MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2nd Law doesn't sound like Radiohead, at all. I've always thought those comparisons were weak (and really only applied to OK Computer), but now critics are just using old comparisons as a crutch.

Big Freeze is a fucking U2 song though. Really.

The guy who produced The Bends produced the first two Muse albums, so the comparison made sense in the really early days. I'm not going to lie, I only bought Showbiz way back when because Sunburn and Muscle Museum reminded me of Radiohead.

Speaking of that album, those are the only two songs worth a damn. I didn't even buy Origin of Symmetry when it came out, despite really liking the singles, because of how weak I thought Showbiz was as an album.

Also, regarding the reviews...so am I alone in sticking up for The Resistance?

Nope, The Resistance is my favourite Muse album. Though I do understand why many people dislike it.

I also think that the UK/European critical opinion tends to be much more favourable towards Muse than the US - maybe because their whole OTT sensibility just doesn't do much for US critics.

I just want Muse to rock again. I don't care if they're OTT or if Bellamy's tin foil hat has taken root at this point. Their lyrics have always been ridiculous. I just want some badass guitar lines.

I also think that the UK/European critical opinion tends to be much more favourable towards Muse than the US - maybe because their whole OTT sensibility just doesn't do much for US critics.

Probably. Also, their major following in the early years in the US before they broke into the mainstream was with indie / hipster croud, so there's probably still a bit of the stupid, "They suck because they're popular now" type feelings floating around. I'm sure many of the Americans who hopped on because of Knights of Cydonia are mad their last two albums haven't sounded 100% just like that song.

Nope, The Resistance is my favourite Muse album. Though I do understand why many people dislike it.

Hooray :)! Agree with your post and and Mofo's regarding critical reception as well (it's funny that their over the top attitude wouldn't fit in well here in the States, given how inflated we can be about our greatness and whatnot often :p).

As for Showbiz, half of that album I really love-"Sunburn", "Muscle Museum" (one of my top 5 Muse songs), "Falling Down", "Showbiz, "Unintended", and "Uno" are all particular favorites.

The rest ranges from merely good to "eh".

Yeah, the other songs from Showbiz aren't particularly bad, just not the type of things I really want to hear again. Compared to the rest of their catalog, for me at least, it seems like the most inconsistent album they've done. I'll take the unpopular songs from Resistance to it any day.

That's Chris Wolstenholme, the bass man.

I love Muse's rocking side as well, but they've also done quite a few rocky tracks down the years that I really don't care for - Dead Star, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, Small Print, Hypermusic. On The Resistance, MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection are probably the closest to old-style Muse and I find them the least impressive tracks on that album.

Ah, no wonder.

Sometimes it's good to have low expectations, I probably enjoyed it overall more than I do the last one. I'll definitely pick it up some time this week.

Am I the only person who likes Unsustainable? It actually is one of my favorites on first listen. :shh:

I like "Unsustainable", too. That was one I wasn't sure on at first when it was released a few months back-loved the dramatic opening strings and such, wasn't sure on the guitar part, but my opinion's changed since then and now I think it sounds kinda cool-I like the robotic voice. Hearing it within the context of the album helps a lot, too.

And as many have noted here, there is no doubt these songs are going to be amazing live.

Yeah, the other songs from Showbiz aren't particularly bad, just not the type of things I really want to hear again. Compared to the rest of their catalog, for me at least, it seems like the most inconsistent album they've done. I'll take the unpopular songs from Resistance to it any day.

Exactly. Well said.

I will say this, though-the piano version of "Cave" is absolutely gorgeous.

And I agree with Saracene, too, about their rock side-I do like some of the songs in her list, and they have indeed put out some kickass straight up rock songs ("Hysteria", "Knights of Cydonia", "Time is Running Out", etc.). But like I said before, I love their piano and dramatic orchestral side as well. That's the biggest thing I love about Absolution, lots of piano-led songs and there's a real dark beauty to it that I adore.

Instrumental versions? Hmmm. I may have to give that a listen as well, I'd like to hear that. I think if there's a big weakness on this album, it's definitely in the lyrics. Some of the songs aren't too bad, and I know people have said the band's lyrics aren't their strong point in general and that's not why most people listen to them, and all of that is true. But I do think previous albums have had some better ones overall.

Just finished listening to this album and I really liked it on a first listen. Didn't disappoint as I initially thought it would. I think it has a sound of it's own and yet it still sounds like Muse and nothing else. I loved the new sound on tracks like Panic Station. And I found it really refreshing to hear a couple of tracks with Chris's vocals.

Also, I don't understand why so many muse fans or people in general always wish that they would make an album that would be reminiscent of their earlier albums, I wouldn't be expecting or be excited for a new album from any band that did the same album 10 times. I love Absolution because it sounds like Absolution.

And would someone be kind enough to tell me what does "OTT" mean?

Just finished listening to this album and I really liked it on a first listen. Didn't disappoint as I initially thought it would. I think it has a sound of it's own and yet it still sounds like Muse and nothing else. I loved the new sound on tracks like Panic Station. And I found it really refreshing to hear a couple of tracks with Chris's vocals.

Yeah, the Chris songs are really interesting to hear. I wonder if this'll become a thing or if this is just something he wanted to try once?

Glad you're liking it so far :).

Also, I don't understand why so many muse fans or people in general always wish that they would make an album that would be reminiscent of their earlier albums, I wouldn't be expecting or be excited for a new album from any band that did the same album 10 times. I love Absolution because it sounds like Absolution.

:up: I think this about any artist I like. Sure, I'll sometimes hear echoes of an artist's older work in their new stuff-every musician has a "bread and butter" sound, so to speak, so it's only natural that you'll hear songs that make you go, "Hey, that kinda sounds like a song from this album!" or something.

But yeah, to do exact repeats over and over, that I don't get at all. What's the point?

And would someone be kind enough to tell me what does "OTT" mean?

"Over the top", I'm guessing. Unless there's some other phrase that alludes to that I'm not familiar with.

What do you think about the new Muse album?

I love Muse almost as much as U2 (I said almost....) and I was wondering how you like the new one "The 2nd Law".

The 2nd song Madness could be a perfect U2 song, almost scary how it is similar to U2's arrangement and sound (even voice). The end of the song in particular....

Besides that, I don't like this album, besides 2 songs maybe. Very disappointed. Origin of Symetry stays my favourite Muse album without a doubt.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Why is this U2 related?

Except, maybe, that "Big Freeze" has some Edge-ish guitar work. Apart from that: It's an ok album, better than "Resistance", worse than "Origins". But then again, every Muse album is worse than "Origins" :wink:

About 'Madness': The first 3/4 of the song is very, very boring. I do enjoy the last part:up:

Haven't heard the rest of the album.

Supremacy sounds like "Come with me", but it's a great opening track. "Big Freeze" is very U2-ish. Most of the stuff sounds like Queen, but that's nothing new. Sometimes I wish Muse would make their references to other bands less obvious. I like the album, it has great moments, but over all I think it's not very coherent. The first half of the record connects to me much more than the second half. The biggest suprise to me is "Madness", because I didn't like it when it first came out but now I tend to think it's one of the best songs on that album.

To me, there are two Muses, one I like and one I don't. The one I like disappeared without a trace after Absolution.

That said, the two songs by Chris on The 2nd Law are decent enough that I'm inclined to suggest Matthew Over-Emoting Bellamy should be just left to play guitar/piano. Then the good Muse might come back.

I'm right now a bit neutral about it. Resistance had a couple duds, but the title track was amazing. This new album... what the fuck is up with that dubstep bullshit?

Supremacy and Liquid State are brilliant, sound a wee bit like old Muse. But the rest is a bit... questionable.

Don't quite see the U2 links though. Perhaps you're better off in Bang & Clatter.

Back
Top Bottom