MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great show yesterday :hyper:

Brisbane Entertainment Centre has to be the strangest large venue I've been to. It's a few good train stops away from the city centre, and to get there from the train station you have to walk through some kind of wild-looking park area. On the way back, there were frogs screaming loudly from the ditches everywhere; safe to say I've never left a concert accompanied by a frog choir.

After we were let through the main gate, had to wait for hour and a half to get inside the arena. My bum was still sore after last week's epic 7-hour queue for U2, so I was immensely happy to sit on a nice soft carpet instead of concrete, with the easily accessible toilets and drinks :) Once inside, I grabbed a great spot three rows away from the stage, on the right side. The difference between the GA audience for Muse and U2 was hilarious - I was surrounded by teenagers right, left and centre, lots of girls. Did spot a few "oldies" around as well though :wink:

The opening band, Dead Letter Circus, were ok but not really my cuppa, thankfully their set was very short. The main event started at around 9.10 pm; I had managed to avoid looking at the photos and videos of the tour too much prior to the concert, so the towers setup was a total novelty. I loved the dramatic way the curtains fell down just before Matt started to sing! Just like with the second U2 show, I mostly ended up watching the band rather than the spectacle, so I'm glad that I'll have a chance to see it from the distance later on.

- I love Exogenesis to death, but because it was the opening song I thought that its dreaminess and delicacy was drowned out by the excited screaming all around me. A big stomping song like Uprising would have worked better IMO.

- Right after Exo there was an awkward pause when something went wrong with Matt's ear piece and they had to fix the problem, Dom filled it with banter as well as he could.

- It felt a bit weird to have Knights as neither the opener nor the closer. Take A Bow is a fantastic closer in its own right, but when Knights close the show it just feels like everything has been building up to -that- riff and the massive release of energy.

- Sunburn was a really lovely surprise! Especially since I've never heard it live before.

- Another surprise was that I enjoyed United States of Eurasia the most out of all songs off The Resistance. It's not one of my biggest favourites on the album, but I felt that it was really effective live, especially when Matt's vocals explode with CAN BEEEE ONLY ONE!!!

- After seeing U2 and Muse shows so close together, I did feel the lack of interaction and general humanity at a Muse show more acutely than usual. But damn Matt is just so compelling to watch, introverted as he is, that any reservations are more like an afterthought.

...and on a more girly note, all the time I was watching Matt I was thinking, god you're just the cutest weird little thing ever, can I please take you home and keep you in a jar? :cute::cute:

- Loved the jam section with Dom and Chris. Chris wore his black-and-white striped suite and for once Matt wasn't the one with the weirdest clothes onstage :lol:

- The laser show during Undisclosed Desires and the eyeball baloons they released when Bliss was playing were heaps of fun. One of the eyeballs landed right over my head, these things are actually surprisingly hard to burst :)

I'll post some pics once I'm back in Melbourne :)

awesome!:applaud::hyper: I forgot you were going to this show! You got lucky for Brisbane2 cuz of the better setlist.. You are so lucky that you got Sunburn, CE,Bliss, B&H and MK.

can't wait to see your pics.

Saracene..

I love Exo, but yeah it just looked strange as an opener for the show. I guess you agree. It's much too soft with all of the screaming that accompanies the drop of the curtain. Generally Uprising has been opening, so it seems weird that they replaced it for Exo. :shrug:
I'm super jealous you got Sunburn, Citizen Erased, AND Butterflies and Hurricanes. Like, super duper oober jealous. :wink:
United States of Eurasia was the highlight of my shows, as well. :)

So glad you had a great time! Sounds like an awesome show! Hope the next one is just as fantastic, if not better. :D :yippie:

You're welcome, MoodyJ :).

it's called "Man with a Harmonica"

I quite like that opening. I think I asked this in our last thread on these guys-I'd be interested to know what inspired them to start using that, what the story behind that song bit is.

Saracene, whee, glad you had a great time! Looks like a pretty good setlist-I agree, though, "Knights" not being an opener or closer is a bit strange to imagine. Ah, well. Change is good. And I love that there was a nice mix of people of all sorts there, that's good to hear.

I got to hear "Sunburn" at the show I went to a few years back, so it's surprising to me that this seems to be a bit of a rarity this time around. No doubt "United States Of Eurasia" rocked-that's one of my favorite songs off The Resistance, I can only imagine what it'd be like to experience it live.

...and on a more girly note, all the time I was watching Matt I was thinking, god you're just the cutest weird little thing ever, can I please take you home and keep you in a jar? :cute::cute:

:lol: :yes: I hear that.

- Loved the jam section with Dom and Chris. Chris wore his black-and-white striped suite and for once Matt wasn't the one with the weirdest clothes onstage :lol:

- The laser show during Undisclosed Desires and the eyeball baloons they released when Bliss was playing were heaps of fun. One of the eyeballs landed right over my head, these things are actually surprisingly hard to burst :)

Cooooooool. Thanks for the review, look forward to seeing your pictures!

Love the Q & A with Matt. So fun to hear him talk so positively about U2 (here's to hoping Muse will be rocking it out well into their 40s, I can only imagine the music they'll be making then), makes me smile :). And I found his comment about being inspired for the next album by having the whole band living in the same area again like when they were kids pretty interesting. That'd be nice, be fun to see what came of that if it happens.

And this...

My long-term plan is to grow industrial hemp for making paper and material, but I haven't got 'round to that.

Any excuse, eh, Matt :wink:?

When I stop touring I'm going to hang around there for a while and start shearing sheep.

That image struck me really funny for some reason :giggle:.

Angela

Has any of the band ever given any indication that ALL of Exogenesis will ever be played live? The whole thing deserves to be heard.

Has any of the band ever given any indication that ALL of Exogenesis will ever be played live? The whole thing deserves to be heard.

they definitely talked about doing this in early interviews not too long after the release of TR but you know how it goes with that (hint: Bono is notorious for this), the boys are also like this.

I agree they should all be played live.:up:

Muse is (after U2 of course!) my favorite band this moment. Wish I could go see them in South America next year. Muse and U2 in one concert...:drool:

Muse is (after U2 of course!) my favorite band this moment. Wish I could go see them in South America next year. Muse and U2 in one concert...:drool:

I got to experience it 4 times last year when they opened up for U2. And it was pure heaven! A friend actually texted me the news when it was announced that they were opening and I so thought she was messing with me. I was gobsmacked,floored and over the moon at the news.

In an interview from back in May, I believe, Matt said that he was most proud of Exogenesis from this album and he would love to play the entire song, but Part 2 is really difficult for him to play. (shocking, right? :lol:) He said that Part 1 is pretty easy and Part 3 is very easy, so he joked that it would be great if he could just play those two parts, but that it would obviously be weird. So for now they just stick to playing Part 1, for Matt's sake. :wink:

awesome!:applaud::hyper: I forgot you were going to this show! You got lucky for Brisbane2 cuz of the better setlist.. You are so lucky that you got Sunburn, CE,Bliss, B&H and MK.

Well to be honest I'm not as crazy about CE, Bliss and MK Ultra as many Muse fans seem to be. I enjoyed them but I'd be just as happy to get, say, Map of the Problematique, Unnatural Selection and Feeling Good instead.

Now, if they play Sing For Absolution you'll hear my screaming from across the Atlantic :wink: I'm dying to hear it live.

I'd love to hear the entire Exogenesis one day but I just don't see it working in the context of a rock concert, it would stall the pace too much IMO and most people attending probably aren't prepared to take in 15 minutes of classical music. I could see it work if Muse put up some special performance with an orchestra where they concentrated solely on their classical side and maybe reworked some of their other songs as well to suit the occasion. That'd be pretty damn cool.

Well to be honest I'm not as crazy about CE, Bliss and MK Ultra as many Muse fans seem to be. I enjoyed them but I'd be just as happy to get, say, Map of the Problematique, Unnatural Selection and Feeling Good instead.

Nothing wrong with that :). Those are excellent songs as well :up:.

(I know what you mean, some people make it seem like it's some travesty if you don't go for the songs everyone fawns over. I myself love all those songs above, with a couple being particular personal favorites, but everyone's tastes are different and this is a good thing)

Now, if they play Sing For Absolution you'll hear my screaming from across the Atlantic :wink: I'm dying to hear it live.

I FREAKED and jumped up and down squealing when they played that song at Red Rocks :D. I love that song so much, and if I couldn't get "Blackout" (the one song I would KILL to hear live someday), that most certainly was the next best thing, no question. I hope you do get to hear that song live someday, it's such a lovely moment.

I'd love to hear the entire Exogenesis one day but I just don't see it working in the context of a rock concert, it would stall the pace too much IMO and most people attending probably aren't prepared to take in 15 minutes of classical music. I could see it work if Muse put up some special performance with an orchestra where they concentrated solely on their classical side and maybe reworked some of their other songs as well to suit the occasion. That'd be pretty damn cool.

Ooh. Yes! That would be neat-maybe you should pass that idea on to the guys :wink:?

I'd have no problem hearing the full thing, either, but you are right, depending on the crowd, some wouldn't be as into it as others. Shame, that, 'cause it really is a beautiful composition the whole way through (the third part being my personal favorite section-that piano in it is just heavenly and gorgeous beyond all reason :drool:). If they do figure out how to perform the whole thing, and do play it in its entirety live someday, there'd BETTER be video of it to witness.

Angela

...and on a more girly note, all the time I was watching Matt I was thinking, god you're just the cutest weird little thing ever, can I please take you home and keep you in a jar?
cute.gif
cute.gif

:giggle: This is so true.

:love: I would be in heaven, but I agree that it probably wouldn't work in the context of a face melting rock concert. I think a lot of people would be very confused. :huh:

I'd kill to see Exogenesis in full and Blackout. And Falling Away With You. :drool: Mellow show, FTW :up:
:yes:

Perhaps they mean "hottest", not just in terms of looks, but in terms of popularity? That's about the only explanation I can think of, 'cause "Keith Richards" and "hot" really should never have to be in the same sentence.

There are a couple other guys in that list I do personally agree with. But I still voted for Matt and Dom :).

Angela

I got to experience it 4 times last year when they opened up for U2. And it was pure heaven! A friend actually texted me the news when it was announced that they were opening and I so thought she was messing with me. I was gobsmacked,floored and over the moon at the news.

:shocked: Oh, you made me jealous!
Want to win the lottery. Right. Now.

Holy shiiiiiiiiit last night's Muse show at the Acer Arena was fucking awesome! :hyper::drool: Made the Brisbane concert look like a tame rehearsal in comparison. Even a couple of dumb drunk bogans I was sitting next to couldn't spoil it, at least they shut up amiably enough when I finally had enough and told them off.

I was at the arena at around 7.45 pm, when I walked out of the station I was greeted by a wonderful sunset and Black Holes & Revelations blasted from the speakers. Biffy Clyro were opening this time, I didn't mind the songs of theirs that I'd heard on the radio but I missed their entire set because I was stuck in a giant and verrry slow-moving merchandise queue. 40 minutes later I finally walked away with a couple of T-shirts, grabbed an overpriced wrap from the food stall and went to find my seat.

Next to the modest Brisbane venue Acer Arena felt absolutely huge! Turns out I was sitting on the third level to the right of the stage, in a second row. Because the third level was overhanging the lower section and the barrier in front was just tall enough to cover my ankles, I didn't have the nerve to stand up during the show because of the vision I had in my head of me tripping and plunging head first into the audience below :uhoh:

From the very start of the show I could tell that it was going to blow Monday night out of the water; I could just feel that there was a kind of connection between the band members and between the band and the audience that was missing at the last show. Matt spoke maybe three times during the whole gig, but he was just so into it and managed to interact with the audience in a non-verbal fashion, throwing cheesy rock gestures and spotlighting the crowd with his mirror guitar before Plug In Baby. After they played the final song you could tell that he didn't want to leave the stage, while Dom and Chris were bowing he was walking around with his guitar, playing random riffs. Dom and Chris also looked like they were having a ball, I'm surprised Chris' head didn't fall off after all that headbanging :D

- The setlist was more traditional, with Uprising as an opener, Exogenesis the first encore song and Knights of Cydonia closing the show. Yes mixing up things is all well and good but I just think that this order worked way way better than on Monday night. I was also very happy to hear the harmonica intro to Knights :hyper:

- They kept Citizen Erased and Sunburn and added New Born and Stockholm Syndrome. After the Big Day Out I was over the shock of not seeing Matt play the intro to New Born, so I could live with that.

- I could appreciate the light show better from my seat, and wow it looked absolutely amazing :ohmy: I look forward to reliving it with my Mum on the first Melbourne night!

- Matt played a good chunk of the Chopin piece that on the album closes United States of Eurasia. He also threw in the riff from AC/DC's Back in Black, and it was pretty awesome to hear the whole arena sing the first chorus of House of the Rising Sun.

Holy shiiiiiiiiit last night's Muse show at the Acer Arena was fucking awesome! :hyper::drool: Made the Brisbane concert look like a tame rehearsal in comparison. Even a couple of dumb drunk bogans I was sitting next to couldn't spoil it, at least they shut up amiably enough when I finally had enough and told them off.

:love: bogan? *jots this down to memory* I am glad you told them off and had an face melting experience last night. I am jealous but very happy for you!

Well.. I ordered my unofficial 2011 Muse Calendar the other day along with the U2 2011 Calendar.. Hehehe I will have one on one wall in my cubicle at work and the other on the other wall.. :nerd: I can't wait to get them!:hyper:

Back
Top Bottom