MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooh, ooh, I wanna go, too! *Jumps up and down*

Okay, so I caved :wink:. Couldn't help it, I read all the gushing and commentary and just had to listen. Unfortunately, I don't have an iTunes account, so I couldn't hear it there, but the songs are up on YouTube, so I listened to them there instead.

First off...okay, "Panic Station". Cracks. Me. The. Hell. Up. Seriously, just...what? I can hear the "Superstition" comparison xaviMF shared, but I also weirdly get a bit of a late '80s Oingo Boingo vibe of sorts from it (go listen to the song "Elevator Man" from their album Boi-Ngo and tell me I'm wrong). It's even more dance-oriented than "Supermassive Black Hole" (and who knew that was possible?) and the counting thing will be fun to sing along with, but my god, it really threw me for a loop when I heard it. But I get the feeling it's going to worm its way into my head in no time-I'm already kinda itching to hear it again.

(Yep. Listening again and I'm already tapping my feet and humming along. Dammit, this is ridiculously catchy.)

"Supremacy"-oh, god, the strings on this song, I am so in love with those strings :drool:. Very, VERY Bond-esque, indeed, if this song isn't on the soundtrack to the next Bond film or some other similar sort of action film, there is a soundtrack composer out there who should be fired :p. Lyrics are kinda goofy, but that music is fantastic and I like it.

I'm particularly fond of "Explorers" (PRETTY! Lots of piano and strings, and those being featured in a Muse song always make me happy. Others here mentioned wanting to hear Muse rock more, and that's always good, no argument there, but I've always been partial to the piano and orchestral side of the band, so songs like this make me go "Yay!"). And "Follow Me" is lovely as well, and that brings me to another thing here-wow, has Matt's voice changed a LOT or what? He sounds much lower and deeper on "Follow Me" and I...kinda like it. Again, bringing it back to the Oingo Boingo thing here, his voice is sounding kinda Elfman-esque at times on some of these songs and I find that really interesting. And "Isolated System"-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Me like. A LOT :yes: (and "Unsustainable" sounds even better in the context of the album. I like that song a lot more now).

As for Chris' moment on the album-I like the music in "Save Me" better, but think Chris particularly sounds good vocally on "Liquid State". Go figure :shrug:.

Veeeeeeeeeeeery interesting album. This one is definitely going to take a few listens to properly wrap my head around. And these songs are definitely going to be even better in a live setting, I just know it.

MoodyJ said:
:up: I can't express how in love I am with Supremacy and Panic Station. Overall, I am quite pleased with T2L.

Shove over lady, and make room for me. :sexywink:

Hehe! Sorry no room for u, get ur own. J/k. :giggle:

Love those songs too! And panic station is Funkadelic! Love it!

The overall album is very Queen-ish (as in the band) to me when they are not being Muse-ish. But two of the songs are very U2-ish...the previously discussed Madness, but Big Freeze also has U2 elements written all over it. And I heard what you sang there, Matt. :wink:

but Big Freeze also has U2 elements written all over it. And I heard what you sang there, Matt. :wink:

You're referring to the "electrical storm" bit, right :p? Hehe. I love the whole "driving on an open road" feel of that song.

"Panic Station" pretty much owns me now. Yep.

EDIT: LOL, just saw the comments about that song on YouTube. One person said:

Queen and Franz Ferdinand had a child together and it was this song.

:D

Panic Station is so much fun. And the live version sounds even better. I really can't wait to hear these new songs live. I think they will work better than The Resistance did, Uprising excepted.

On the Muse forums, Big Freeze is one of the least popular songs because it sounds like U2. Hee.

You're referring to the "electrical storm" bit, right :p? Hehe. I love the whole "driving on an open road" feel of that song.

"Panic Station" pretty much owns me now. Yep.

EDIT: LOL, just saw the comments about that song on YouTube. One person said:

Queen and Franz Ferdinand had a child together and it was this song.

:D

Yep, Electrical Storm...gives me a chuckle every time I hear it. :wink:

And I had almost the same reaction to Panic Station - going back and forth between whether it sounds more like Queen or Franz Ferdinand - so that YouTube poster nailed it! :lol:

On the Muse forums, Big Freeze is one of the least popular songs because it sounds like U2. Hee.

I wondered what the consensus was over there, and it is exactly as expected. I have seen it referred to as A Big Cheeze. :lol:

LOL. Muse fans can be funny sometimes. Any artist I like wants to get in touch with its inner U2, I have no problem with that whatsoever :D.

Neither do I. The U2 sound is probably why I do like it. :reject:

:up: I always smile when I hear that line.

Same here. I think that's kinda cool, actually :cute:.

And I had almost the same reaction to Panic Station - going back and forth between whether it sounds more like Queen or Franz Ferdinand - so that YouTube poster nailed it! :lol:

I hadn't heard the Franz Ferdinand thing until that comment, and now I can't unhear it :D. But again, that's okay, 'cause I love Franz Ferdinand. And Queen is cool, too. So a mix of the two sounds works for me.

I'm also starting to hear a slight late '80s INXS thing in spots, too, for some reason. I dunno. There's things about the song that just SCREAM "late '80s" to me.

Neither do I. The U2 sound is probably why I do like it. :reject:

Haha, hey, same here. If a band likes U2, cites them as an influence, has a similar sound, my interest tends to be automatically piqued. That's how it is with any of my favorite artists, actually.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Oh, cool, thanks for the clips! I'll try and give them a listen either tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Really curious to hear that Prince cover :hmm:.

The performance was great especially the Prince cover of Sign of the times. Pretty damn cool. And I am loving Follow Me! Omg

Agh, times like this I wish I had an iTunes account!

I'm anxious to hear about U.S. tour dates, too. I've already got a friend pestering me and asking when we'll hear about those :D (she's liked the couple songs she's heard by Muse in the past, and I made her a couple Muse mix CDs recently, so she can get to know them better and have more familiarity with their music by the time we do go see them in concert, if we get to do so). I definitely want to go see them again, and I'm excited about the idea of bringing my friends along so they can see how awesome these guys are in concert. Given their music tastes and whatnot, I have no doubt they would have an excellent time.

Crazy, their review is more positive than Popmatters. Wondering if I should hit this up on Spotify before buying it. I hate to not buy a Muse album, but it's not like I don't already have more than enough music I want to listen to more.

Got it today. Have to say, mixed feelings. Tracks like Supremacy and Liquid State are absolutely amazing, but then there's Panic Station, Survival and the dubstep shit that ruin it.

I love the good songs, but could've done without the last two tracks. I'll see how the songs will grow on me.

Critics are being extremely kind, I think. Doesn't deserve the 72 it has on metacritic, though they haven't added Pitchfork's review yet.

Agreed. Kinda the way I feel about the new Killers album, in reverse. Well, I like it, but I don't understand the acclaim.

Well, anyone pining for Absolution and the early days in general is not going to like the new record for sure.

I kinda feel sometimes that some Muse fans actually love two completely separate bands.

Which is odd, because there are some moments on the album where I do hear echoes of Absolution and Origin of Symmetry. Hell, I even hear things that remind me a bit of their music from the Hullabaloo CD.

I definitely agree with your second sentence. Muse has changed their sound up so much over the years, there's definitely a dividing line in terms of preference. Me, I happen to like each new "era" or sound or whatever, but I'm like that with every artist I love :p.

I also generally take critics' opinions on this band with a grain of salt, because I often get the feeling when I read reviews from professional critics that they either aren't very familiar with Muse's music in general and don't realize that over the top and bombastic is what the band does, or they just aren't into that style of music overall and so they're automatically turned off. These two reviews linked here don't seem to be like that, though, and make some interesting points-this line from the Pitchfork one actually made me laugh a bit:

And titans shall clash as Bellamy speaks with the conviction of a man who is either going to tell us they'll never take our freedom or to release the kraken.

I'm also glad that the PopMatters review noted that the Radiohead comparisons are kinda old now-the two bands are so far apart in sound, so it's definitely time to put those comparisons to rest now.

I could care less about what the critics are saying. If I like, love the songs (which are not the entire album)then that's all that matters.

Agreed. There are things I definitely love about this album right off the bat ("Madness", "Follow Me", "Explorers", "Isolated System"-definite favorites), and there's things I've been going back and forth on a bit. But the more I listened when previewing the songs last week, the more it grows on me, which I figured would happen.

Also, regarding the reviews...so am I alone in sticking up for The Resistance? I really do still like that album a lot.

Back
Top Bottom