurum Island - Kid Icarus Uprising - YouTube
Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #22
The Male

Local Time: 12:41 AM
The Silent Hill soundtracks are all exceptional.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #23
45:33

Local Time: 07:41 PM
GTA or GTFO
Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Well...that hardly counts.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:41 AM
I'm quite impressed with the Skyrim Soundtrack.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

A musician I like a great, great deal, Kurt Feldman (from Pains of Being Pure at Heart and The Ice Choir) also makes iPhone games. The soundtrack to his latest one is awesome:

Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oooooh I like that! Thanks for sharing
Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

The game is free in the App Store and you can buy the soundtrack for $5. I really would love to play the game, but...Android
Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeeaaaaahh, I'm rockin' the Android, myself
Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:41 AM
As many of my favourites are posted already, I'd just like to share this:

We had this annual Games in Concert event for years.
Professional orchestra and special guests playing about 1 hr of game music in total.
They never broadcasted the whole shows but here's a nice listen for anyone that loves some great videogames and their scores.

Enjoy :
domo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote