MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Muse is a great live band. Saw them live in October, and was honestly one of the best concerts I've ever been to. :heart:

A few pics from my last two Muse concerts:

bris1.jpg

bris2.jpg

bris3.jpg

bris4.jpg

bris5.jpg

Giant eyeballs know what you've done!

bris6.jpg

Warning: you might get incinerated by the lasers. Attend the show at your own risk.

bris7.jpg

Two more - seated concert tonight and GA tomorrow :) Combined with U2 shows, it's seven gigs in two weeks, easily the craziest concert streak I've ever had.

Man, how I envy you! I'd love to have that kind of a concert schedule. Exhausting, sure, but at least you're getting tired out for a GOOD reason :).

Awesome pictures. That stage looks so badass. I love the shot right above the one with the eyeballs, the dark colors and weird glow, very cool. And Matt at a piano :heart:. Thanks for sharing them, looks like they put on one hell of a performance there.

Angela

FYI: presented my BFF (Susan, for those of you in the know :wink: ) with her H.A.A.R.P. CD/DVD & she was thrilled. We didn't get a chance to watch the DVD, but we did listen to the audio while getting ready for her Christmas party & it was divine. :drool: :rockon: :up:

Thanks to all for helping me hit a home run on the 2010 Christmas present exchange! :D

Another night of effing awesome with Muse at the Rod Laver Arena :rockon:

Yesterday was one of the strangest and most bipolar days I've ever had, because in the morning I went to my first funeral; my sister's boyfriend's family suffered a terrible tragedy last week when his uncle died of complications after a triple bypass surgery :sad: That he was only 56 and that it happened so close to Christmas made it even more terrible, his eldest sister came down from Greece to celebrate with the rest of the family and learned that her brother died when at the airport.

So needless to say the service at the Greek orthodox church was incredibly sad and while I was there the idea of going to a rock concert later on seemed rather preposterous. On the other hand, I have always reached for music and the escape it offers during bad times.

I went to the show with my Mum, who is also a huge Muse fan, they're her official second-favourite band after Pink Floyd. We were both in a subdued mood when we met at home after work, but as we approached the venue we were caught up in the general excitement and felt much better. Our seats were great - in the lower section of the arena on the left side of the stage; before the main event we went to hang around outside, where I amused myself with people-watching. Just like last time around the crowd was entertainingly random, my favourite sighting was a family with four little kids, all wearing different Muse T-shirts :cute:

- When the intro music was over and the curtains came down to reveal the band, there was a hilarious Spinal Tap-esque moment when the central curtain for Dom's platform got stuck :lol: So the poor guy remained covered for a few seconds before the curtain reluctantly fell down.

- Matt wore the shiny silver suite and those large fugly blue shades, which he took off after the first song, thank Christ.

- Setlist was the same as on the first night in Sydney, with Map of the Problematique, Citizen Erased and Sunburn.

- I often grumble about Aussie audiences and their reserved ways at the concerts, but yesterday the crowd was amazing - from the first song most people in our section were up on their feet, dancing and singing along, sometimes too loudly! :wink:

- The riffage after Stockholm Syndrome was immense :ohmy::drool: Holy mother of god it was awesome.

- The boys were in top form, heaps of energy, Matt was jumping around like a lunatic :love: He was spotlighting the crowd again before Plug in Baby, except that this time the beam went around the arena and made people do Mexican waves :D

So thanks Muse for brightening up my day.

So needless to say the service at the Greek orthodox church was incredibly sad and while I was there the idea of going to a rock concert later on seemed rather preposterous. On the other hand, I have always reached for music and the escape it offers during bad times.

*Nods* Everyone grieves in their own ways. Sometimes, continuing on with your plans as scheduled helps. Especially if, like you said, it's something like music, a means of comfort (which it most certainly is).

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's boyfriend's uncle :(. My condolences to both your families :hug:.

On a lighter note...

Just like last time around the crowd was entertainingly random, my favourite sighting was a family with four little kids, all wearing different Muse T-shirts :cute:

:cute: That is awesome.

- I often grumble about Aussie audiences and their reserved ways at the concerts, but yesterday the crowd was amazing - from the first song most people in our section were up on their feet, dancing and singing along, sometimes too loudly! :wink:

I am seriously mystified as to why some people at rock concerts just kinda stand there. Maybe they're afraid of dancing in front of people or just aren't that active for one reason or another (health issues or something like that)? Those would have to be the only options that make sense, 'cause otherwise, to not show any hint of excitement and energy just seems...weird.

But I'm glad that wasn't the case this time around. Yay for the crowd getting into it :D!

- The riffage after Stockholm Syndrome was immense :ohmy::drool: Holy mother of god it was awesome.

Coooooool. I can believe that-in all the live stuff I've seen/heard of Muse's, I've yet to hear a version of this song that doesn't kick ass from here to the moon and back. I think that may well be one of the band's favorite songs to do live, they always seem like they go nuts when they perform it.

Yay for Muse making your day better :). And yay for cool moms, too. My mom only knows a few of the band's songs-but she does like the few she's heard.

Angela

FYI: presented my BFF (Susan, for those of you in the know :wink: ) with her H.A.A.R.P. CD/DVD & she was thrilled. We didn't get a chance to watch the DVD, but we did listen to the audio while getting ready for her Christmas party & it was divine. :drool: :rockon: :up:

Thanks to all for helping me hit a home run on the 2010 Christmas present exchange! :D

this is awesome lisa.. such a good muse friend you are.. :applaud:

Glad the DVD worked out well, Lisa! :D

Saracene, I'm sorry for your loss. :hug: But I'm glad Muse was there to offer some relief :)
At the second LA show, Chris's curtain got stuck and wasn't fixed until about a minute or two into Uprising (the first song). :lol: Sounds like a fantastic show! Your concert line-up is amazing. I'm jealous. Plus you got Sunburn, one of my current favorites. :love: :hug:

That was a pretty good Muse DVD I saw at Rod Laver last night, albeit rather pricey.

No, that's underselling it (except for the price, which was ridiculous for the seats we had). I don't like the whole big-spectacle-concert thing, it's too detached for my liking, but Muse pulled it off well, better than U2 have on 360 - mainly because Muse actually remember to rock, and got us going much more than we expected up in the stands. Plenty of energy and if I closed my eyes, I didn't feel far from the stage at all.

Sunburn, Citizen Erased, and Newborn absolutely killed, not to mention the Agitated riffing in Stockholm Syndrome. Epic lulz at the loser casual fans beside us who sat down for Sunburn and then stood up for Eurasia. Eurasia! And they didn't know Time Is Running Out. Who the hell is willing to fork out $100 to see Muse and doesn't at least recognise TIRO? Admittedly though, I'm from the early fans group for whom TIRO is the "song the casuals will know" and I can't really get my head around them now being the "Supermassive Black Hole and Starlight band" (which were two of the three songs the casuals next to us knew word for word, the other being *shudder* Undisclosed Desires).

Looking forward to tonight, and given I don't think much of Muse's post-Absolution output, the setlists are surprisingly good. Enough old stuff (and most of the new stuff I like) to keep me happy, even if Showbiz's representation in the set is terrible. Would love them to surprise us with Dead Star or In Your World, but I'm not foolish enough to get my hopes up there.

That was a pretty good Muse DVD I saw at Rod Laver last night, albeit rather pricey.

No, that's underselling it (except for the price, which was ridiculous for the seats we had). I don't like the whole big-spectacle-concert thing, it's too detached for my liking, but Muse pulled it off well, better than U2 have on 360 - mainly because Muse actually remember to rock, and got us going much more than we expected up in the stands. Plenty of energy and if I closed my eyes, I didn't feel far from the stage at all.

Sunburn, Citizen Erased, and Newborn absolutely killed, not to mention the Agitated riffing in Stockholm Syndrome. Epic lulz at the loser casual fans beside us who sat down for Sunburn and then stood up for Eurasia. Eurasia! And they didn't know Time Is Running Out. Who the hell is willing to fork out $100 to see Muse and doesn't at least recognise TIRO? Admittedly though, I'm from the early fans group for whom TIRO is the "song the casuals will know" and I can't really get my head around them now being the "Supermassive Black Hole and Starlight band" (which were two of the three songs the casuals next to us knew word for word, the other being *shudder* Undisclosed Desires).

Looking forward to tonight, and given I don't think much of Muse's post-Absolution output, the setlists are surprisingly good. Enough old stuff (and most of the new stuff I like) to keep me happy, even if Showbiz's representation in the set is terrible. Would love them to surprise us with Dead Star or In Your World, but I'm not foolish enough to get my hopes up there.

cool! Axver I had no idea you were a fan! Glad you got a couple of oldies sorta. CE and Sunburn. I love pre absolution stuff as well. In recent interviews, Matt and Dom have said that Dead Star is their favorite song to play. Some fans have talked to them between shows and begged them to play Dead Star. So there is a chance. The best us Americans got was DS riffs especially at LA2 show. They did an 8 min outro following SS that had some insane riffs including DS.. Lost count how many.

check it out:

YouTube - Muse- Outro (Stockholm Syndrome) HQ- Staples Center, LA- 9/26/10

I can definitely understand your feelings about the big spectacle thing, Axver-you can have all the whiz-bang flash you want, but there still has to be some sort of a connection to the crowd. But I'm glad you were able to find that with Muse-Matt may not wander into the crowd the way Bono does, he may not talk to the crowd a whole lot, but he, Dom, and Chris energize the crowd by being energetic themselves. They put themselves entirely into their performance, and have fun, and that feeling spreads.

Epic lulz at the loser casual fans beside us who sat down for Sunburn and then stood up for Eurasia. Eurasia! And they didn't know Time Is Running Out. Who the hell is willing to fork out $100 to see Muse and doesn't at least recognise TIRO? Admittedly though, I'm from the early fans group for whom TIRO is the "song the casuals will know" and I can't really get my head around them now being the "Supermassive Black Hole and Starlight band" (which were two of the three songs the casuals next to us knew word for word, the other being *shudder* Undisclosed Desires).

Heh, and I'm from the group of people who got into the band in 2007 through Black Holes. I personally don't care how somebody gets into a band-you can't always help, after all, how and when you hear certain artists-as long as they're fans, that's all I need to know. I do agree, though, that if you're going to spend that kind of money to see a band, you should be familiar with some of their bigger songs. It does seem odd that people at a Muse show wouldn't be familiar with "Time Is Running Out", at least, even casually. But eh, maybe they're very brand new fans, or maybe they were brought along by a friend who was a big fan or something. Who knows.

And I like "Undisclosed Desires". The lyrics...I'm a girl, I can't help it :wink:. But that's just me :p.

It would be awesome to hear a few more Showbiz songs, though, every now and again, I do agree. I'd kill to hear "Muscle Museum" live, that's one of my absolute favorites from the band. "Falling Down", too, as I've stated before. Hope you do get a chance sometime to hear some stuff you want, that'd be great :). Glad you enjoyed the show, too.

Angela

I don't like the whole big-spectacle-concert thing, it's too detached for my liking, but Muse pulled it off well, better than U2 have on 360 - mainly because Muse actually remember to rock, and got us going much more than we expected up in the stands.
QUOTE]

Saw Muse in Columbus back in October, and I completely agree with you! U2 play WAY too many slow songs these days. My only complaint about the Muse concert was that it was too short, not even an hour and a half! I would have happily stood there for another hour!

My concert marathon finished yesterday with a second Muse show at the Rod Laver Arena, in the squashiest moshpit I've ever been in :ohmy::crazy: I think that overall I enjoyed Tuesday night more, just because I could dance and groove without other people's elbows jammed into my kidneys, and while loud crowd singalongs are great I'd rather listen to Matt's singing. Still, great show and I did some proper headbanging and I do love watching the band up close. Matt's expressions when he was playing with the spinning shiny lightbox thing during the Knights intro were priceless :lol:

I left work at 4.00 pm and took a train to Richmond station, from which I walked to the arena. Once they let us inside the venue I grabbed a spot in the second row slightly to the left of the stage, which in retrospect was probably a mistake because at the previous shows I was always hanging around the far edge where the crowd tends to be much calmer.

- While waiting for the support act I spotted a guy wearing a replica of the red suit that Matt wore at the Wembley 2007 concert!

- Biffy Clyro were decent, but yeh gods what the hell was their singer wearing. He was topless and had bright pink pants on which sat low enough for his bum crack to peek out. NOT sexy :yuck:

- Once Uprising started everyone rushed towards the stage and from then on it was like sardines packed in a tin can. I was lucky enough to be able to hold on to the rail so I was pretty stable, I can't imagine what it would be like to be caught in the rows behind me :yikes: By the end of the show, at least three people got carried out of the moshpit by the security.

- We got Bliss, Butterflies & Hurricanes and Feeling Good! Bliss was surprisingly early in the set, too.

- Exogenesis is really a beautiful piece of music :love:

- At the end of Stockholm Syndrome Matt threw his guitar at the drum kit. That got people cheering but I think that Matt's guitars are too awesome to be thrown around, so my first thought was, oooh I hope it's not broken. Not very rock'n'roll I know :wink:

- It's a shame Matt doesn't smile more at the gigs, because he's got the most adorable childlike smile :cute:

- These past two weeks were the highlight of my concert-going life :drool::drool: I never imagined that I'd see my favourite two bands back-to-back!

Who is this Rod Laver character?

An Australian tennis player. Won 11 Grand Slam single events, nothing major really.

Wow glad you had such a great week! Sorry about the mosh pit.....the one downside to Muse shows. :(

Butterflies & Hurricanes :drool: One of my favorite piano tracks!

I hate when he throws his guitars, too! It worries the heck out of me! :lol:

- While waiting for the support act I spotted a guy wearing a replica of the red suit that Matt wore at the Wembley 2007 concert!

*Shallow moment:* Was he cute? */End shallow moment*

- Biffy Clyro were decent, but yeh gods what the hell was their singer wearing. He was topless and had bright pink pants on which sat low enough for his bum crack to peek out. NOT sexy :yuck:

:huh: Yeeeeah, that's hot.

By the end of the show, at least three people got carried out of the moshpit by the security.

And this is why I try and stay the hell away from moshpits. I'm glad you managed to avoid getting caught up in that craziness.

- At the end of Stockholm Syndrome Matt threw his guitar at the drum kit. That got people cheering but I think that Matt's guitars are too awesome to be thrown around, so my first thought was, oooh I hope it's not broken. Not very rock'n'roll I know :wink:

:lol: Forget breaking the instruments, I'd be more terrified he'd injure Dom or Chris. Or himself. He seems to have a bit of a history of doing that.

- It's a shame Matt doesn't smile more at the gigs, because he's got the most adorable childlike smile :cute:

Yeah, this ^^^^.

"Bliss" and "Feeling Good" :drool: (christ, the latter song was the sexiest moment at Red Rocks, experiencing that song live is just...ooooh. My sister, in her write-up of the show, said she half expected strippers to come out during it :p). Yay for getting such great songs!

I'm so glad you had a wonderful couple weeks, memories to last you a lifetime, no doubt :). Thanks for all the reviews and pictures, now go rest already!

Angela

Back
Top Bottom