MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so are Muse proper huge in the USA then?

depends on what you mean by proper huge.

They grossed over 80 million this tour. They played indoor venues that all big bands like U2 played here. Next step are stadiums so they are pretty close to huge. This tour was probably their hugest here. Selling out venues and playing 2 nights in a row at some.

Definitely the US was way behind the rest of the world in terms of popularity. For the life of me I can't figure out why. I don't know if they didn't get the proper exposure, promotion with the two tours prior to this one that just ended.

according to pollstar:

2010 Year End Top 50 Worldwide Concert Tours (Ranking by Pollstar)

#9 Muse Number of Tickets Sold Worldwide: 1,230,917 (Est.)

#13 Muse Gross Ticket Sales: US$76.6 million (Est.) 64 shows

Source: PollstarPro: We Apologize

The 2009-10 The Resistance Tour from September 2009 thru December 2009 probably grossed approx US$120 million from 150 shows including fees received for headlining various festivals and supporting U2.

not too shabby lads. :applaud:

Definitely the US was way behind the rest of the world in terms of popularity. For the life of me I can't figure out why.

It's probably because of the problems they had with their US record label over Origin of Symmetry, which wasn't even released there until much later. As a result, they pretty much had to start over in US with Absolution as if it was their first album, whereas in the rest of the world they've already built up an audience.

It's probably because of the problems they had with their US record label over Origin of Symmetry, which wasn't even released there until much later. As a result, they pretty much had to start over in US with Absolution as if it was their first album, whereas in the rest of the world they've already built up an audience.

yeah that is true.. I forgot about that.

interesting, I had no idea. Thanks for posting this little tid bit.

The reason Muse never got any traction in the U.S. before now is that they didn't peg their signature sound to a SUPER HOT property like the Twilight series :drool:

Yeah, no doubt that certainly helped them.

I still get a kick out of the fact that Muse's record company wanted Matt to tone down his falsetto 'cause they didn't think it'd help them here. 'Cause, you know, falsetto's totally hurt so many male artists in music history: Frankie Valli, the Bee Gees, Prince, Bono, Tiny freakin' Tim...

A new interview with Video Hits, when they were in Australia:

YouTube - Matt Bellamy interview on Video Hits, January 2011

Thanks for sharing that. I always like watching his reactions to the interviewers, he tends to be amused by them quite often. Lot of the usual questions, but fun discussion nonetheless. I always like hearing him geek out and talk about classical music he loves, and yay for more U2 praise :up:!). The bit about how he looks over at Dom and Chris when on stage, and thinks back to their past, that was nice (LOL at the concert mishap stories, too).

Angela

yeah that is true.. I forgot about that.

interesting, I had no idea. Thanks for posting this little tid bit.

Muse education FTW! :up: (I didn't know about the OOS probs, either.) :D

You're referring to Matt's little speech impediment? :wink:

In one of the interviews I've seen he tried to pronounce "British Rail", with hilarious results.

I saw a clip during the summer where he was asking a fan if they were going to "Rock am Ring", and had to repeat himself a couple of times. I literally keeled over. Poor Matt.

^hehehe.. It's one of the things I love about him.. :love:

:up:

Haha, I must've missed the U.S. tabloids thus far, first I'm hearing of this here :p.

Oh, boy, yeah, I can only imagine the uproar. Meh. If it's true, congrats to them, if it isn't, then tabloids are being sensational again, no surprise, moving on.

*Tries to imagine Matt as a potential dad :hmm:*

Angela

I tried to work in New Born and Plug In Baby in some witty way but it's too late in the evening :wink:

Anyways, if it's true then congrats to them both. I can't imagine Matt as a dad though, he's such a boy himself :D

Now I'll just sit back and wait for my Mum to see this in some trash mag and get a major shock :macdevil:

I tried to work in New Born and Plug In Baby in some witty way but it's too late in the evening :wink:

:lol: :applaud:

Anyways, if it's true then congrats to them both. I can't imagine Matt as a dad though, he's such a boy himself :D

Haha, indeed. I bet he'd be a good one, though.

Now I'll just sit back and wait for my Mum to see this in some trash mag and get a major shock :macdevil:

Hehe. They talked about this briefly on "Chelsea Lately" last night and man, was it surreal. It is seriously bizarre to see Matt pop up in our tabloids in this way. Finally getting American attention...for nothing music-related :p.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom