MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police" - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #616
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:33 AM
Agh, times like this I wish I had an iTunes account!

I'm anxious to hear about U.S. tour dates, too. I've already got a friend pestering me and asking when we'll hear about those (she's liked the couple songs she's heard by Muse in the past, and I made her a couple Muse mix CDs recently, so she can get to know them better and have more familiarity with their music by the time we do go see them in concert, if we get to do so). I definitely want to go see them again, and I'm excited about the idea of bringing my friends along so they can see how awesome these guys are in concert. Given their music tastes and whatnot, I have no doubt they would have an excellent time.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #617
Blue Meth Addict

Muse: The 2nd Law < PopMatters

Ouch. I'll still get it regardless, but I'm pretty much expecting to be disappointed at this point.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #618
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post

Ouch. I'll still get it regardless, but I'm pretty much expecting to be disappointed at this point.
did you see the itunes festival stream yesterday? Go check it out. It's archived now. Muse - Live at the Itunes Festival 2012 30.09.12 - YouTube

new songs are pretty good live.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #619
Blue Meth Addict

I didn't. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #620
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I didn't. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

you are welcome.. enjoy.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #621
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:

Well, anyone pining for Absolution and the early days in general is not going to like the new record for sure.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #622
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Well, anyone pining for Absolution and the early days in general is not going to like the new record for sure.

I kinda feel sometimes that some Muse fans actually love two completely separate bands.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #623
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:33 AM
Pitchfork's weighed in - man, is that review hard to wade through (as are many of their reviews), but it could have been far worse...

Muse: The 2nd Law | Album Reviews | Pitchfork
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #624
Blue Meth Addict

Crazy, their review is more positive than Popmatters. Wondering if I should hit this up on Spotify before buying it. I hate to not buy a Muse album, but it's not like I don't already have more than enough music I want to listen to more.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #625
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Got it today. Have to say, mixed feelings. Tracks like Supremacy and Liquid State are absolutely amazing, but then there's Panic Station, Survival and the dubstep shit that ruin it.

I love the good songs, but could've done without the last two tracks. I'll see how the songs will grow on me.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #626
The Male

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Critics are being extremely kind, I think. Doesn't deserve the 72 it has on metacritic, though they haven't added Pitchfork's review yet.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #627
ONE
love, blood, life

Have to listen. Madness turned out nice.

I like the album title a lot. Hopefully those aren't the only two things I like
Old 10-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #628
Blue Crack Addict

I could care less about what the critics are saying. If I like, love the songs (which are not the entire album)then that's all that matters.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #629
ONE
love, blood, life

Agreed. Kinda the way I feel about the new Killers album, in reverse. Well, I like it, but I don't understand the acclaim.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #630
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post

I kinda feel sometimes that some Muse fans actually love two completely separate bands.
Which is odd, because there are some moments on the album where I do hear echoes of Absolution and Origin of Symmetry. Hell, I even hear things that remind me a bit of their music from the Hullabaloo CD.

I definitely agree with your second sentence. Muse has changed their sound up so much over the years, there's definitely a dividing line in terms of preference. Me, I happen to like each new "era" or sound or whatever, but I'm like that with every artist I love .

I also generally take critics' opinions on this band with a grain of salt, because I often get the feeling when I read reviews from professional critics that they either aren't very familiar with Muse's music in general and don't realize that over the top and bombastic is what the band does, or they just aren't into that style of music overall and so they're automatically turned off. These two reviews linked here don't seem to be like that, though, and make some interesting points-this line from the Pitchfork one actually made me laugh a bit:

Quote:
And titans shall clash as Bellamy speaks with the conviction of a man who is either going to tell us they'll never take our freedom or to release the kraken.
I'm also glad that the PopMatters review noted that the Radiohead comparisons are kinda old now-the two bands are so far apart in sound, so it's definitely time to put those comparisons to rest now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
I could care less about what the critics are saying. If I like, love the songs (which are not the entire album)then that's all that matters.
Agreed. There are things I definitely love about this album right off the bat ("Madness", "Follow Me", "Explorers", "Isolated System"-definite favorites), and there's things I've been going back and forth on a bit. But the more I listened when previewing the songs last week, the more it grows on me, which I figured would happen.

Also, regarding the reviews...so am I alone in sticking up for The Resistance? I really do still like that album a lot.