MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police" - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #676
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:54 AM
No, I think just about everything on The Resistance sucked outside of the lead material.

United States of Eurasia has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard if you neglect the musical composition and deal with the lyrics and vocals alone.

The cheesy guitar on Guiding Light that's some mega-overplayed Queen song (as with most of the guitar on the tracks below it).

I Belong to You... same shit. Bohemian Rhapsody spit on by Muse.

That album as an album is terrible.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #677
ONE
love, blood, life

And for the record, I like Knights of Cydonia. It's done right.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #678
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:54 PM
I believe that Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations are as fine a trio of albums that any band has ever released. I like the last 2 albums fairly well, but feel that they're a little weird and harder to digest.

Then I realize that 2001-2006, the years those 3 albums were released, was when I was in my late teens/early 20s, which I believe is when people absorb the most music, and when their tastes are defined. I imagine it must be like how U2 fans of the 80s felt once they heard Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I can appreciate that Resistance and 2nd law are good, but it'll never be the Muse I got into in the mid 00's.

For the record, I've never really given Showbiz a listen. I guess I just never got around to it. I should do that soon.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #679
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:54 AM
It's refreshing to hear a band that's not afraid to experiment and change it up a bit. I like the album.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #680
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Am I the only Muse fan in the world who actually hates Knights of Cydonia? I just think it's way cheesy (even if it is Muse we're talking about here...) On the plus side, my dislike of the song means I've been able to get a good jump on exiting the show before the crowd the past couple of tours...
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #681
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:54 AM
I'd say you're certainly in a minority.

But that's cool. We've all got our preferences. For instance, I like Origin of Symmetry, I think there's many great songs on there (including "Bliss", which is one of my all-time favorite Muse songs), but at the same time, it's an album I find I have to be in the mood for. It's not one I listen to as regularly as their other albums.

And yet I know there are people who rave about Origin as their best album ever, and aren't as into their latter stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Then I realize that 2001-2006, the years those 3 albums were released, was when I was in my late teens/early 20s, which I believe is when people absorb the most music, and when their tastes are defined. I imagine it must be like how U2 fans of the 80s felt once they heard Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I can appreciate that Resistance and 2nd law are good, but it'll never be the Muse I got into in the mid 00's.
Good analysis, especially with the U2 thing-I think Muse is at the point where that comparison definitely applies to them.

I got into Muse in 2007, through Black Holes & Revelations, so I think that's part of the reason why I enjoy their latter works so much. But while I might have my favorite albums or songs, like I said before, I'm also one who can find things to like from every era of my favorite artists' career. Some people, however, have their preferences for one time period over another.

And LuckyNumber and I shall just have to agree to disagree on the Resistance songs discussed. To me, "United States of Eurasia" is fun, "Guiding Light" is the sort of '80s cheese that is right up my alley, and "I Belong to You" (which I personally think has been the most "fish out of water" song for the band to date)...I just adore it. It's so hilarious and strange and yet there's something about it I can't help but love.

We're in agreement on "Undisclosed Desires", though.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #682
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post

United States of Eurasia has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard if you neglect the musical composition and deal with the lyrics and vocals alone.
This pretty much describes most of their songwriting.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #683
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Instrumental versions? Hmmm. I may have to give that a listen as well, I'd like to hear that.
Check your messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaco View Post
About 'Madness': The first 3/4 of the song is very, very boring. I do enjoy the last part
I like everything after the guitar solo. I'm not too keen on anything prior to that.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #684
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
if you're not a paranoid-delusional they're not going to have any emotional resonance with you.
Well I wouldn't say that Matt's lyrics have much emotional resonance with me (but then few lyrics actually do). But I could think of a few Muse songs that do move me emotionally in terms of music and vocals. Like Exogenesis for instance.

I have to say that I don't get the adoration of Origin of Symmetry at all. Yes, Bliss, Plug in Baby and New Born are Muse classics - I wasn't surprised to hear in one interview that these three songs formed the backbone of the album when they were writing it. Feeling Good is a cool cover and Citizen Erased is pretty good. The rest, to me, is just not that strong.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #685
ONE
love, blood, life

I hate to bring it up again but does anyone actually like "United States of Eurasia"?

Does anyone else have the same feeling about that song as I do?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #686
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:54 AM
Well, I mentioned I liked that song earlier, yeah, but Saracene and I seem to be in the minority on liking that album in general, so I'm sure there's probably some around here who would agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
I have to say that I don't get the adoration of Origin of Symmetry at all. Yes, Bliss, Plug in Baby and New Born are Muse classics - I wasn't surprised to hear in one interview that these three songs formed the backbone of the album when they were writing it. Feeling Good is a cool cover and Citizen Erased is pretty good. The rest, to me, is just not that strong.
I'm also partial to "Dark Shines" and "Megalomania", and like it a little more than you do, but still, glad to not be alone again in not picking this one as the best regardless .
Old 10-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #687
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I hate to bring it up again but does anyone actually like "United States of Eurasia"?
I didn't particularly care for it when it was first released, but it's really grown on me since and surprisingly it was my favourite live song off The Resistance. The Queen bit still gives me a good giggle every time I hear the song
Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #688
Refugee

I like The Resistance and United States Of Eurasia a lot.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #689
War Child

Local Time: 05:54 AM
I thought Muse had enormous potential up through Black Holes, but the Resistance album was weak and now 2nd Law is really just crappy with the exception of the one single "Madness" which sounds just ok. I disagree they've totally ditched the "Queen" vide/sound - some of the tracks including Madness remind me of "Hot Space" era Queen crossed w/"Numb." I will admit when I saw them on their last tour a couple years ago, it was one of the best, most enjoyable arena rawk productions I'd seen since U2's ZooTV tour in '92.

IMO, the best album of 2012 so far has been between Killing Joke's MMXII" and the new Van Halen album.

T.B.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #690
ONE
love, blood, life

I think other than the tail end of The 2nd Law, it's a good album. Certainly better than The Resistance, of which my opinion is much similar to your opinion of The 2nd Law.