MUSE PART 6: "You'll Wake The Thought Police"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too have a feeling a lot of the songs on this album could be the kind that grow on you-like I said, that's not an uncommon thing with these guys. Some songs you love immediately, others it takes a few listens before you go, "Okay, yeah, this is pretty cool.

Yep, I suspect that may very well be the case. While I'm not in love with Madness, I didn't scream "OMG, what kind of crap is this?" I consider that promising.

I've seen comparisons to U2, Prince and George Michael, and I do hear elements of each in Madness. It could be worse.

Good call, bollox, I would LOVE to hear them do "The Fly" :drool:. That would kick ass.

Why do you think he wasn't being serious? Is there (true, not press manufactured) bad blood there?

No, actually by all accounts they seem to respect and like each other. I seem to remember hearing something once about Chris Martin being influenced by a song on one of Muse's albums, he liked the organ sound they used on it or something, and wanted a similar thing for one of Coldplay's songs. And there's video from some early festival Muse were at back in, like, 2000, I think, where Matt told the crowd to check out Coldplay at some point, 'cause they were good. I'm not sure what U2Fanatic means with that, either, but eh, well.

Also, further confirmation of the U2 vibe:

Muse | Muse Influenced By U2 | Contactmusic

As I said in the "now playing" thread, I cannot stop listening to "Madness". It has wormed its way into my head :p. Cool to see Chris Martin likes it, too.

Yep, I suspect that may very well be the case. While I'm not in love with Madness, I didn't scream "OMG, what kind of crap is this?" I consider that promising.

I've seen comparisons to U2, Prince and George Michael, and I do hear elements of each in Madness. It could be worse.

Mmhm. Exactly. I'm looking forward to it, will be fun to finally hear everyone's thoughts on the album when it comes out.

Plus, sometimes these songs sound even better live, too. I wasn't sure about the song "Invincible" when I first heard it, but then when I saw it performed live I definitely found a new appreciation for the song and now I like it.

I've now listened to Madness several times. It's definitely better than anything on The Resistance.

I listened to that album last night.

I still really like it, myself. I think it holds up pretty well and there's some great songs on there *Shrugs*.

Good call, bollox, I would LOVE to hear them do "The Fly" :drool:. That would kick ass.

No, actually by all accounts they seem to respect and like each other. I seem to remember hearing something once about Chris Martin being influenced by a song on one of Muse's albums, he liked the organ sound they used on it or something, and wanted a similar thing for one of Coldplay's songs. And there's video from some early festival Muse were at back in, like, 2000, I think, where Matt told the crowd to check out Coldplay at some point, 'cause they were good. I'm not sure what U2Fanatic means with that, either, but eh, well.

Also, further confirmation of the U2 vibe:

Muse | Muse Influenced By U2 | Contactmusic

As I said in the "now playing" thread, I cannot stop listening to "Madness". It has wormed its way into my head :p. Cool to see Chris Martin likes it, too.

some Muse fans think his comment was a practical joke but maybe its true.. :shrug: and not alot are fans of Coldplay either. ( I am though). Musers are always joking around as is the band so these things that could get posted could be fake. I think its legit tho. That's what I was getting at..

some Muse fans think his comment was a practical joke but maybe its true.. :shrug: and not alot are fans of Coldplay either. ( I am though). Musers are always joking around as is the band so these things that could get posted could be fake. I think its legit tho. That's what I was getting at..

Gotcha. Yeah, I had a feeling you might've been referring to it possibly being a joke or something, 'cause your reasoning certainly makes sense. Thanks for expanding on it, though :).

I like both bands, too. It's always neat to hear comments from other artists about a band's work-they often seem more open about all kinds of music than the fans do sometimes.

Plus, sometimes these songs sound even better live, too. I wasn't sure about the song "Invincible" when I first heard it, but then when I saw it performed live I definitely found a new appreciation for the song and now I like it.

That is a good point. At the very least at lot of songs are more tolerable live, unless they're not... *cough* Neutron Star Collision *cough*...

so keane is also praising Madness..

Yes, I saw that tweet earlier.

MoodyJ said:
That is a good point. At the very least at lot of songs are more tolerable live, unless they're not... *cough* Neutron Star Collision *cough*...

Yes, I saw that tweet earlier.

U said that out loud? Lol referring to NSC of course. :giggle:

I think NSC would be tolerable if it wasn't for those god-awful lyrics. I mean, lyrics were never Matt's strong point and at best they're just average, but this song is just... abominably bad.

Madness is a proof that Matt can write a love song with lyrics that don't make me want to throw up.

Lol, I think the Zooropa comparisons with Madness aren't that far fetched. It took me a long time to appreciate the album. And now I'm hearing Madness more often (it's the hit of the week on the radio), I'm starting to get used to it. I still miss the old, louder Muse. But it's not actually as bad as I thought it was. Quite a relaxing song. The solo still reminds me of "I Want To Break Free" tho.

Oh, yeah, there's a definite similarity between the two songs. But hey, being compared to U2 or Queen isn't a bad thing, so... Also, am I weird, or does anyone else hear a slight bit of a Duran Duran influence, too, like, early '90s era Duran Duran, towards the end, when the music gets all shimmery and whatnot?

I love Muse's loud and crazy songs, too, no question. They do know how to make some kickass rock songs, and I don't ever want them to let go of that side of them altogether. But I'm also one of those who likes their more pop-oriented, shall we say, moments as well, so that's probably partially why I'm into this song. Glad to hear it's growing on you some, though. And again, for those who aren't as into this stuff, I understand this won't be to everyone's liking, and that's fine, too.

In other news, I saw this thing online earlier stating that Muse will be the musical guest on "SNL" on October 6th (yay!):

Seth MacFarlane to Host Saturday Night Live Premiere — Season 38 - TVLine

So there's that to check out in the future as well :).

Will have to let my sister know about that, then-she can watch for Daniel, I can watch for Muse :wink: (she does like Muse, but I think Daniel Craig would be the bigger pull for her there).

And that show is airing ON my birthday. Oooh, the first week of October in general will be a very nice week for me :D.

^ It is growing on me a little bit, but I still don't think it's a great song, and the lyrics, which aren't exactly Muse's strength in general, appear to me particularly dull this time.

I'll wait for the album to arrive before I will judge their new music, but I hope it has more to offer than "Madness".

Wasn't sure about it in the beginning, but something still made me buy it upon release, and it's grown on me big time, like a fungus, but a good fungus. It's really a fucking cool song, and yes there is most definitely a Zooropa vibe going on here. Very different compared to anything else on the radio right now. Loving this tune, and I look forward to their album.

Muse played a gig in Germany which included Supremacy, Panic Station, Animals, Save Me and Follow Me. There are recordings of each one, not very good quality at the moment. I'm suddenly back to being excited about this album.

Here's part of Panic Station. It's super funky and features some great falsetto.

Muse - Panic Station - The 2nd Law @ E-Werk Koln 20-9-2012 - YouTube

Here's Animals. The guitar solo is :drool:

Muse - Animal - The 2nd Law @ E-Werk Koln 1/2 20-9-2012 - YouTube

Muse - Animal - The 2nd Law @ E-Werk Koln 2/2 20-9-2012 - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom