MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police" - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #766
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:22 AM
So, went to the MUSE show in Vienna last night. After being ill with sore throat, caughing like crazy and almost no voice for about a week, I knew it wouldn't be the best treatment to go to this show, but I enjoyed it anyway. Unfortunately, my symptoms got worse after the concert, not only because of singing and screaming, but because the air was really really bad, people smoking so much.

I enjoyed BLISS especially, because I adore the song and they didn't play it in Berlin where I saw them during the Resistence tour in 2009. It was Muse's first show in Vienna. Since I came a little late (Everything Everything were just starting to play the support set), I didn't get through to the middle and stayed at the side, but the view was good. Unfortunately, people at my side weren't very much into the show. I have no idea what was going on front stage, but where I was standing, a lot of people were talking and not really taking part in the show. Some were leaving earlier and some were complaining that they didn't know any songs which is ridiculous if you know a thing or two about Muse. Overall, it's the typical Vienna audience.

I enjoyed the show anyway and the visuals were great. I took some interesting pictures. The pyramid screen reminded me so much of U2.

The concert seemed kind of surreal, maybe because of the meds I was on The show was really great but again, like in 2009, I thought that the band was really very distant and didn't connect much with the audience. Matt was saying a word or two but over all there wasn't much interaction. Maybe I'm spoilt by U2, but I also know a lot of other bands who love to interact with the audience. Muse's show is great but somehow sterile.

Shame they didn't play Big Freeze, but they played Animal, which is amazing and of course Madness, a song that has really grown on me. I still don't get into Panic Station, but the visuals were great. Supremacy was awsome, I loved the song on the album and love it even more live.

During Madness Matt did a little Bono (at least that's the way I interpret it) with the futuristic shades and the visuals for Madness were really mad

Great show overall. Now I have to find my poor voice again.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #767
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:22 PM
Thanks for the review, last unicorn! Sorry about the crowd being meh and especially sorry to hear you've been under the weather-hope you get to feeling better soon! No doubt that would definitely affect the show a bit, but still, it looks like there were some good moments regardless, so yay for that .

Agreed on Muse and their interaction with the crowd-they do know how to whip the audience into a frenzy and can lead them in some chants or handclaps and stuff, but yeah, not the chattiest bunch, no. Eh, well, some artists are more skilled at talking with the crowd than others, I guess.

Look forward to seeing the pictures if/when you share them here!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #768
Blue Crack Addict

Apparently, Matt has broken his foot and a couple of Scandinavian shows had to be postponed

Now dates are out for outdoor/stadium plus arena shows for Europe in June/July 2013. I'm very tempted to go and see them in Barcelona since I will be there around that time, but I'm also thinking about Berlin
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #769
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Oh, crap, that sucks. Wonder how he did that?

Hope he heals up as soon as possible!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #770
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Oh, crap, that sucks. Wonder how he did that?

Hope he heals up as soon as possible!
silly matt was running barefoot on concrete and slipped.. lol Either he was chasing Kate or Bing..

from what the xray pic showed and was mentioned by muse.mu (he broke two bones, looked like his second toe and another in his right foot ) Considering how big his feet are this doesn't surprise me and was bound to happen..

they are resuming the tour on December 10th.. So he's a fast healer..

He tweeted that he thought about using a Segway to get around.. silly lad.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #771
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
I'd pay good money to see that.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #772
ONE
love, blood, life

Reminded me of that photoshopped pic of Bono in the Segway, back when U2360 was postponed.

Glad to know that Matt is healing, and that the tour restarts on Monday.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #773
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyJ View Post
I'd pay good money to see that.
me too..
Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #774
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
silly matt was running barefoot on concrete and slipped.. lol Either he was chasing Kate or Bing..

from what the xray pic showed and was mentioned by muse.mu (he broke two bones, looked like his second toe and another in his right foot ) Considering how big his feet are this doesn't surprise me and was bound to happen..

they are resuming the tour on December 10th.. So he's a fast healer..
Ahhh, I see. Eh, I'm kind of a klutz at times, too, I could see myself doing that-I did a pretty good number on my left foot once just slipping on the floor in my apartment! Didn't break anything, but I think I did dislocate a pinky toe and there was swelling and all that good stuff.

Still, though, ow *Winces*. He needs to learn to be careful out there! Good to hear that he's healing up quickly, though, and will be back up and going soon! Hope he takes it easy from here on out.

Quote:
I too would like to see that. That'd be entertaining.

By the way, on a totally different topic, don't know if anyone else here's seen the list of Grammy nominations, but Muse are up for a couple! One for best rock album, and another for...best rock single, I think. So congrats to them on that! Wonder if they'll play at the ceremony again next year?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #775
ONE
love, blood, life

saw muse in amsterdam a week or so ago. It was amazing, i was super pessimistic about just about every song of 2nd law. but seeing them live got me exited again. they gave a smashing performance, and the venue sound was crystal clear. They got great reviews and some newspapers even dared to call it the best performance of 2012. Matt was jumping of stage and walked past the front row shaking everyones hands during one song.
he was totally enjoying it, and so did the crowd.

l
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #776
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Kind of bummed I didn't go to Antwerp. Muse is one of those bands I'd loved to have seen a few years ago. I still want to see them now but not for €50+. Also criminal they're not playing both New Born and Stockholm Syndrome. And then teasing the crowd like that...

All that said, I listened to The Resistance for the first time in ages today and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Undisclosed Desires is actually a nice tune. Maybe it's just because The 2nd Law was so disappointing.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #777
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, they're not playing those songs? That's kind of surprising.

I still love The Resistance. I think there's lots of good stuff on there. And I like The 2nd Law, too, the more I listen to it.

Glad you had a good time at your show, domo-kun, and that the reviews were so positive .
Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #778
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Wow, they're not playing those songs? That's kind of surprising.
They do, but one each night. They rotate them. Apparently there's some kind of roulette on screen to decide/show which one they'll play.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #779
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post

Kind of bummed I didn't go to Antwerp. Muse is one of those bands I'd loved to have seen a few years ago. I still want to see them now but not for €50+. Also criminal they're not playing both New Born and Stockholm Syndrome. And then teasing the crowd like that...

All that said, I listened to The Resistance for the first time in ages today and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Undisclosed Desires is actually a nice tune. Maybe it's just because The 2nd Law was so disappointing.
I agree with the tickets being too expensive. Seeing they are not yet playing Stadiums, I find it weird that they are asking more than €60
for fucking field tickets.

They played new born in amsterdam, and yes its a roulette system.
And funnily enough talking "new" albums, one of the prettiest live songs on the set IMHO is Resistance. And Panic Station is fucking smashing.

I saw them a couple of yeas ago on Rock Werchter,
and believe me , don't be bummed about not seeing them earlier,
they are much better now. The Werchter gig wasn't very impressive, setlist wise , and performance wise.
The crowd there was great though,I love Belgian parties.

Excuse me for my bad grammar. I'm Dutch and still learning.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #780
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I was hoping they'd come to Werchter as headliner. That would be ideal for me.