MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police" - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #646
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Ah, no wonder.

Sometimes it's good to have low expectations, I probably enjoyed it overall more than I do the last one. I'll definitely pick it up some time this week.

Am I the only person who likes Unsustainable? It actually is one of my favorites on first listen.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #647
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I like "Unsustainable", too. That was one I wasn't sure on at first when it was released a few months back-loved the dramatic opening strings and such, wasn't sure on the guitar part, but my opinion's changed since then and now I think it sounds kinda cool-I like the robotic voice. Hearing it within the context of the album helps a lot, too.

And as many have noted here, there is no doubt these songs are going to be amazing live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Yeah, the other songs from Showbiz aren't particularly bad, just not the type of things I really want to hear again. Compared to the rest of their catalog, for me at least, it seems like the most inconsistent album they've done. I'll take the unpopular songs from Resistance to it any day.
Exactly. Well said.

I will say this, though-the piano version of "Cave" is absolutely gorgeous.

And I agree with Saracene, too, about their rock side-I do like some of the songs in her list, and they have indeed put out some kickass straight up rock songs ("Hysteria", "Knights of Cydonia", "Time is Running Out", etc.). But like I said before, I love their piano and dramatic orchestral side as well. That's the biggest thing I love about Absolution, lots of piano-led songs and there's a real dark beauty to it that I adore.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #648
Refugee

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Am I the only person who likes Unsustainable? It actually is one of my favorites on first listen.
I like Unsustainable, and preferred it to the first two releases, Survival and Madness. The instrumental version of T2L songs is floating around, but I haven't had a chance to download them yet.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #649
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Instrumental versions? Hmmm. I may have to give that a listen as well, I'd like to hear that. I think if there's a big weakness on this album, it's definitely in the lyrics. Some of the songs aren't too bad, and I know people have said the band's lyrics aren't their strong point in general and that's not why most people listen to them, and all of that is true. But I do think previous albums have had some better ones overall.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #650
Refugee

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Just finished listening to this album and I really liked it on a first listen. Didn't disappoint as I initially thought it would. I think it has a sound of it's own and yet it still sounds like Muse and nothing else. I loved the new sound on tracks like Panic Station. And I found it really refreshing to hear a couple of tracks with Chris's vocals.

Also, I don't understand why so many muse fans or people in general always wish that they would make an album that would be reminiscent of their earlier albums, I wouldn't be expecting or be excited for a new album from any band that did the same album 10 times. I love Absolution because it sounds like Absolution.

And would someone be kind enough to tell me what does "OTT" mean?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #651
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando- View Post
Just finished listening to this album and I really liked it on a first listen. Didn't disappoint as I initially thought it would. I think it has a sound of it's own and yet it still sounds like Muse and nothing else. I loved the new sound on tracks like Panic Station. And I found it really refreshing to hear a couple of tracks with Chris's vocals.
Yeah, the Chris songs are really interesting to hear. I wonder if this'll become a thing or if this is just something he wanted to try once?

Glad you're liking it so far .

Quote:
Also, I don't understand why so many muse fans or people in general always wish that they would make an album that would be reminiscent of their earlier albums, I wouldn't be expecting or be excited for a new album from any band that did the same album 10 times. I love Absolution because it sounds like Absolution.
I think this about any artist I like. Sure, I'll sometimes hear echoes of an artist's older work in their new stuff-every musician has a "bread and butter" sound, so to speak, so it's only natural that you'll hear songs that make you go, "Hey, that kinda sounds like a song from this album!" or something.

But yeah, to do exact repeats over and over, that I don't get at all. What's the point?

Quote:
And would someone be kind enough to tell me what does "OTT" mean?
"Over the top", I'm guessing. Unless there's some other phrase that alludes to that I'm not familiar with.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #652
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:50 AM
What do you think about the new Muse album?

I love Muse almost as much as U2 (I said almost....) and I was wondering how you like the new one "The 2nd Law".

The 2nd song Madness could be a perfect U2 song, almost scary how it is similar to U2's arrangement and sound (even voice). The end of the song in particular....

Besides that, I don't like this album, besides 2 songs maybe. Very disappointed. Origin of Symetry stays my favourite Muse album without a doubt.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #653
The Male

Local Time: 05:50 PM
I would say this thread is in the wrong section, but this is basically a new U2 song:

Muse - Big Freeze Lyrics Video - YouTube

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #654
Blue Crack Addict

Why is this U2 related?

Except, maybe, that "Big Freeze" has some Edge-ish guitar work. Apart from that: It's an ok album, better than "Resistance", worse than "Origins". But then again, every Muse album is worse than "Origins"
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #655
Refugee

About 'Madness': The first 3/4 of the song is very, very boring. I do enjoy the last part

Haven't heard the rest of the album.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #656
Blue Crack Addict

Supremacy sounds like "Come with me", but it's a great opening track. "Big Freeze" is very U2-ish. Most of the stuff sounds like Queen, but that's nothing new. Sometimes I wish Muse would make their references to other bands less obvious. I like the album, it has great moments, but over all I think it's not very coherent. The first half of the record connects to me much more than the second half. The biggest suprise to me is "Madness", because I didn't like it when it first came out but now I tend to think it's one of the best songs on that album.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #657
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:50 PM
To me, there are two Muses, one I like and one I don't. The one I like disappeared without a trace after Absolution.

That said, the two songs by Chris on The 2nd Law are decent enough that I'm inclined to suggest Matthew Over-Emoting Bellamy should be just left to play guitar/piano. Then the good Muse might come back.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #658
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
Why is this U2 related?

Except, maybe, that "Big Freeze" has some Edge-ish guitar work. Apart from that: It's an ok album, better than "Resistance", worse than "Origins". But then again, every Muse album is worse than "Origins"
First half of Resistance is pretty good to me.....
Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #659
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:20 AM
I've never listened to Muse with any kind of intention, but you'd better believe I'm curious about this new album.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #660
Galeonbroad

I'm right now a bit neutral about it. Resistance had a couple duds, but the title track was amazing. This new album... what the fuck is up with that dubstep bullshit?

Supremacy and Liquid State are brilliant, sound a wee bit like old Muse. But the rest is a bit... questionable.

Don't quite see the U2 links though. Perhaps you're better off in Bang & Clatter.

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote