MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
It and the song after it sound like they were done by some one else. Is someone else singing on those two tracks?

That's Chris! He sings them and wrote the songs! ( liquid state is the other one). Save me is about his battle with alcoholism.

On my first run through. I liked the first two tracks (we actually have some guitar on Supremacy), but these next few songs are quite average, and that's putting it mildly. Hopefully it picks up again towards the end.

Got the album on monday only listened to it once though. Seems a werid album but ive got to listen to it a few times.im not into the dubstep tracks its not really my thing.

Theres nothing on the album that sounds like u2 to me. Madness sounds nothing like a u2 track.

Tyagu_Anaykus said:
really? because I can hear the Zooropa album in there :scratch:

Maybe I'm loosing my mind, which is very plausible too.

Ive got to give it a few listens to be honest ive had it on once at work.

I really dont see the link with madness though

Big Freeze

Healed, or are you still just reeling?
Are you fine? Have you found a way to escape?
Are you here, just because I need you?
Can we hole up, a big freeze is heading our way.

We are on a hiding to nowhere,
We still hope, but our dreams are not the same.
And I, I lost before I started,
I'm collapsing in stellar clouds of gas.

Hear me. What words just can't convey.
Feel me. Don't let the sun in your heart decay.
Fight, or will you show me mercy?
We've expelled, the goodness from our hearts.
Are you here, just to prove you're winning?
Can we hole up, and ride out this electrical storm?

We destroyed something beautiful.
We have faith, but our truths are not the same.
Don't give up, don't let the magic leave us,
Stop the lONEliest force becoming king of the universe.

Don't give up, don't let the magic leave us.
We're collapsing in stellar clouds of gas.

Who can find more?

Bellamy's getting more & more embarrassing with each album, he is an atrocious lyricist even for the type of music they make.

I'm not sure if slightly toning down the Queen in favor of dubstep makes this worse or better than The Resistance, but it's certainly clear to me now that technical ability & flourishes aside Muse are not good songwriters & if you're not a paranoid-delusional they're not going to have any emotional resonance with you. They've made plenty of entertaining tracks over the years, but they don't really go beyond that. Absolution seems more & more like a flash in the pan success as a cohesive, entertaining & admirable album.

I will say, like with The Resistance, the one track I genuinely really like is the one that's fish-out-of-water for them/from the rest of the album. In that case it was "Undisclosed Desires", here it's the 80's synth-pop reborn "Panic Station".

Oh yeah, & the intro to "Survival" is so oddly James Bond theme-esque. That part was cool, before the vocal kicked in.

Instrumental versions? Hmmm. I may have to give that a listen as well, I'd like to hear that. I think if there's a big weakness on this album, it's definitely in the lyrics. Some of the songs aren't too bad, and I know people have said the band's lyrics aren't their strong point in general and that's not why most people listen to them, and all of that is true. But I do think previous albums have had some better ones overall.

This.

Thank god they've ditched the Queen shit. Totally doesn't fit them, and if the Gallagher's were ever right about anything it's that Muse is weird as hell and it's shit like that in their music that's why. Not weird in a good way, weird in a 'this doesn't fit' kind of way.

I honestly think 'dubstep' is a really poor description of the 'oontz' quality of this music though. 'Undisclosed Desires' is my absolute favorite Muse song. I wish they'd shoot more towards that kind of music.

I agree about the "dubstep" thing. Very inaccurate description / comparison.

The other part, I have no idea what you mean. You think Knights of Cydonia sucked?

No, I think just about everything on The Resistance sucked outside of the lead material.

United States of Eurasia has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard if you neglect the musical composition and deal with the lyrics and vocals alone.

The cheesy guitar on Guiding Light that's some mega-overplayed Queen song (as with most of the guitar on the tracks below it).

I Belong to You... same shit. Bohemian Rhapsody spit on by Muse.

That album as an album is terrible.

I believe that Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations are as fine a trio of albums that any band has ever released. I like the last 2 albums fairly well, but feel that they're a little weird and harder to digest.

Then I realize that 2001-2006, the years those 3 albums were released, was when I was in my late teens/early 20s, which I believe is when people absorb the most music, and when their tastes are defined. I imagine it must be like how U2 fans of the 80s felt once they heard Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I can appreciate that Resistance and 2nd law are good, but it'll never be the Muse I got into in the mid 00's.

For the record, I've never really given Showbiz a listen. I guess I just never got around to it. I should do that soon.

It's refreshing to hear a band that's not afraid to experiment and change it up a bit. I like the album.

Am I the only Muse fan in the world who actually hates Knights of Cydonia? I just think it's way cheesy (even if it is Muse we're talking about here...) On the plus side, my dislike of the song means I've been able to get a good jump on exiting the show before the crowd the past couple of tours... :reject:

I'd say you're certainly in a minority.

But that's cool. We've all got our preferences. For instance, I like Origin of Symmetry, I think there's many great songs on there (including "Bliss", which is one of my all-time favorite Muse songs), but at the same time, it's an album I find I have to be in the mood for. It's not one I listen to as regularly as their other albums.

And yet I know there are people who rave about Origin as their best album ever, and aren't as into their latter stuff.

Then I realize that 2001-2006, the years those 3 albums were released, was when I was in my late teens/early 20s, which I believe is when people absorb the most music, and when their tastes are defined. I imagine it must be like how U2 fans of the 80s felt once they heard Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I can appreciate that Resistance and 2nd law are good, but it'll never be the Muse I got into in the mid 00's.

Good analysis, especially with the U2 thing-I think Muse is at the point where that comparison definitely applies to them.

I got into Muse in 2007, through Black Holes & Revelations, so I think that's part of the reason why I enjoy their latter works so much. But while I might have my favorite albums or songs, like I said before, I'm also one who can find things to like from every era of my favorite artists' career. Some people, however, have their preferences for one time period over another.

And LuckyNumber and I shall just have to agree to disagree on the Resistance songs discussed. To me, "United States of Eurasia" is fun, "Guiding Light" is the sort of '80s cheese that is right up my alley, and "I Belong to You" (which I personally think has been the most "fish out of water" song for the band to date)...I just adore it. It's so hilarious and strange and yet there's something about it I can't help but love.

We're in agreement on "Undisclosed Desires", though.

if you're not a paranoid-delusional they're not going to have any emotional resonance with you.

Well I wouldn't say that Matt's lyrics have much emotional resonance with me (but then few lyrics actually do). But I could think of a few Muse songs that do move me emotionally in terms of music and vocals. Like Exogenesis for instance.

I have to say that I don't get the adoration of Origin of Symmetry at all. Yes, Bliss, Plug in Baby and New Born are Muse classics - I wasn't surprised to hear in one interview that these three songs formed the backbone of the album when they were writing it. Feeling Good is a cool cover and Citizen Erased is pretty good. The rest, to me, is just not that strong.

I hate to bring it up again but does anyone actually like "United States of Eurasia"?

Does anyone else have the same feeling about that song as I do?

Well, I mentioned I liked that song earlier, yeah, but Saracene and I seem to be in the minority on liking that album in general, so I'm sure there's probably some around here who would agree with you.

I have to say that I don't get the adoration of Origin of Symmetry at all. Yes, Bliss, Plug in Baby and New Born are Muse classics - I wasn't surprised to hear in one interview that these three songs formed the backbone of the album when they were writing it. Feeling Good is a cool cover and Citizen Erased is pretty good. The rest, to me, is just not that strong.

I'm also partial to "Dark Shines" and "Megalomania", and like it a little more than you do, but still, glad to not be alone again in not picking this one as the best regardless :).

I hate to bring it up again but does anyone actually like "United States of Eurasia"?

I didn't particularly care for it when it was first released, but it's really grown on me since and surprisingly it was my favourite live song off The Resistance. The Queen bit still gives me a good giggle every time I hear the song :)

I thought Muse had enormous potential up through Black Holes, but the Resistance album was weak and now 2nd Law is really just crappy with the exception of the one single "Madness" which sounds just ok. I disagree they've totally ditched the "Queen" vide/sound - some of the tracks including Madness remind me of "Hot Space" era Queen crossed w/"Numb." I will admit when I saw them on their last tour a couple years ago, it was one of the best, most enjoyable arena rawk productions I'd seen since U2's ZooTV tour in '92.

IMO, the best album of 2012 so far has been between Killing Joke's MMXII" and the new Van Halen album.

T.B.

I think other than the tail end of The 2nd Law, it's a good album. Certainly better than The Resistance, of which my opinion is much similar to your opinion of The 2nd Law.

Back
Top Bottom