MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like Matt Bellamy when I read this thread. There has to be some conspiracy behind people enjoying 2nd Law.

I've been listening to the album quite a lot over the last few days. Supremacy is an awesome opener and IMO a much better Bond theme than that new Adele song. Still like Madness a great deal and Panic Station is just the funkiest thing they've ever done, love that song to death. I didn't hate Survival like many have, but I'm amazed to find how much more enjoyable it is in the context of the album, it's like it needed to be surrounded by fellow Museness to make sense and even Matt's terrible lyrics don't bother me. Follow Me is pretty good. Animals is another big favourite - I think there's a really beautiful clean feel to the song and I love Matt's guitar on this. Like many Muse fans I don't much like the R-word being brought into the discussion, but I admit that this song vaguely reminded me of Radiohead.

At first I thought that Explorers was a bit too "twinkle twinkle little star" but it's grown on me a lot and the gloomy lyrics make it feel a tad less twinkly. I can't say I hear much U2 in Big Freeze. Chris' songs.... eh I'm sure that Chris is a lovely fellow and all but I could have lived without them. Save Me is the better of the two and is quite dreamy and pretty, if a bit too long and repetitive in places. But Liquid State sounds like a boring generic alt-rock song with generic vocals (sorry Chris) and just feels out of place - a strange thing to say about a completely schizophrenic album but there's something muffled about the production that makes it feel at odds with the rest. And it just makes me appreciate how vital Matt's vocals are to the Muse sound. Overall, these last four songs is where the album quality drops for me, but then things improve again with The 2nd Law. The dubstep bits are still a bit of a tough listen but I dig the apocalyptic drama of Unsustainable. And Isolated System makes me think of some kind of gentle end of the world, like the universe slowly winding down and then stopping, just really haunting and evocative and depressing in a good way :D

I think the album will be below The Resistance and Black Holes for me, but still there's lots of stuff to love on it and I look forward to hearing the new songs live.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, Explorers' similarity to Invincible really comes in around the 4-minute mark. I listened to Black Holes again recently, which might explain me finding similarities there.

Ah, okay :D. Yeah, I'll play both songs back to back, check that out, then. And you're welcome!

I agree with you, Saracene, on the Chris songs-I like them, particularly "Save Me", but yeah, "Liquid State"'s music is, eh, okay. I just wonder if Chris will do any more singing in the future or if he'll be like Edge and just pop up on the occasional song :p.

And I definitely agree with you on the whole "surrounded by Museness" thing. These songs generally do tend to sound much better all together-a couple can stand alone, but the album is best heard and makes the most sense as a whole. Great analysis of all the songs.

WOOHOO! Thanks!

March 7th-Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I get paid on Friday and it says the tickets will be on sale the next day. Perfect timing. Okay, marking those dates down, then.

Ah, okay :D. Yeah, I'll play both songs back to back, check that out, then. And you're welcome!

I agree with you, Saracene, on the Chris songs-I like them, particularly "Save Me", but yeah, "Liquid State"'s music is, eh, okay. I just wonder if Chris will do any more singing in the future or if he'll be like Edge and just pop up on the occasional song :p.

And I definitely agree with you on the whole "surrounded by Museness" thing. These songs generally do tend to sound much better all together-a couple can stand alone, but the album is best heard and makes the most sense as a whole. Great analysis of all the songs.

WOOHOO! Thanks!

March 7th-Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I get paid on Friday and it says the tickets will be on sale the next day. Perfect timing. Okay, marking those dates down, then.

if you are registered as a member of their site before 10/8 u can get in on the presales that are on tuesday 10/9. No cost to join.

there are several shows I want to do.. and have to decide by tuesday. :huh:

still waiting on MD/DC/VA dates.:angry:

if you are registered as a member of their site before 10/8 u can get in on the presales that are on tuesday 10/9. No cost to join.

Ah, cool, thanks for the tip! I am signed up, but depending on how much they are I don't know if I'll have enough money on me those days. I'll take a look anyway, though, just in case :).

Madness had some extra U2-ishness on the version they just did on SNL, especially Matt's guitar. :wink: The sound was kinda muted til they broke it out, but otherwise they survived the bad SNL sound mix curse and came off well! (at least on this first song...)

Not a super huge fan, but I've always thought they were pretty good.
Have not heard The 2nd Law yet. But soon will.

That said, the first song - ("Madness", right?) they did on SNL was fucking great as far as I'm concerned. I hope the studio version can live up to it. The second funky song, Panic Station, I assume - left a lot to be desired.

Madness definitely has the Zooropa vibe all over it, but which U2 song do you suppose inspired Big Freeze? I'm sure hearing elements of Streets in the main guitar.

Pretty sure Madness is actually just a George Michael b-side.

Madness definitely has the Zooropa vibe all over it, but which U2 song do you suppose inspired Big Freeze? I'm sure hearing elements of Streets in the main guitar.

I'm hearing a meeting of 80s, 90s, and 00s U2 in Big Freeze, and not reminiscent of any one song in particular.

I almost got out my disco shoes to that SNL Panic Station performance last night. :dance:

Now that they showed a commercial (between breaks during snl) advertising the ticket sales next week (never seen this before) all I can say is we are SCREWED getting tix. There are several shows I want to go to. All dates are going on sale at the same time! Grr. Millions of people saw that commercial , the muse site actually crashed after that too. They don't have a paid membership either. Only thing that might help is if people pool together and buy extra tix. Tuesday is gonna be pure hell. I will be at work too.

Now that they showed a commercial (between breaks during snl) advertising the ticket sales next week (never seen this before) all I can say is we are SCREWED getting tix. There are several shows I want to go to. All dates are going on sale at the same time! Grr. Millions of people saw that commercial , the muse site actually crashed after that too. They don't have a paid membership either. Only thing that might help is if people pool together and buy extra tix. Tuesday is gonna be pure hell. I will be at work too.

Oh, dear.

I've only got the one date for my area (there is also Chicago, too, I guess, but Minneapolis is closer and we're all much more familiar with that city). But good luck, I hope it all gets sorted out well for you and everyone else.

I definitely hear a "Streets" vibe to that song, yes. Which would make sense, given Muse did cover that song at Glastonbury a couple years ago.

"Madness" would fit in on Zooropa, yeah, but I also think it wouldn't be too out of place on Achtung Baby, either.

Presale was a piece of cake! :D

got tix to Boston, NJ, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa. *keeping fingers crossed* that I can get tix to NY tomorrow this easily.:wink:

good luck to the west coasters today hope you get tix.

Yeah, I saw that it was pretty easy! Makes me feel better about hanging back and going for MSG tomorrow - was real tempted to buy a NJ ticket too, but the two shows are too close together and I'd rather do MSG. Hopefully they will do another go round in Fall 2013 or something too.

Hooray for you guys getting tickets! I'm glad it all went off well, and hope we hear of more shows soon for you guys who are still waiting on them.

Yeah, I'll have to wait until this weekend before I start looking around-just don't have the money on me right now. Will see how things go.

Disappointed by this album. Not that I expected Much after The Resistance. It starts off oh so promising, then quickly fades away. Will probably still go see them live, because most of the songs will sound better :)

In for Madison Square Garden! Guess people are not all that hip to the fan club pre-sale since it is still pretty easy to score a ticket through that. :wink:

Got my GAs for MSG... Was easy but they were sold out with a few minutes. Only seats are up now.

I got a seat ticket for this one...Muse is the only band with GA in my rotation that I will not do GA for because it gets pretty wild up front at their shows, at least the ones I've been to.

I got a seat ticket for this one...Muse is the only band with GA in my rotation that I will not do GA for because it gets pretty wild up front at their shows, at least the ones I've been to.

I'm not too concerned being up front.. I have before and as long as you are on the rail you are fine. 2nd row and back can get chaotic. I have GAs for 3 shows so far and I just plan on hanging back at soundboard.

Well, that was a breeze indeed. Floors for Vancouver. I was worried that the snl advertising and the free membership fan club was going to make this a lot harder that it actually was.
Bring on the Madness!

Back
Top Bottom