MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police" - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #601
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:28 AM
Oooh, ooh, I wanna go, too! *Jumps up and down*

Okay, so I caved . Couldn't help it, I read all the gushing and commentary and just had to listen. Unfortunately, I don't have an iTunes account, so I couldn't hear it there, but the songs are up on YouTube, so I listened to them there instead.

First off...okay, "Panic Station". Cracks. Me. The. Hell. Up. Seriously, just...what? I can hear the "Superstition" comparison xaviMF shared, but I also weirdly get a bit of a late '80s Oingo Boingo vibe of sorts from it (go listen to the song "Elevator Man" from their album Boi-Ngo and tell me I'm wrong). It's even more dance-oriented than "Supermassive Black Hole" (and who knew that was possible?) and the counting thing will be fun to sing along with, but my god, it really threw me for a loop when I heard it. But I get the feeling it's going to worm its way into my head in no time-I'm already kinda itching to hear it again.

(Yep. Listening again and I'm already tapping my feet and humming along. Dammit, this is ridiculously catchy.)

"Supremacy"-oh, god, the strings on this song, I am so in love with those strings . Very, VERY Bond-esque, indeed, if this song isn't on the soundtrack to the next Bond film or some other similar sort of action film, there is a soundtrack composer out there who should be fired . Lyrics are kinda goofy, but that music is fantastic and I like it.

I'm particularly fond of "Explorers" (PRETTY! Lots of piano and strings, and those being featured in a Muse song always make me happy. Others here mentioned wanting to hear Muse rock more, and that's always good, no argument there, but I've always been partial to the piano and orchestral side of the band, so songs like this make me go "Yay!"). And "Follow Me" is lovely as well, and that brings me to another thing here-wow, has Matt's voice changed a LOT or what? He sounds much lower and deeper on "Follow Me" and I...kinda like it. Again, bringing it back to the Oingo Boingo thing here, his voice is sounding kinda Elfman-esque at times on some of these songs and I find that really interesting. And "Isolated System"-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Me like. A LOT (and "Unsustainable" sounds even better in the context of the album. I like that song a lot more now).

As for Chris' moment on the album-I like the music in "Save Me" better, but think Chris particularly sounds good vocally on "Liquid State". Go figure .

Veeeeeeeeeeeery interesting album. This one is definitely going to take a few listens to properly wrap my head around. And these songs are definitely going to be even better in a live setting, I just know it.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #602
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyJ

I can't express how in love I am with Supremacy and Panic Station. Overall, I am quite pleased with T2L.

Shove over lady, and make room for me.
Hehe! Sorry no room for u, get ur own. J/k.

Love those songs too! And panic station is Funkadelic! Love it!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #603
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:28 AM
The overall album is very Queen-ish (as in the band) to me when they are not being Muse-ish. But two of the songs are very U2-ish...the previously discussed Madness, but Big Freeze also has U2 elements written all over it. And I heard what you sang there, Matt.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #604
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Artist View Post
but Big Freeze also has U2 elements written all over it. And I heard what you sang there, Matt.
You're referring to the "electrical storm" bit, right ? Hehe. I love the whole "driving on an open road" feel of that song.

"Panic Station" pretty much owns me now. Yep.

EDIT: LOL, just saw the comments about that song on YouTube. One person said:

Quote:
Queen and Franz Ferdinand had a child together and it was this song.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #605
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Panic Station is so much fun. And the live version sounds even better. I really can't wait to hear these new songs live. I think they will work better than The Resistance did, Uprising excepted.

On the Muse forums, Big Freeze is one of the least popular songs because it sounds like U2. Hee.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #606
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, no doubt that one's going to be a blast in a live setting. I think you're right about the difference between the two albums, too.

LOL. Muse fans can be funny sometimes. Any artist I like wants to get in touch with its inner U2, I have no problem with that whatsoever .
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #607
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
You're referring to the "electrical storm" bit, right ? Hehe. I love the whole "driving on an open road" feel of that song.

"Panic Station" pretty much owns me now. Yep.

EDIT: LOL, just saw the comments about that song on YouTube. One person said:

Quote:
Queen and Franz Ferdinand had a child together and it was this song.
Yep, Electrical Storm...gives me a chuckle every time I hear it.

And I had almost the same reaction to Panic Station - going back and forth between whether it sounds more like Queen or Franz Ferdinand - so that YouTube poster nailed it!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #608
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
On the Muse forums, Big Freeze is one of the least popular songs because it sounds like U2. Hee.
I wondered what the consensus was over there, and it is exactly as expected. I have seen it referred to as A Big Cheeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
LOL. Muse fans can be funny sometimes. Any artist I like wants to get in touch with its inner U2, I have no problem with that whatsoever .
Neither do I. The U2 sound is probably why I do like it.

Quote:
I always smile when I hear that line.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #609
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Same here. I think that's kinda cool, actually .

Quote:
And I had almost the same reaction to Panic Station - going back and forth between whether it sounds more like Queen or Franz Ferdinand - so that YouTube poster nailed it!
I hadn't heard the Franz Ferdinand thing until that comment, and now I can't unhear it . But again, that's okay, 'cause I love Franz Ferdinand. And Queen is cool, too. So a mix of the two sounds works for me.

I'm also starting to hear a slight late '80s INXS thing in spots, too, for some reason. I dunno. There's things about the song that just SCREAM "late '80s" to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyJ View Post
Neither do I. The U2 sound is probably why I do like it.
Haha, hey, same here. If a band likes U2, cites them as an influence, has a similar sound, my interest tends to be automatically piqued. That's how it is with any of my favorite artists, actually.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #610
Blue Crack Addict

Muse covering Prince's Sign of the times!

Muse Sign Of The Times (BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge 28/09/2012) - YouTube
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #611
Blue Crack Addict

full audio of their BBC Radio 1 performance

Muse - BBC RADIO 1 - 28/09/2012 - YouTube

Old 09-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #612
Blue Crack Addict

Here's the video of this morning's performance

Muse Live Lounge Special - YouTube

Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #613
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, cool, thanks for the clips! I'll try and give them a listen either tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Really curious to hear that Prince cover .
Old 09-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #614
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel
Oh, cool, thanks for the clips! I'll try and give them a listen either tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Really curious to hear that Prince cover .
The performance was great especially the Prince cover of Sign of the times. Pretty damn cool. And I am loving Follow Me! Omg
Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #615
Blue Crack Addict

that itunes festival stream today was awesome! New songs really take off live. I can't wait for the announcement of US tour dates!