MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll wait until the album is released before deciding it sucks. Survival and Unsustainable do absolutely nothing for me, but I know disliking two tracks on an album doesn't mean I'll hate the whole thing.

If I'm not crazy about the album, I'll still see them live. Muse is one of my favorite bands and they won't just be playing 2nd Law material. I'll just stick to the local show instead of traveling to a few Northeast dates like I had planned. :shrug:

At this point, I can't even get excited about seeing them live, since 90% of what they play will be Black Holes/Resistance/2nd Law. Probably not worth it for a couple of Origin of Symmetry and Absolution tunes. The highlight would be hearing them play Newborn for the umpteenth time . . .

Sorry to hear that. But that's how you feel. Me for one have plans to see them live. I like BHAR, TR and hopefully 80% of 2nd law. I wish they thought of the US as much as their home country and could of blessed us with a couple of OOS live shows (like they did last year) that would of been awesome. But unfortunately the US is not at that level. They obviously have to promote their new album. They can't just play the oldies as great as they are. They like to experiment and go in different directions in areas of music that they like which isn't necessarily what a lot of us like. Gotta give them props for not spending the last 12 years churning out the same shit. And producing the last two albums (TR and the new one) themselves.

Seems like a lot of British Bands like to play it safe and play the hits and not pull out some good oldies, Muse included here in the US. With the rare exception of Radiohead to our delight. Wish they would get a clue and do what they did.

Like I said to each their own. C'est la vie.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
I wish they thought of the US as much as their home country and could of blessed us with a couple of OOS live shows (like they did last year) that would of been awesome.

Yeah, OOS sets at Lolla and Outside Lands would have been great. :up:

I feel the same way as Amy. If I don't like the rest of The 2nd Law, I'll still enjoy the rest of the show. Aside from the horror that was Guiding Light, I liked The Resistance. And I love Black Holes and Revelations.

Personally, I prefer BHaR and The Resistance to OOS and Absolution, so I've no problem with their shows leaning more on the latest stuff. As long as they never ever drop Stockholm Syndrome :D

The two new tracks aren't rocking my world so far, so fingers crossed there's better stuff on the new album.

Like I said a while back, "Survival" has kinda grown on me, and there were some aspects of "Unsustainable" that I liked, too. It's not uncommon for me to have this reaction with Muse songs-some I love right off the bat, some take a little longer to win me over. So ultimately, I'm with U2Fanatic on this one.

And I definitely want to go see them again. I too like their later stuff, so I'm fine with them playing whatever. All I ask is that I hear "Blackout". If I hear that at a show I go to, we'll call it good :).

They're supposed to be at the closing ceremonies for the Olympics tonight, right? At least that's what I'd heard.

Listened to the new single "Madness" today and I don't think I like it. Their new style doesn't do much for me. I loved all their album, except The Resistance, which had some good songs, but was generally a disappointment for me. I just hope the new song isn't an indicator for how the rest of the new album will sound like.

Still excited to go to the Muse show in November.

Yeah, I definitely think this song is miles ahead of "Unsustainable". Of course, it's still miles behind any of the singles from OOS, Absolution, or Black Holes. But it's peaked my curiosity about the new record again.

All right, so I've heard this "Madness" song three times now.

I like it very much :yes:. I love Matt's voice on it. The song kind of reminds me of another one in some ways, I want to say something from the '70s or '80s in a way, but I'm not quite sure which one it is.

Yeah. This is good stuff, this song. And I'm definitely appreciating the other two songs more now as well. Can't wait for October.

Saracene said:
Finally, a new song I really like :yes: For some reason it makes me think of George Michael - maybe something about Matt's vocal style?

I had that exact thought too - I think the chords/vocal melody are quite similar to Faith.

I like it quite a bit too, but agree with LeMeL that it's an odd choice as a first single. Must not be many good "rockers".

I got a definite "Undisclosed Desires" vibe from it, too, yeah. Which isn't a bad thing in my opinion, but I know some others might disagree :p.

You think it reminds you of "Faith" a bit, Saracene? Hmmm. That's an interesting comparison-I'll have to see if I hear that the next time I listen to it. I think it makes a bit of sense as a first single. I can see this getting a bit of airplay, at least.

On a related note, hearing all the new songs made me go on something of a Muse listening binge last night :D. Fun to do some compare and contrasting, and it was just fun to listen to the guys in general for a few hours.

I can hear the Achtung Baby comparison, too. This is definitely a good thing :yes:. I too have a feeling a lot of the songs on this album could be the kind that grow on you-like I said, that's not an uncommon thing with these guys. Some songs you love immediately, others it takes a few listens before you go, "Okay, yeah, this is pretty cool."

Saracene, seems you're on to something with your "Faith" comparison. From the Wikipedia entry on the song:

According to NME, "Madness" draws influences from Queen's "I Want to Break Free" and George Michael's "Faith".[1]

Thanks for the other links as well, people.

I have to admit Madness is growing on me. An album full of songs like Madness would be quite fun.

This is easily the best of the three new songs (not saying much). Totally agree about the Achtung Baby influence on the vocals, particularly the final chorus. The first three minutes are kinda eh (the wobbly bass and Brian May mini-solo are sort of cool) but then it goes all The Fly/Ultraviolet at the end and becomes awesome. Makes me wish they did The Fly for that AB covers album.

Back
Top Bottom