MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police" - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #541
Refugee

Local Time: 06:53 AM
I've now listened to Madness several times. It's definitely better than anything on The Resistance.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #542
Refugee

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I too have a feeling a lot of the songs on this album could be the kind that grow on you-like I said, that's not an uncommon thing with these guys. Some songs you love immediately, others it takes a few listens before you go, "Okay, yeah, this is pretty cool.
Yep, I suspect that may very well be the case. While I'm not in love with Madness, I didn't scream "OMG, what kind of crap is this?" I consider that promising.

I've seen comparisons to U2, Prince and George Michael, and I do hear elements of each in Madness. It could be worse.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #543
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Good call, bollox, I would LOVE to hear them do "The Fly" . That would kick ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Artist View Post
Why do you think he wasn't being serious? Is there (true, not press manufactured) bad blood there?
No, actually by all accounts they seem to respect and like each other. I seem to remember hearing something once about Chris Martin being influenced by a song on one of Muse's albums, he liked the organ sound they used on it or something, and wanted a similar thing for one of Coldplay's songs. And there's video from some early festival Muse were at back in, like, 2000, I think, where Matt told the crowd to check out Coldplay at some point, 'cause they were good. I'm not sure what U2Fanatic means with that, either, but eh, well.

Also, further confirmation of the U2 vibe:

Muse | Muse Influenced By U2 | Contactmusic

As I said in the "now playing" thread, I cannot stop listening to "Madness". It has wormed its way into my head . Cool to see Chris Martin likes it, too.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #544
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyJ View Post
Yep, I suspect that may very well be the case. While I'm not in love with Madness, I didn't scream "OMG, what kind of crap is this?" I consider that promising.

I've seen comparisons to U2, Prince and George Michael, and I do hear elements of each in Madness. It could be worse.
Mmhm. Exactly. I'm looking forward to it, will be fun to finally hear everyone's thoughts on the album when it comes out.

Plus, sometimes these songs sound even better live, too. I wasn't sure about the song "Invincible" when I first heard it, but then when I saw it performed live I definitely found a new appreciation for the song and now I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
I've now listened to Madness several times. It's definitely better than anything on The Resistance.
I listened to that album last night.

I still really like it, myself. I think it holds up pretty well and there's some great songs on there *Shrugs*.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #545
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
As I said in the "now playing" thread, I cannot stop listening to "Madness". It has wormed its way into my head
I've had the ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma stuck on repeat in my head most of the day today.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #546
Blue Crack Addict

Haha, yes.

You know what part of the song I've decided I particularly love? Towards the end, when Matt's singing the whole, "Come to me..." bit-the whole song just suddenly gets this bright, shimmery, ethereal glow about it that makes it sound incredibly pretty.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #547
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Good call, bollox, I would LOVE to hear them do "The Fly" . That would kick ass.

No, actually by all accounts they seem to respect and like each other. I seem to remember hearing something once about Chris Martin being influenced by a song on one of Muse's albums, he liked the organ sound they used on it or something, and wanted a similar thing for one of Coldplay's songs. And there's video from some early festival Muse were at back in, like, 2000, I think, where Matt told the crowd to check out Coldplay at some point, 'cause they were good. I'm not sure what U2Fanatic means with that, either, but eh, well.

Also, further confirmation of the U2 vibe:

Muse | Muse Influenced By U2 | Contactmusic

As I said in the "now playing" thread, I cannot stop listening to "Madness". It has wormed its way into my head . Cool to see Chris Martin likes it, too.
some Muse fans think his comment was a practical joke but maybe its true.. and not alot are fans of Coldplay either. ( I am though). Musers are always joking around as is the band so these things that could get posted could be fake. I think its legit tho. That's what I was getting at..
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #548
Blue Crack Addict

so keane is also praising Madness..

Quote:
Keane ‏@keaneofficial
The new @muse single has completely restored my faith in British music. It's been on repeat for (literally) two days now. Buy it! Jesse
Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #549
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:53 AM
If Keane and Coldplay like something, it must be good.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #550
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
some Muse fans think his comment was a practical joke but maybe its true.. and not alot are fans of Coldplay either. ( I am though). Musers are always joking around as is the band so these things that could get posted could be fake. I think its legit tho. That's what I was getting at..
Gotcha. Yeah, I had a feeling you might've been referring to it possibly being a joke or something, 'cause your reasoning certainly makes sense. Thanks for expanding on it, though .

I like both bands, too. It's always neat to hear comments from other artists about a band's work-they often seem more open about all kinds of music than the fans do sometimes.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #551
Refugee

Quote:
Plus, sometimes these songs sound even better live, too. I wasn't sure about the song "Invincible" when I first heard it, but then when I saw it performed live I definitely found a new appreciation for the song and now I like it.
That is a good point. At the very least at lot of songs are more tolerable live, unless they're not... *cough* Neutron Star Collision *cough*...

Quote:
so keane is also praising Madness..
Yes, I saw that tweet earlier.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #552
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyJ

That is a good point. At the very least at lot of songs are more tolerable live, unless they're not... *cough* Neutron Star Collision *cough*...

Yes, I saw that tweet earlier.
U said that out loud? Lol referring to NSC of course.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #553
Refugee

Quote:
U said that out loud? Lol referring to NSC of course.
That one falls into the not tolerable live under any circumstances category.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #554
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think NSC would be tolerable if it wasn't for those god-awful lyrics. I mean, lyrics were never Matt's strong point and at best they're just average, but this song is just... abominably bad.

Madness is a proof that Matt can write a love song with lyrics that don't make me want to throw up.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #555
Blue Crack Addict

The lyrics to "Starlight" are rather nice, too, I think.

"Neutron Star Collision" isn't one of their top songs, no, but eh, I don't mind it *Shrugs*. I just mainly find the music in it pretty more than anything.